VAT registration

I have been contacted by EBay to provide my VAT registration documents within the next 30 days or my account will be restricted

i have sold on EBay for 4 years and have always kept my sales under the VAT Threshold 

I have discussed this with my accountant who is daunting I do not need to register for

VAT

just wondering if any body else has encountered this issue and any resolutions .

thank you 

Message 1 of 30
See Most Recent
29 REPLIES 29

VAT registration

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Yes, there were lots threads started about this in April, and the topic reared its head again in July.

You may want to join in on the Business Seller board, only because it's been impossible for us to get an answer from eBay about this. It must be a programming error somewhere, but eBay Customer Services won't understand it.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/Ebay-insisting-I-register-for-VAT-even-though-...

Message 2 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

I just got the same email. 

Even beeing EU VAT registered seller from EU, now I am obligated to register for VAT also in the UK?!

While eBay is coolecting the VAT automatically for all UK orders? Why?

This is such a unplesant surprise.

Why do I need UK VAT, if eBay is already doing this for me, just why?

Bussiness sellers camuflaged as a "privat" sellers have it soooo much easier.

And in 30 days?

How am I supposed to find a way to register from EU for VAT within 30 days....

Message 3 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

@cernak.m wrote:

Even beeing EU VAT registered seller from EU, now I am obligated to register for VAT also in the UK?!

The EU's and the UK's VAT mechanisms are no longer aligned due to Brexit.

Do you list any stock that is located in the UK? If you're registered outside the UK but list stock located in the UK you do have to register for (UK) VAT.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 4 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

You need to be UK VAT registered if you are overseas and sell to the UK so that eBay can collect the **Import** VAT on sales, as they are required to do by law

Contact HMRC in the UK to become VAT registered in the UK 

Message 5 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

@myriad*seller wrote:

You need to be UK VAT registered if you are overseas and sell to the UK so that eBay can collect the **Import** VAT on sales, as they are required to do by law

I don't think that's right.  Being charged import VAT has nothing to do with an overseas seller's VAT registration status.  It's charged on all imports.

Message 6 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

@elfb9223 wrote:

I have been contacted by EBay to provide my VAT registration documents within the next 30 days or my account will be restricted

Have you ever been domiciled on the Isle of Man or been a director of a company with a correspondence address there?

Message 7 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

You only need to register for UK VAT if you are holding stock in the UK, which doesn't appear to be the case.

However, there appears to be an issue with item no. 186693134024 as that is, for some reason, listed as being located in 'Poprad, United Kingdom' so that may be the cause. 

Message 8 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

All my goods are stored in my country, Slovakia, not UK.

So far eBay was and is collecting VAT on behalf of Uk HMRC on all UK sales.

I do understand that now the EU and UK VAT schames are different, just dont understand why shoul I register for UK VAT as well if eBay is already doing it.

I am a bussines for about 2 years now, and nothing changes since then for my bussiness, so if it was not necessery then and nothing changed, why its necessery now?

I was hoping its some kind of glitch or something...

Message 9 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

Thank you.

This some kind of a glitch ahppening for few days now, where when I revise the listing for some reason I receive an error message with the loation issue, where town is correct, but country is UK.

Dont know why is this happening and was not the case before

Message 10 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

@papso22 wrote:

@myriad*seller wrote:

I don't think that's right.  Being charged import VAT has nothing to do with an overseas seller's VAT registration status.  It's charged on all imports.

It depends. If the seller and the items are located outside the UK eBay is responsible for charging and remitting VAT on orders up to £135 in value - the buyer pays on import after that value. If an overseas seller has UK stock they are obliged to register for VAT under the rules that were introduced in January 2021. The party holding the UK stock must also register with HMRC's Fulfilment House Due Diligence Scheme.

However, I'm pretty sure eBay would not allow such a seller to list anything if they thought that was the case as HMRC would be holding eBay jointly and severally liable for any VAT due on the seller's sales.

Message 11 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

@cernak.m wrote:

This some kind of a glitch ahppening for few days now, where when I revise the listing for some reason I receive an error message with the loation issue, where town is correct, but country is UK.

That will be the reason.

Message 12 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

@4_bathrooms wrote:

@cernak.m wrote:

That will be the reason.

Once again, thanks.

Any advice how to solve this with eBay, explaining the situation, that was some kind of glitch trigering this, so they can remove the "trigger"?

How was you able to find that one listing with the UK location? I would like to scen my listings in bulk for the location as well, but not sure how.

I am selling here for years and I never stored anything in the UK and I strongly feel I do not need to register for UK VAT, my trashhold is below 90000 as well, but I dont want to be banned from eBay for this...

Message 13 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

I just changed the filter for 'Item location' from default to UK.

The £90,000 threshold doesn't apply to overseas sellers. 

Message 14 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

@cernak.m wrote:

How was you able to find that one listing with the UK location? I would like to scen my listings in bulk for the location as well, but not sure how.

Filtering your listings with the "Item Location" filter set to "UK only" currently returns 0 results. I'm guessing you edited the listing that was showing as being located in the UK?

@cernak.m wrote:

I am selling here for years and I never stored anything in the UK and I strongly feel I do not need to register for UK VAT, my trashhold is below 90000 as well, but I dont want to be banned from eBay for this...

When an overseas seller holds UK stock the registration threshold is £0. You're somehow going to have to find a way to convince eBay the item that was showing as being located in the UK was due to a glitch when revising and it is actually located in Slovakia. When it comes to a VAT number trigger you might have your work cut out trying to explain to eBay's customer service reps why you don't need to register.

Message 15 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

OK, thanks for your help.

Lets see how this turns out.

Message 16 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

Hi, I faced the same problem, although I am from Ukraine and all my goods have always been located and sent from Ukraine, did you somehow manage to solve this problem? support only tells me to provide them with a letter from HMRC about tax exemption, although in fact I have very high doubts that they will provide me with such a letter because I have no connection to the UK.

Message 17 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

See my reply in the topic you opened.

It's most likely a glitch, it must be.

Now it's only important to raise awareness about it so that someone responsible will notice and fix it, removing us from the UK VAT requirement list.

Fingers crossed it will be solved, as this could mean the end of my shop. There’s no way I can afford having UK VAT responsibilities, like a UK accountant, among other things…

Message 18 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

@prisonerofstylee wrote:

Hi, I faced the same problem, although I am from Ukraine and all my goods have always been located and sent from Ukraine, did you somehow manage to solve this problem? support only tells me to provide them with a letter from HMRC about tax exemption, although in fact I have very high doubts that they will provide me with such a letter because I have no connection to the UK.

HMRC don't provide that letter to anyone, regardless of where they are located.

Message 19 of 30
See Most Recent

VAT registration

VAT exemption only applies where a business is solely selling or supplying goods or services that are specifically exempt from VAT, so doesn't apply in your case. 

Message 20 of 30
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: