Sellers - Stop using 'AI' nonsense for descriptions, you are losing sales....

It might seem an easy option but I won't buy from sellers who use the lazy option for descriptions, it's sometimes completely wrong or just nonsense and does not tell me want I want to know to make a buying descision so I don't.

I want real descriptions of the item not made up ones by a machine!

I recently looked at some Lens filters and I was informed they were circular, obviously the pics weren't a clue....LOL. What I want to know is the condition of the glass, nothing else not that they are a great item to have in my kit....Yawn.

Technology is even making websites dumb.

Message 1 of 60
See Most Recent
59 REPLIES 59

I totally agree.

AI discriptions are word long but lack relevant information.

Message 2 of 60
See Most Recent

peturning
Conversationalist

Yeah. I think that AI description thing needs to go, it's encouraging a pretty bad culture of "whatever" on the site.

Message 3 of 60
See Most Recent

I also agree, I have clicked to see what it provides for some of my listings, and it is just inaccurate nonsense. Far better to provide your own description, and not risk false information.

Message 4 of 60
See Most Recent

But what about sellers who have no idea about what the products they are selling ?

Its use, its critical features and such.

Or even about the overseas sellers who have a less than solid understanding of the English language - how can you expect them to make an accurate description without  aid from ebay's tool ?

No wonder there is a note on each listing - 'Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing'.

Message 5 of 60
See Most Recent

@a45heaven wrote:

But what about sellers who have no idea about what the products they are selling ?

Its use, its critical features and such.

Or even about the overseas sellers who have a less than solid understanding of the English language - how can you expect them to make an accurate description without  aid from ebay's tool ?

No wonder there is a note on each listing - 'Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing'.

The AI description is just a flowery remix of the words in the title & Item Specifics that the seller has filled in.

So if the seller doesn't know enough about the features to fill in IS correctly and fully, AI won't know either. 

Message 6 of 60
See Most Recent

The AI description is just a flowery remix of the words in the title & Item Specifics that the seller has filled in.

Or that auto predict has added and the Seller has missed it within I. S. , as discused on these boards before.

So if the seller doesn't know enough about the features to fill in IS correctly and fully, AI won't know either. 

The blind leading the blinder - all doesnt make buying more attractive and simpler, as suggested by the OP.

Message 7 of 60
See Most Recent

I asked ChatGPT about using eBay AI 😆

Using eBay’s AI for describing items can be beneficial, especially for streamlining the listing process and enhancing the quality of your item descriptions. Here are a few advantages:

1. Efficiency: It can significantly reduce the time it takes to list an item by generating descriptive text based on the item’s details. This is particularly useful for sellers with multiple items.
2. Optimization: The AI is designed to create descriptions that are optimized for search, both within eBay and potentially in external search engines. This can help your items get more visibility.
3. Consistency: AI-generated descriptions can maintain a consistent style and quality, ensuring all your listings maintain a professional appearance.

However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:

1. Personal Touch: AI might not fully capture the unique aspects or minor details of an item that could be crucial for a sale. Personal inspection and adjustments might still be necessary.
2. Accuracy: While AI can generate descriptions based on the information provided, it’s essential to review these descriptions for accuracy. Mistakes or oversights could lead to customer dissatisfaction or returns.
3. Brand Voice: If you have a specific brand voice or style, AI-generated descriptions might need to be tweaked to align with your brand’s messaging and tone.

Overall, using eBay’s AI for describing items can be a good practice, provided you also take the time to review and adjust the descriptions as needed to ensure they accurately represent the item and fit with your selling strategy.

Message 8 of 60
See Most Recent

There appears to be rather a lot of CAN's, through the first part of your contribution, shame those are not WILL's or GUARANTEED.

It seems that there is a switch to checking  the added A.I. contributions for accuracy following the sellers selection of I.S. prior,  rather than  creating the description as performed in the past. I wonder which function improves accuracy, which is the goal here?

It appears ebay doesn't have faith in the A.I. process either 'Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing'.

Message 9 of 60
See Most Recent

Completely agree, it makes the description glib, flowery and as suggested is a re-do of the item specifics.  It is so lazy and I think ebay would do better spending their time and resources making the description (when sellers actually put a description in) more visible instead of hiding it away so that buyers can't see it unless they go on a hunt.

I spend a fair amount of time putting an accurate and detailed description to my listings and yet pretty much every item I get returned is for "does not fit" reason.  I have got way past the stage of wanting to shout - "the measurements are there if you checked them", so now just refund.

The description is often not looked at so what difference does an AI description make.  🤔

Message 10 of 60
See Most Recent

As soon as I see that a description has obviously been created using AI, I stop reading, and close that tab.

In many cases, the errors are so obvious that the reader picks them up, but how many sneak past without buyers (who will tend to know less about the item than sellers) noticing?

I realise I may miss out on some bargains, and that the MBG still applies, but I really don't want to gamble, and I don't want the hassle of returning the item.

Message 11 of 60
See Most Recent

Totally agree -

havent i seen posts around about making an ability to block or filter out specific Sellers, so buyers arent wasting their time?

Message 12 of 60
See Most Recent

Yes i agree to and what's annoying me is sellers that use the AI description and then dont bother to add the product sizes to that. I am steering clear of AI listings there is no detail in them.

Message 13 of 60
See Most Recent

Well I like it 

“What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.”
Message 14 of 60
See Most Recent

I use it. You just need to tweak what it says to suit you or your description which I do.

Message 15 of 60
See Most Recent

Block me then I use it in some of my listings. Strangely enough on the listings that it's on I've sold more than the original description I had 

Message 16 of 60
See Most Recent

There is in mine but I tweak it. Don't bother tapping on my id store is closed for the next few weeks. And no I'm not on holiday.

Message 17 of 60
See Most Recent

well maybe they should find out what they are selling before selling then!  How do they know it works or is as it should be if they have no knowledge of it.  Or even just put in the description that they do not know, better than some made up junk from AI.

Message 18 of 60
See Most Recent

I don't use it, it's really not applicable or desirable in it's description of collectibles. Creates statements that aren't applicable or more importantly true. 
However in some form or another it's here to stay. 

Message 19 of 60
See Most Recent

We turn off from AI used descriptions to be honest, when looking to buy, you have to be wary in using it as some users are lazy and it leaves them very open to INAD's. However it also I think does have a benefit in that if you can pick certain words/phrases, these are obviously the algorithms that ebay use to enhance you item on the search engines and google.

So there is I think a place for it, I think, but with extreme caution.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 20 of 60
See Most Recent