Why is ebay so hard to sell on now

I remember when i first started on my first account back in 2005, it was so easy to sell things, it didn't really matter what it was, you could post it on auction and it would sell within a week or two maximum and you'd get quite a few bidders and a reasonable price, i remember when the fraud started in about 2008/09, i had a lot a lot of people buying things and saying they had never had them and you'd have to file a claim with the post office, especially people from mexico and UK buyers, i remember as i sold internationally then, i closed that down when we left the EU because i knew nobody would bid on anything due to the added customs fees, i stopped buying internationally for the same reasons, i remeber you had to start charging more for postage for things to get it tracked and signed for to reduce fraud and genunine lost parcels, everyone seemed to hate that, though i dispute most of them because everything gets a deliever confirmation these days and almost everything gets delivered, touch wood, idk when it started but it must have been in the 2010's 99p auctions became impossible as you'd be lucky to get that for a high value item, you're literally lucky to get 1 bid on an auction these days so i just ask for the price i think its worth now, what ensues is lots of waiting and dead air, then suddenly sometimes out of nowhere you get a bid, everyone says do buy it now only you do that pay fees and nobody ever buys it invariably, so i add nearest offer to my listings, it gives me a chance to check feedback of buyers and avoid the cranks, an example of this recently was some bloke offered me a pound for a £2 jigsaw, then when i checked his feedback he was buying them doing them and trying to return them constantly then opening a case saying they were incomplete and getting to keep them and selling them himself, i get so many clowns like this and i block them, then you get genuine people who offer for things then simply want them for literally nothing at that point it's like why am i even here at all, i had to end one auction for this reason and ebay charged me for it and not like 20p but like £3, when i called up about it the woman basically said it was my fault for cancelling his bid and ending the auction, despite him bidding, retracting it then bidding again, now i hear the government want ebay to report us to hmrc for selling stuff from around the house i don't want anymore, i got the distinct impression on the phone to ebay they didn't really care if you bothered selling as a small person, she was like go to a boot sale, last time i saw that near me was the 90's, ebay is my only way to sell the junk lying around my house or stuff i buy and decide not two use, now a few days ago i got a message from ebay saying we are now having to pay some new fee for everything we sell, it just feels like a huge waste of time, you put all the work in listing things only for it to sit there for months on end, I'm very lucky if i sell 3 things a week, usually nothing to 2 things, i just think everyone just buys off amazon unless its a niche item you can't get on there, ebay is a much smaller pond now, facebook marketplace is a joke in comparison, constant messages from cranky old people who say they'll come get it but never do or just dead air, i won't use it, i still prefer ebay to sell but at some point you have to ask why you even bother, i think you're better off just getting rid of what you have then being very careful what you buy because getting rid of stuff is a nightmare these days unless its a very popular item like a playstation that a lot of people want, i don't know what anyone else thinks probably the opposite based on my few posts on here over the years, almost like its full of ebay employees or something.

Message 1 of 119
See Most Recent
118 REPLIES 118

Re: Why is ebay so hard to sell on now

@dunstun365 wrote:

What is CASSINI?

Cassini is eBay's search engine.

Believe me it is 100% corrupt ! - It does not show 100% of all the items listed on eBay and eBay delibrerately program (manipulate) it so that it only shows PAID PROMOTED LISTINGS AND TOP BUSINESS SELLERS ITEMS the rest of our humble domestic listings are all GHOSTED AND HIDDEN until eBay feels like showing them after 6 months of relisting them over and over again !

Message 81 of 119
See Most Recent

Someone here said Vinted is good & I just found out that it isn't just for selling clothes etc. 

Message 82 of 119
See Most Recent

Oh wow, just stop. 

Pretty serious accusations there for someone selling old door locks which are a niche subject. So excuse me if your completely incorrect claims that it's "100% corrupt" without a shred of proof are taken with a pinch of salt. 

It may not, well certainly not be true that eBay are doing what you say, but it is 100% true for most that as I'd for locks you are attempting to sell are junk nobody wants. 

Either way, if they are ghosting and hiding your listings, so be it because afterall you are buying in, repairing and selling on for profit old door locks which means you should be on a business account. So if eBay want to hide your listings because you aren't, then that's fair enough. It serves you right for diddling the system. 

You've been told this many a time by a variety of members but repeatedly you choose to ignore it so any repurcussuins are entirely deserved. What was it you said not long back? You won't do a logo or different profile picture as you don't want to increase the chances of being flagged as selling as a business. Nice. 

Message 83 of 119
See Most Recent

Yeah I looked at that site about 4 months and came to the conclusion It's mainly for selling clothes but I think they might some day broaden their horizons.

There are other sites to sell on - Just google search and you'll find them as I am not allowed to mention them on here from fear of the eBay Mafia having a go at me ! 😞  

Message 84 of 119
See Most Recent

Why don't you stop defending eBay - Cat's out of the bag now !

Message 85 of 119
See Most Recent

Now going to stop wasting my time selling here and sell elsewhere where they're no nasty and vindictive people hiding my listings and playing silly games. 

Message 86 of 119
See Most Recent

Well said!

Message 87 of 119
See Most Recent

I agree, PL  is a fee hike by the back door & simply not worth it for cheap items.

Message 88 of 119
See Most Recent

Just ignore them, they're trying to revive the ebay "fan club" from a few years back.  They might well be one of the original club under another different name.  The "ebay can do no wrong message" is the same, the constant "you should register as a business" accusations are the same, their unfounded belief that they are always right, is the same.

As someone on another thread pointed out, their rude and aggressive style of writing has already led to confrontational exchanges with 4 -5 other members (including myself) and that's only this week!!! 

Message 89 of 119
See Most Recent

PL shouldn't be necessary for one-off items in collectables categories either.  Collectors will know the key-words to use when searching in their particular niche and use them to find what they want.

For a long time I was "on the fence" about whether or not ebay hides listings.  The question of "Why should they" always stopped me from fully believing ebay would do so. 

Until ebay introduced PL fees.  That is the perfect reason why ebay would hide listings  --  to take extra fees.

What proved that they do beyond any doubt for me was when I listed a rare piece of Walther Glass from the 1930s.  Collectors of vintage glass from that era will know the name, anything unusual will get views even if the viewer has no intention of buying, they will still want to look at a piece they have never seen before and will probably never see again. 

As I do when I have no idea of a price to put on an item I listed as a 7 day auction with a low(ish) start price of £19 (No PL).  In a week it got a couple of views, no Watchers, no bids.  Re-listed as BIN still little interest but eventually it did sell.  Most likely when someone saw it at the bottom of the search results in the "Listings with fewer words" section.

The previous two years my sales on ebay have fallen to 13 per year without paying PL.  This year they have fallen to 3 so far.  Ebay can't really make it any clearer IMO  --  if I don't pay for PL, I have little chance of being allowed to sell anything, whereas on another (smaller) site I've sold 26 items this year.

Message 90 of 119
See Most Recent

For ages i was in the same boat as others fearing my listings were not visable etc etc

I never promote listings.

Then shock....about a month ago nearly everything i listed sold !   Lots of views and watchers which resulted in sales.

So thinking i would take advantage IF i am "now switched back on" i recently listed 18 items (way more than i usually do) and guess what?     Looks like i am off again 😞

As usual my listings are all varied and all excellent quality.

Message 91 of 119
See Most Recent

I am sorry but that was not nice telling another member that their listed items are junk that no one wants especially when they are already frustrated with the site.     I guess the word "diplomatic" is not in your vocabulary.     One can make their point to another member without being insulting when that member is obviously already down.

On the above subject my personal opinion is that your clothes are junk too  (referring to the ones you sell with holes in them).   Yes i know you are a TRS and obv doing well but still .......

We all may have opinions but sometimes it better not to air them so directly and actually have a little empathy for others.   In life its often not what one says but the way it is said.

Ok you obv THINK they are a business but again i feel you are being too direct and he knows others may think that too....only he knows the truth

Message 92 of 119
See Most Recent

I get it probably more than others how frustrated you are but please stop saying the words "corrupt and extortion in relation to the site " on a public forum as this could land you in serious trouble.

You know i already get it.  

Message 93 of 119
See Most Recent

He has said previously that he started collecting the locks when he was 14 and a kid and now selling off some of his collection.   I nor you can prove otherwise so i honestly feel we should take that part of what he says at face value. 

Message 94 of 119
See Most Recent

or it could be said why do you just not close your account and leave the site if it is so 'corrupt' etc?   I really do not understand someone with so much venom staying somewhere they hate!  It may not be perfect in so many ways but it is what it is and the only way changes would be made if those unhappy with it left instead of just whining on here.

Message 95 of 119
See Most Recent

@1956glyn wrote:

I am sorry but that was not nice telling another member that their listed items are junk that no one wants especially when they are already frustrated with the site.     I guess the word "diplomatic" is not in your vocabulary.     One can make their point to another member without being insulting when that member is obviously already down.

On the above subject my personal opinion is that your clothes are junk too  (referring to the ones you sell with holes in them).   Yes i know you are a TRS and obv doing well but still .......

We all may have opinions but sometimes it better not to air them so directly and actually have a little empathy for others.   In life its often not what one says but the way it is said.

Ok you obv THINK they are a business but again i feel you are being too direct and he knows others may think that too....only he knows the truth

If I were really a business, The first thing I would have done in eBay is OPEN A SHOP and then REGISTERED AS A BUSINESS SELLER SO I CAN GET A NICE POWER SELLER STATUS ADVANTAGE TO SHOW OFF !...

Truth is I am not a business. I was just another copycat private seller watching other sellers doing so well... and I was after some extra cash !... So I started raiding my old lock collection (I have well over 1000 locks which I have  been collecting since late 1991 when I was a 14 year old school boy)...

some 33 years later>>> here in the last part of 2024 on this forum I find myself explaining...

Well, I stuck one lock on eBay auction in 2007, it was a nice solid brass Chubb cabinet lock from 1885 with the VR crown logo and Chubb fish logo and 2 original Chubb keys... I put this lock on a 7 day auction not expecting to get much for it, my starting bid was just £10... but within the first day I had seen a massive bidding war had taken place and it was on £90 somthing pounds ! - That lock  sold for something like £161,00 ! when the auction ended - I was so amazed !!! - I thought This is good !! - After this it all started and I listed and sold many more of my old locks that I even could afford to buy my disabled mum a mobility scooter (something that she had always wanted)... things were great and I used the money to buy many tools and items I wanted off eBay which I otherwise could never have afforded... but from 2013 onwards things then started to change and I was forced to increase my prices when I got a few non paying bidders and had stop selling via auctions and sell via Buy-It-Now instead...

Never the less, I still did well right up to about 2020/21... then things really started to go down hill where I was no longer selling many items and my views started to remain on 0-1 views on most of my stuff with the occasional one-off sale happening randomly every now and again... but this year... 2024 from July onwards has been the worst ever with no sales for over 7 weeks...

I have now totally given up on eBay now as it is obvious they are not going to let me make anymore  sales... unless I pay for their promoted listings (or Business seller terms) 😞

All I can say is It was good while it lasted... Now have to do something else and ditch eBay as it is now no go... 😞

Message 96 of 119
See Most Recent

The problem is that when someone starts out with an aggressive stance then the responses usually reflect that.   Have you (or Bitty Boy) ever considered that just maybe no one actually wants old locks at the current time?  It is a pretty niche market and just like old glass etc these things go in and out of fashion.   It happens on every site/place that old stuff is sold.   It does not necessarily mean that listings are being hidden (not saying they are or are not because i do not know)

Message 97 of 119
See Most Recent

I  am trying to cool things down.

Indeed things do go in and out of fashion.   This is why i may list something and if it does not sell i just put it away again until trends change.  Saying that if i am honest i would expect at least one lock to sell every now and then as people are continually restoring antique furniture etc.

I too am not 100% sure if listings are indeed hidden.....it just feels that way at times 😞  Promoted listings do not work for me as i tried it just the once and it made no difference at all.

Message 98 of 119
See Most Recent

I just had a thought....do you not have a few other different items to list from around home?

If you need extra funds see what else you have to sell lying about.  

Message 99 of 119
See Most Recent

I tried PL once on one of my more 'expensive' items and i actually got less views than the rest of the time!   Because most of my items are low value clothes and bric a brac i do not expect or get many sales and i am certainly not paying more than the item is worth to promote them!   My hobby is jigsaws and they sell extremely slowly because of the postage pushing the price up more than in charity shops even.  I sell them usually on the car boot for a lot less (same after fees) but this year they have been really difficult to sell.  I have bought loads for my collection though as they are selling cheap because no one wants them!   Hopefully next year will be better. 

Message 100 of 119
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: