eBay refunded buyer before non return of item, never provided option for return label

Hi all,

Quite a strange and frustrating one. I sold an item for approx £1020, (A laptop) and around 5 days later the buyer opened a case saying the screen was damaged and opened a case "Not described as listed" with eBay. 

I had asked the buyer to provide some photos as it was not sent out damaged, (photos in the listing of the screen, and also the packaging when it was sent out - I've never had a damaged item although understand it can happen). This went off over for a few days where eBay was going to refund the buyer, I then put a claim forward to eBay there was no evidence of the item being damaged from the buyer. They then put the case on hold again, and the status was "Hang on, we're still reviewing your case. We'll be in touch soon" so I thought great ok, they're getting the photos or awaiting something from the buyer. Then a few days later they closed the case in his favour and have deducted the money from my PayPal account and the buyer hasn't even sent the item back. Looking into it, if a label isn't provided then the buyer isn't at any obligation to send the item back, but I have dealt with returns before and have had an option to provide a label via Royal Mail on eBay. But with this return as it was put on hold as I disputed it, I was never actually given the option of providing an automatically generated label through eBay. I have the screenshots of the case and can see there is no option whatsoever, and that on the last one it's saying "If you change your mind, you can refund the buyer to close this case"  also with "Edit return address" but no option whatsoever to create a return label. I have messaged the buyer several times to confirm his address to get a return label sorted but funnily enough, he is not responding to any messages. 

The case is also now stating as the item as "Returned", but there is absolutely nothing to indicate the buyer has returned the item. I would be happy to refund the buyer but only once the item has been returned, 

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

I'm sorry to say you've totally messed up! When you disputed the return you gave eBay the power to decide on your behalf (in the t&c's you signed upon joining eBay!) how to resolve the case. 

Now all you're left with is an appeal to eBay as they've forced the refund, by the way they've also told the buyer to dispose of the item as they see fit (again in the t&c's you agreed to!).

Your final option is to use small claims court, this is assuming you're correctly registered with eBay (are you a business?)  and are yourself conforming to distance selling regs.

I'm future, accept any not as described claim and get your item back. Then argue the finer details afterwards.! 

Unfortunately you chose the most excruciating way. It's best to provide a return label for the buyer, have the item inspected and then contest the refund even by asking ebay to step in need be. In this way you would have at least got to keep the laptop.

I had  a similar case but unlike you I was able to refund the buyer and facilitate the return a day before the deadline set by eBAY otherwise they would have just done  what they did to you.

As someone said you might want to take the buyer to court and see what happens especially given the value of the item.

Depending on how long ago it happened, you might want to appeal eBay's decision and see what happens.

Either ways good luck!

You should have just accepted the return and provided a label without disputing it..then you would have received the laptop back before refunding..as it stands the buyer has been refunded and still has the item