Laundry smells...

I appreciate that this won’t go down well, and I do not want to tell people how to do their washing, but I just wanted to make a gentle suggestion about the use of dryer sheets and fabric conditioners.

I bought a jumper last week that smelt so strongly of fabric conditioner that I had to hang it outside and plan to leave it there until the smell abates and it’s ok to bring into the house….

I have to say, I do not understand the recent fetish for overly fragranced clothes. Is it some sort of sociological thing, advertising to all that your clothes are clean, like the way people used to take pride in scrubbing their doorsteps…?

Clean doesn't actually have a smell, it's the absence of smell. Clothes have a visual and tactile quality but not necessarily an olfactory element. It must be awful working next to someone who’s clothes reek of washing powder or fabric conditioner.

I mentioned this in the (positive) feedback I left for the seller but he went ballistic and said I simply had to wash it and replace it with the smell I preferred… the problem is these smells are designed to cling to things for weeks and one wash (even with vinegar) doesn’t do it. Also, it indicated he doesn’t understand – I don’t want the clothes to smell of anything in particular… just neutral is fine. In fact, if I buy second-hand clothes (which I frequently like to do), I don’t really mind if they smell of old wardrobe or even slightly musty– this can easily be remedied with a quick wash.

Also, it’s wasteful – I like to reuse packaging if it’s still fit for purpose but I have to throw the packaging away because it permeates the plastic and can even be smelt before it’s opened

Anyway, this is just a plea to hold back a wee bit on these things because not everyone enjoys reeking of artificial smells. I’m a 59-year-old man, I don’t want to smell of perfume or like my mum washed my clothes…. Why not use Ecover or something unscented? Clean clothes are preferable, of course, but there is no need to underline it or ruin good clothes with these artificial odours…  

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Laundry smells...

"I have to say, I do not understand the recent fetish for overly fragranced clothes"

There isn't one. 

It's all about who you buy from. A business will be different to a private seller. Chances are a private seller is running things from a bedroom or spare room and so they'll not really have the abilities or professionalism to provide that sort of service. It's likely they'll just bung clothes they are planning on selling into a washing machine with their bi-weekly general washing and use what they have around the house. To them, they aren't going to put money into buying something they'd otherwise never use just so they can clean and sell some of their unwanted clothes. 

With a business, things will be on a much bigger and more professional level. They won't want the used clothes they sell smelling like some household Daz or Bold. They may have access to dry cleaning on site or steamers.

It comes down to presentation and unforunately it's to be expected that buying something from someone selling clothing from their home that they no longer want, won't have the professional finish a business will provide.

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

Laundry smells...

Oooh  Daz and Bold I'm sure they're both revamped and  still sold now,  but it brings back sweet memories seeing that box of Daz next to my mum's toploading twin tub !

As to the post in question ,  I do see the issue here with some of the now very strong smelling  conditioners/softeners.

Recently,  bought one very well known brand,  and unfortunately the Large size too,   and on completion of a wash,   the smell of the clothes was awful, so  straight back into the machine,  no extras,   just the bsic cleaning fluid ,  and the large bottle ( no wonder it had a sale price) straight into bin !

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

Laundry smells...

Thanks - yes, having never used the stuff for years I am not up-to-date but I have heard that it is a stronger formula now... Interesting.

There certainly is a place for softeners and fabric conditioners, I just question the strength of it and the overpowering smell attached to them.

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Laundry smells...

'There isn't one'.

Er, in your opinion. Subjective, I guess, but I don't remember in my youth passing runners in the street or standing next to someone in a shop who reeked to high heaven of clothes 'freshness'.

Perhaps fetish was an overstatement but I think it has become something of a fashion, another contemporary and possibly misguided aspiration led by the manufacturers of laundry additives.

I know it's people in their homes, like me, who just like to sell a few things they no longer want. I am pretty sure most people can afford an unfragranced conditioner but I imagine it's extra trouble to prepare clothes differently for selling, as you say, and I doubt mine or anyone else's post will make them stop and question it.

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

Laundry smells...

I remember my stepmother wouldn't use anything else but Daz and another ancient one Omo.😁

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

Laundry smells...

I actually hate fabric conditioners. I only ever use non bio powder for ALL my washing - sheets and towels, the lot. Weather permitting I dry it on the line because I love the smell of fresh air.

I have occasionally sold used  clothing which I put through a normal wash and have sometimes had feedback complimenting me on the cleanness of my items.

I totally understand the OP and agree with him.

******************************************************************************************