Royal Mail price increases April 2024

Our prices (valid from 2 April 2024) (royalmail.com)

This is NOT for online prices.

Just in case anyone's not seen it. 

Message 1 of 26
See Most Recent
25 REPLIES 25

These are the new online prices:

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2024-03/online-price-guide-april-2024-v1-ta.pdf

The drop in price on the 250g large letter is something at least. I think it will be a 40p reduction from the current price. 

Message 2 of 26
See Most Recent

And LL  500g is also down 20p.

Message 3 of 26
See Most Recent

UK Signed For services (letters and parcels) compensation is reduced from £50 to £20.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 26
See Most Recent

@jckl1957 wrote:

UK Signed For services (letters and parcels) compensation is reduced from £50 to £20.

Interesting, so I think that means if you're buying postage through the Post Office you would have to use Special Delivery if you wanted insurance over £20?

I'll have a more detailed look later, but did anyone notice any changes for international postage?

Message 5 of 26
See Most Recent

Wow!

Cost of special delivery prior 1pm for £2,500 (100 gram) cover increasing from £10.35 to £17.95.....

I will have to look for alternates for sending high value items.

Message 6 of 26
See Most Recent

It looks as if the P.O. will be offering Tracked 24 and 48 - competitive prices and insurance up to £150.

It may be that they are looking to phase out signed for - especially if you can buy better alternatives at the Post Office counter.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Message 7 of 26
See Most Recent

Yes I noticed that.

Thats good 24 hour and 48 hour van now be bought in PO.

Seems insurance costs have gone up ...check out the increases for insuring items over £1,000 via Special Delivery. Over 70% increase unless I'm missing something.

Message 8 of 26
See Most Recent

I probably only use SD once a year - that is a big jump though!

Message 9 of 26
See Most Recent

@jckl1957 wrote:

It looks as if the P.O. will be offering Tracked 24 and 48 - competitive prices and insurance up to £150.

It may be that they are looking to phase out signed for - especially if you can buy better alternatives at the Post Office counter.

That would be good news, I prefer to support the Post Office, but recently for anything £75 to £200 I've felt like it's made sense to buy tracked direct from Royal Mail, has seemed a bit odd for a while that Post Office could accept the tracked parcels but not buy the postage.  I had a look  but couldn't find an updated Post Office price list, have you seen one?

Message 10 of 26
See Most Recent

There is a link in the first post.

Message 11 of 26
See Most Recent

@jckl1957 wrote:

There is a link in the first post.

Apologies, I misunderstood, I'm with you now, the link in the first post is the retail price, ie what you pay in the Post Office. And I can see that Tracked 24 / 48 was not in the previous version (https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2023-11/our-prices-october-2023--v2.pdf).

So it makes sense that the Post Office would offer it, but have you seen any official announcement that that's definitely the case or when they'll start?

Message 12 of 26
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

There doesn't seem to be an official announcement but from the prices versus online prices, Tracked is coming to post offices. Presumably from April. That's good news in terms of at the counter customers having access to a better service than Signed For / cheaper service that Special Delivery when SD not required.

One thing I haven't understood is that the online discount for Tracked parcels is 50p or 60p at Small, and £1.20 at Medium, but the footnote says "Valid prices when using Click & Drop Parcel Collect/Parcel Box/Post Box, otherwise full postage price will apply (20p additional charge)." I first thought that meant the previous 16p charge to drop off a Tracked parcel at PO was now 20p, but what I actually think it means is that if you buy a Tracked label online for Medium for postbox drop-off, then take to PO, they will charge you the £1.20 difference and the 20p i.e. £1.40 extra. Hopefully that will be made very clear when buying labels e.g. on eBay site, as that could otherwise cause some confusion.

It's the end for Signed For. The Tracked services at retail prices are all cheaper than equivalent Signed For. I'm assuming they're going to keep it for a transition period of a year or two then it will be gone.

Message 13 of 26
See Most Recent

Signed For has always confused Post Office customers who come in with their parcel and ask for a tracked service when they mean Signed For - which is not a tracked service.

If the Post Office can offer tracked 24 and 48 from April, it will mean counter staff  won't have to explain the difference between Signed For and Tracked (which in a Post Office has always only meant Next Day Special Delivery) a hundred times a day.

Message 14 of 26
See Most Recent

First of all The Post Office and Royal Mail are two separate Companies. Royal Mail are putting up their prices not the Post Office. Royal Mail is a shareholder owned company and The Post Office is owned by the Government.

However, from April £1.35 for a First Class Stamp. I charge my UK buyers £1.50 postage (combined) but eBay take 10.8% commission off this + VAT  (19p) and a hardbacked envelope costs me 8p (I buy them  in bulk) £1.35 + 27p = £1.62. If I put my postage costs up it will put off buyers (they Like post free).

If a put my starting price up that will put buyers off and increase my eBay fees. It is a no win for sellers.

Anyway, who gets a First Class Service from Royal Mail? Put a first class stamp on an envelope and you will be lucky if it gets there 3 days later.

End of moan!

Message 15 of 26
See Most Recent

Odd those prices coming down. I do often send out 2nd Large letter (250g) which will drop to £2.10 which is the same prices as 1st Larger Letter 100g.

I am guessing I could just use a 1st Large stamp which has value of £2.10 but will go out 2nd class.

Could confuse customer though seeing this?

Message 16 of 26
See Most Recent

2nd class 20p only. & 1st is up by 20p. A very complex list of mostly increases & the odd small reduction.

Message 17 of 26
See Most Recent

Comparing the new with old, one change that could easily catch people out is the reduction in compensation from £50 to £20 on the signed for service as well as a 40p increase for the small parcels up to 2kg. The new tracked service at £3.89 seems to be the best bet with £150 cover Hopefully the PO staff will be able to guide us through, there are  some confusing changes this time.

Message 18 of 26
See Most Recent

irt303
Conversationalist

I have a load of 1st Class & 1st Class Large stamps, which I use towards the total postage cost at the Post Office counter.

Does anyone know whether I'll be able to do that for 24/48 Hour Tracked (when the PO start offering the service from 2nd April)?

Message 19 of 26
See Most Recent

no..stamps dont go into system

Message 20 of 26
See Most Recent