Why do eBay concentrate on pandering to buyers, however unreasonable they are, over sellers

Why do eBay concentrate on pandering to buyers, however unreasonable they are, over sellers that may have been trading for decades and have a spotless reputation.

I have recently had my 100% feedback score spoiled by a buyer with a feedback score of 4, seems to barely understand English, rarely answers messages so my efforts to get the problem resolved are blocked at every turn by the buyer.

I have traded on eBay for over 20 years and had 100% feedback, with many very very positive comments, so anyone with half an ounce of common sense would look at this would see that I could not physically do any more to resolve this, but sadly not eBay. I have repeatedly asked them to remove the negative feedback, but they refuse, claiming that is does not contravene any of their policies, and repeatedly sending condesending advise to make sure I list the items correctly etc.

Furthermore it seems to be getting harder to talk to an actual living human being, the only available options being going around and around in circles with various forms of AI .

This seems to be a very self destructive business model to routinely side with casual buyers against the sellers that actually generate their income.

Message 1 of 34
See Most Recent
33 REPLIES 33

Why do eBay concentrate on pandering to buyers, however unreasonable they are, over sellers

The feedback although negative is very polite and innocuous, to anyone reading it they would just think the buyer was asking a question in the wrong place, which could be the reason the buyer had not seen your messages or did not know what to do to return for a refund being new to ebay.

Your written reply to the feedback is indignant and unhelpful to your business - had you replied - Do not worry we are here to help you, your business is important to us, please contact me personally via ebay messages and  I will arrange for  a replacement or  a refund.  Many Thanks.

Why should ebay remove this feedback ? - if your messages were falling on deaf ears a simple call to ebay CS requesting that they message the seller to respond usually wakens the dead 

Message 2 of 34
See Most Recent

An ebay sale is not a private sale.

It is a sale covered by uk distance selling laws and this gives the buyer many rights.

Message 3 of 34
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

While eBay takes their fees from sellers, it is buyers that generate it.  They have always worked hardest to keep buyers happy,  just look at the paucity of seller protection contained within the policies. 

Message 4 of 34
See Most Recent

Since 2014 the Consumer Contracts regulations  apply to buyers and sellers online, regulations provide specific details on how to comply with the law.

Regulations are rules made by a government agency to implement or enforce those laws.

Thought I would throw this in as you seemed to want to change the discussion to distance selling laws

Message 5 of 34
See Most Recent

I think the seller is being fair in this situation

Buyer was expecting to get a refund AND keep the "broken" item, almost as if they thought the MBG meant they could have free items..... 

I think anyone who received a broken item would not expect to keep it 

Why would you want to keep it if it genuinely IS broken?

Message 6 of 34
See Most Recent

It is not whether the seller is being fair - it is how you handle feedback. 

If you put yourself in the viewing publics eyes who read the polite but negative feedback as a simple question, bearing in mind  they would not know anything of the background  and  they read a reply to the question in a positive, friendly and helpful manner the OP could have turned the negative into a visual positive.

This in turn would draw potential buyers to him  instead  the OP chose to warn potential buyers to avoid the leaver of the feedback.

This is a negative and only satisfies the OP's lust for revenge as to the perceived wrong - this  will turn potential buyers away from him because it relates to the background events not the question raised politely in feedback.

Sellers often miss the opportunity to sell themselves when negative feedback is received instead they allow a red mist to descend and vent their anger publicly in feedback response which might satisfy their anger but damages their business.

This is a relatively new phenomenon since the advent of online selling and social media - a spat face to face  may be witnessed by a few - a spat online is visible to many

Message 7 of 34
See Most Recent

paucity !  I had to look that one up - great word

Message 8 of 34
See Most Recent

My reply was harsh because the buyer acted completely inapropriately, I replied to him immediately when he advised me the item did not work, which I truly believe the problem is user error, however he did not reply to me and left the negative feedback.

Since then I have messaged him several times and contacted eBay, who will not remove the feedback, and did contact the buyer but he did not reply to them , at this point I foolishly thought that eBay would see who was at fault and remove the feedback, but they refused.

I bend over backwards to maintain 100% rating and am absolutely disgusted that eBay will allow someone like this to sully my reputation.

Message 9 of 34
See Most Recent

I don't think I would call the buyers post polite, and his actions of leaving negative feedback without giving me a chance to resolve the issue, are certainly not.

I have sent numerous messages to him and sent a returns label over a week ago but have heard nothing.

This is not how to use negative feedback, it should be a last resort when the other party will not remedy the problem.

Message 10 of 34
See Most Recent

That's fair enough but the buyer can't complain if they are given a solution and choose to ignore it.

Message 11 of 34
See Most Recent

On a positive note, I would not be put off from buying from you regarding the neg, or your reply.

While it's always worth repeated attempts to get it removed, it will soon be moved further & further along, plus most buyers don't even bother to read FB IMO.

Message 12 of 34
See Most Recent

Why on earth does the buyer want to keep a broken item?

I would be so bold as to say the item ISNT broken, but the buyer has seen adverts or one of these websites that coach you on "how to get free stuff from eBay". Look them up, there are loads that tell you how to scam eBay sellers. 

Buyer was very disappointed that the item they pretended was broken (but isnt) has to be returned, because he bought it because he wanted to use it but thought he would not have to pay for it, and wanted it "FREE" like the "Get things for free on eBay" website told them it would be! Buyer takes anger out on seller....

ETA the websites I just read tell buyers you wont need to return items to get your refund... so I think that was what the buyer was expecting....

Message 13 of 34
See Most Recent

This is what annoys me the most with eBay, they know about the scams but still refuse to protect the seller.

Message 14 of 34
See Most Recent

Thanks for that, it's much appreciated.

Message 15 of 34
See Most Recent

I am 100% confident that I have complied with every rule and regulation, the buyer doesn't respond to messages from myself or eBay.

Message 16 of 34
See Most Recent

I've just had a very good  result from eBay who took my side over a difficult buyer.

My seller preferences are UK only but some smart alec in China got round that by using a UK forwarding address. When the item eventually arrived in China he immediately filed a SNAD saying it was broken so I offered a partial refund and when that was refused issued a return label from the UK address. eBay froze the funds and gave him until May 16 to return the item. When it didn't turn up by May 15 they closed the case and banked the frozen funds next day. With the case closed in my favour they can't leave F/B. Job done?

Message 17 of 34
See Most Recent

You could have easily pointed out to eBay that the buyer lost all buyer protection when they had the item forwarded to another address and they would have closed the case in your favour 

Message 18 of 34
See Most Recent

That was the first thing I did but they just ignored it. So it wasn't a 100% good result?

Message 19 of 34
See Most Recent

Sometimes you have to send them the relevant text showing the buyer has lost Buyer Protection as CS are abroad and deal with queries from all over the world. they often are not familiar with the eBay rules, but if you send them a link to the policy they can see the buyer does not qualify for buyer protection

Message 20 of 34
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: