Kitchen window will not unlock

Your thoughts please. Woman Happy

My kitchen windows are double-glazed, and lock with a key. One of the windows will not unlock with the key, it's as if the handle has dropped a bit. 

Would it be possible for me to ask a repair man to fix the actual lock, or would I end up having to have a whole new window? 

Message 1 of 32
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wiggle the handle up and down a bit as you try to turn the key, it might just need a bit of pressure taken off it too work  or even pull the window in a bit by the handle as something just might be holding it out a bit and causing pressure on the lock making it impossible to release.

Message 13 of 32
See Most Recent
31 REPLIES 31

Hi

Worst case senario....I think you would probably just need to have the handle replaced.

Message 2 of 32
See Most Recent

Thank you Glyn. 

Just I was thinking as the bolts are down due to the handle being locked it might be hard for getting it unlocked. So I started to think possibly the whole window would need replacing. 

I know a lot about cooking, but of course not knowing technical thingies like locks. Woman Frustrated 

Message 3 of 32
See Most Recent

To be honest if someone knows what they are doing it should not be that difficult.

Basically it is just a case of taking the handle off and there should be a bar running top to middle and bottom to middle, with a lever on them.  It is just a case of adjusting them to open the window.

We have similar windows at home.....all replaced 5 years ago and i fixed a similar problem.

Message 4 of 32
See Most Recent

If you have some, try squirting a bit of WD40 in the lock and wiggle the key about a bit, you may be able to unlock it.

Message 5 of 32
See Most Recent

That's great, thank you so much Glyn. Woman Happy Peace of mind for me now, as of course I had hoped I would not need to have a whole new window replacement. 

Message 6 of 32
See Most Recent

Thank you too Misspeaches Woman Happy  I will give that a try before I phone for a repair man. 

Message 7 of 32
See Most Recent

I was going to suggest that but was not sure how confident you feel in giving it a go yourself 🙂

OR ....a neighbour who is handy around the house to save you calling out "a professional"?

Message 8 of 32
See Most Recent

I have some WD40 in the cupboard. Useful stuff isn't it. Woman Happy

Good thought about me asking a neighbour, one comes to mind, he might be able to help. I could bake him a few cakes as a thank you if he cures the problem. Woman Very Happy I will give him a few less if he can't.  Woman LOL

Thankyou Glyn and Misspeaches. Woman Very Happy

Message 9 of 32
See Most Recent

here you go Littleme, i'll expect some nice cakes in the post for this

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unlock+or+replace+fauty+window+lock

Petal
Message 10 of 32
See Most Recent

Wow. I just clicked on the first link there Petal, so simple that looks to do it. Ooo, I could easily try that. I might even get a job in the future if anyone else has the same problem. Woman Very Happy

Best I get making those cakes right this minute. >>>>> Getting my pinny on. Woman LOL

Thank you. Woman Very Happy

I have just tried the WD40, unfortunately no luck with that, but thank you Misspeaches for the thought. 

Of course I am grateful, and to Glyn and Petal as well. You are all stars. Woman Very Happy

Message 11 of 32
See Most Recent

The moral of this story is......we aint just pretty good at helping others with ebay problems 🙂

Message 12 of 32
See Most Recent

Wiggle the handle up and down a bit as you try to turn the key, it might just need a bit of pressure taken off it too work  or even pull the window in a bit by the handle as something just might be holding it out a bit and causing pressure on the lock making it impossible to release.

Message 13 of 32
See Most Recent

So right you are Glyn. Woman Very Happy I am very grateful for the help given. 

I will for sure give that a try first in the morning Dark_castle. Sounds good and easy too. Woman Very Happy Well worth a try. If I have no luck then I will have a go at the link Petal put on. Woman Very Happy 

Oo, you all deserve some cakes. Woman Very Happy

Message 14 of 32
See Most Recent

You on commission for getting new members for Weightwatchers? lol

Message 15 of 32
See Most Recent

Woman LOL I do though save some people from having too many extra calories, as I test all my cakes first. I am thoughtful like that see. Woman Very Happy

Message 16 of 32
See Most Recent

My neighbour makes me laugh....been going to Weightwatchers for years.  She is lovely and rather a large girl.

I caught her buying lots of bags of chocolate and marshmellows once in our local store....she looked at me, laughed and said "these are for when i come out of weightwatchers feeling really hungry " !    

Message 17 of 32
See Most Recent

Such a laugh for sure. Woman LOL 

Message 18 of 32
See Most Recent

My hubby loves all the cakes and sweet stuff, flatly refuses to go with me to slimming world.

What he said he will do is try to be good at home, so for lunch instead of a couple of cakes after his cornish pastie 2 slices of bread and butter and a packet of cheesey whatsits, he has one cake and an activia yogurt for his diet........haha Smiley LOL

Message 19 of 32
See Most Recent

My daughters used to make me laugh when they went to the gym, afterwards they would come back to mine and eat everything in sight.😀

Message 20 of 32
See Most Recent