Sending Large letter Items that may pierce envelope

Morning everyone,

I brought something with the intention to split it up and sell as individual items as it turned out cheaper to buy as a group however, I can now see a potential issue which could result in INR.

One of the items has like a thick dull end that’s shaped like a blade (Think dull butter knife). Now I currently only have padded C5 envelopes, is there a temporary way to send this item which won’t make the item pierce the envelope during transit.
I don’t have that many as it was a trial sample, for reasons like this.

What do you do to send sharpish items? I guess LL boxes would be the best thing if I buy more.
So, next question is, where do you get your large letter boxes?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

papso22
Experienced Mentor

I would just tape a piece of cardboard around the sharp bit. 

You need to sell these items on a business account as you bought them with the intention of selling them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

papso22
Experienced Mentor

I would just tape a piece of cardboard around the sharp bit. 

You need to sell these items on a business account as you bought them with the intention of selling them.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

@stormatic2015 wrote:

What do you do to send sharpish items?

I'd suggest first reading eBay's knives policy then Royal Mail's guidance on bladed items including whether you need to use their Tracked Age Verification service to send it (click the "Bladed items" section to expand it). 

Would you describe the item as being a knife or having a blade?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

That was my first thought, it works but don’t look professional as it gives me the cheap feel impression. Which is why I asked here, to see what others do. Also thought of a small polystyrene block on the end.

Was trying to look for something quick to do, keeping it secure/safe and possibly to have custom packaging later on and still use padded envelopes. (I believe, I might have an idea or I am most likely overthinking it.)

This is my private buyer / forum account. I have a business account for selling, fully registered etc.. etc... 

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Two ideas I would have for packaging:

• Cardboard folded and taped over the blade/end
  • LL box (often called PIP box when sold on eBay), then handle/body tied or taped down to secure in place

Given that Royal Mail recently changed their rules on bladed items and will change them again in May, and in general I believe eBay have prohibited sales of knives for a long time, I'd be checking very carefully that this is an item you can legally sell on eBay and post in the UK.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

The item is not a knife, its more like a scrapper but it curves like a knife on the end. Im only talking about less than 1cm too. It wont be classed as a knife. It can be pushed through paper/envelope but it wont go though thick cardstock  or corugated cardboard, so its not a sharp point you can stab yourself with.

I was just more worried that it would poke itself out of the top of the envelope as thats paper and then get lost somewhere in RM depot and the customer complaining of INR but I have proof of mdelivery.
The other end of the padded envelope where its sealed together, It does not go through. 

For the time being, I have added cardboard on the endand reinforced the envelope flap with extra tape until some boxes arrive.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Good Afternoon Stormy

If the size/length of your item permits then think about using a dvd case,stripped of it's gubbins. Alternatively I find old VHS tape boxes very useful for a lot of things and can be picked up for pence. Just discard the tape.

Another item I use occasionally are plastic spectacle cases. If you want cardboard boxes then just go into any large shop or supermarket and you can help yourself.

Hope that this helps.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

I get my LL boxes from Crystal Mailing.  They're sturdy and easy to assemble.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent