Why do EBay always side with the buyers?

I sell my own stuff which I have collected over the years. I always state the items

are used and describe the condition and add plenty of photos. I do not accept returns because of the way I list the items in depth. 
However I have a buyer who is claiming the item is 'defective' (which is shown on the return request but which he denies in his emails) but the item is NOT defective. Just because it's not  what he was expecting he is calling me a liar! Surely he could have clarified before bidding if he wanted to know about something? 
So why is it EBay agree with him? What happens to caveat emptor (buyer beware)?
I feel as a seller that I am being stitched up by EBay and I have to accept their decision. I am really upset at eBay and am considering going elsewhere to sell now. Am I alone in this?

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

You are by no means  alone,  in feeling angry and frustrated when something like this happens,  we all do,  however, in eBay's defense here , they cannot see the item in question,  do not know who is telling the truth,  so the fairest outcome they can muster,  is the item is sent back to the seller,  and a full refund to the buyer.  Seller fees are refunded if the case is handled correctly.  Back to square one.

The item can then be,  if you wish relisted and any postage loss added to the starting price.

Yes,  it's a faff and time to complete,  but no other way round this.

If an item is then returned to you in a different condition than that sent out,  you can appeal the decisoon for the refund citiing the buyer is abusing eBay's 30 day MBG policy,  to gain their refund.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Private sellers not accepting returns only applies to change of mind ones.

Sellers have to accept not as discribed cases or eBay will refund the buyer and tell them they can keep the item.

So accept the return, issue a returns label and get your item back then refund the buyer.

Hopefully you will get back the same item you sent.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

The simple solution would be just to accept returns.

Why risk having someone create damage in order to return something post free?  Because some people WILL do this.  And it is quite easy, with used items, to miss details in a description. But - in my experience people are generally quite happy to pay for return postage when returning items.

Tis yourself who is removing the right of 'Caveat Emptor',  the whole point of which is it is up to the buyer to assess the quality of the item when buying, obviously he can only do this when he receives the item. 

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

I mostly agree with you.

The item is sent back to the seller,  and a full refund to the buyer.  Seller fees are refunded. -  ALL fees including insertion fees.

Maybe ebay should finance the return, in leiu of ebay opting out of vetting new members to the platform.

The system should have been over hauled and simplified prior to the Charity Shop approach to used clothes being encourage now. If anyone thought returns was an issue now - wait and see what happens over the coming months.

Each case has its own peculiarities, and as such sellers and buyers will be seeking to contact CS - which we all know how that will go , or else over load the unpaid, over tasked Mentors , i feel there could be a lot less of you once the waves begin.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

I completely agree with you. I've just joined this forum and posted yesterday regarding an item which was returned, allegedly with numerous faults.  The fact that the buyer had blatantly lied should have been addressed, in my opinion, by ebay but that didn't happen.  It's a bit disappointing but unfortunately that's the way it is.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

" The fact that the buyer had blatantly lied should have been addressed"

Exactly how could eBay address that to decide who is not being truthful?

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

I see your point, but had ebay asked, I could have provided photos of the intact item. They did note my concerns but I heard nothing further.  I do appreciate however that it would difficult to follow up every complaint.  It's a shame because the majority of both sellers and buyers are absolutely genuine. 

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Ebay sales are open to uk distance trading laws.

The buyer can send item back if not fully happy with it in law.

Ebay just follow the law.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

You state in your post "I do not accept returns because of the ways that I list items in depth", but by doing this you could, in theory, have brought this problem upon yourself.  It may well be the case that if you had stated "Returns accepted" on the listing then the buyer may well have just contacted you to ask if he/she could return the item for a refund, in which case you could have accepted the refund, recieved the item back and relisted it for sale, and all without the aggravation that you have experienced so far.

With regards to returns all sellers have to accept returns on eBay, although they can refuse to accept change of mind returns.  Therefore, what I would advise you to do in order to minimise the risk of a recurrence of this problem, would be to revise your listings so that they all display a message stating quite clearly that you accept returns.  That way if buyers can see that you are willing to accept returns then if they want to send the item back for a refund they are more likely to contact you directly to request a refund, rather than manipulating the system by opening an eBay case against you and pretending that there was something wrong with the item so as to get eBay on their side and leave you in a position where it feels as though your hand has been forced with regards to issuing a refund.

Finally, if you have not already done so by the time you read this reply, add the buyer's User ID to your Blocked Bidders List so that he/she cannot purchase anything else from you in the future and cause you any further aggravation.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

@colinscurtains wrote:

However I have a buyer who is claiming the item is 'defective' (which is shown on the return request but which he denies in his emails) but the item is NOT defective. Just because it's not  what he was expecting he is calling me a liar! 

As mentioned; you have no choice but to send a pre-paid return label if eBay hasn't done so already. Has the buyer contradicted their reason for opening the "request" in the eBay messages they sent? I realise they've chosen "Defective or doesn't work" as the reason for requesting a return but are they stating a different reason for wanting to return the item in their messages? 

You can report the buyer when you receive the item back for misusing returns. It will probably achieve nothing in your individual case but buyers who are reported by enough sellers sometimes do end up unable to use eBay's Money Back Guarantee in the future.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent