Weird messages from buyers - malicious?

Is anyone else receiving weird, semi-coherent messages from buyers asking for refunds on items they have bought? In the last ten days or so I've had two, both from new buyers but they had good feedback so don't seem like scammers. But one message came directly by email, not through ebay messaging. Both times when I asked for further details I heard nothing back from them. It seems scammy, I'm wondering if compromised accounts are being used by scammers? Messages are below.

"Hi. How have you managed to transfer the completed transaction for the same item purchased on the 12th to Amazon? I now have 2 because of this rather dodgy process. I went to return the one you magically sent from amazon only to find out you are not a private seller but a wherehouse in China. Will you accept the return for this item on ebay?"

"Parcel was left on doorstep at wrong address. Lady at address said she took it to central Milton Keynes post office. Post office said they don't take parcels. Delivery person would not have received the six digit code. How can I receive my parcel or refund?."

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

If you have not sold the item[s] - ignore them and block them.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

"But one message came directly by email, not through ebay messaging."

If it doesn't come through ebay messaging it will be spam, trying to get you to do something that will see you lose money etc. As @plpmr says block and ignore.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

I did sell the items, but I suspect the accounts have been compromised as they had good feedback. 

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

The email message had the Evri delivery details so I suspect that is compromised. 

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

One of the mesages was right, you are not a private seller, you are a business seller trading on a private account.  EBay rules, and the law, require you to upgrade to a business account,

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

How can you tell he is a private seller? Is it because his address is not published?

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Righthand side under your user name it states whether you are a registered private or business seller.

Experience as well, someone with 90+ items listed, which are brand new, isn't someone clearing out the loft etc 😉

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent