Return due to change of mind

We had a buyer who want to return an item due to change of mind.  We are a business seller and therefore accepted the return case automatically.

Buyer then closed the case and I heard nothing for a few days so I assume he changed mind again.

After 2 days he send a message saying he closed the return as the return label provided by eBay didn't cover the full value of the item (£500+). He still wanted to return the item.

I believe we are still required under the distant selling regulation to accept the return even though the eBay return case is closed. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So I told the buyer to return insured in a courier he choose and we can still refund when item is received. 

Buyer has been quiet again for a few days now.

My questions is when would the 14 day return period end and what can we do if we don't received it back within 14 days? Do we have to refund anyway even if we received it back later than that?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

It's 14 days from delivery to return it. 

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

I thought it's within 14 days of receiving their goods that they want to cancel. They have another 14 days to return the goods once they’ve told you.

What if it returned back to me after 14 days?

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

@cambridgecomputerserviceltd wrote:

I believe we are still required under the distant selling regulation to accept the return even though the eBay return case is closed. (correct me if I'm wrong)

You are correct; the buyer isn't even obliged to use eBay's return process. They have informed you they wish to cancel so they now need to send the item back to you.

@cambridgecomputerserviceltd wrote:

My questions is when would the 14 day return period end and what can we do if we don't received it back within 14 days? Do we have to refund anyway even if we received it back later than that?

The buyer has 14 (calendar) days to hand over the goods to a carrier or to return them to you in person from when they notified you. So, they should provide you with the carrier's tracking number within 14 days; they're not obliged to actually ensure the goods are delivered back to you within 14 days. You are only obliged to refund once you have received the goods back. I'm pretty sure a buyer can only open a remorse return request once via eBay so provided you receive the goods back you will have to refund by selecting the "Refund buyer" option in the sales record.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Buyer has notified you of desire to return item in time. Legislation is another 14 days to get return in progress. Actual delivery of return can take longer.

I think the buyer has raised a fair point that eBay's default return labels are Tracked 48 (£150 cover) for small items. Which doesn't fully insure higher value items (or specific items not isured by Tracked such as jewellery), so they were sensible to not want to use it.

Realistically, if buyer actually takes a bit longer e.g. 3 or 4 weeks you are still going to have to refund. Because if they appeal to eBay and have tracking to show item has been returned then eBay will just pull the funds from you. Or, if they submit a payment dispute to their bank and can prove item has been returned, their bank will pull funds from eBay, who will pull from you. Better that the return is in your control - you see goods before issuing refund - than the refund is forced on you.

Given a buyer can likely always win a payment dispute raised within 6 months of purchase, I would effectively say the return remains open for 6 months.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

As the return case was closed, what can eBay force through? Zilch unless another return request is opened for a different reason (such as INAD, making you pay for the label). I'm not even sure it's possible. 

It's now an 'off the record' return but I'd still treat it as if the return was open. So they had up to 14 days to open the return request (voice that they wanted to return it). If the case were still open, eBay gives the buyer something like 4 weeks (someone else might be able to confirm as I've forgotten bow long they give) for the item tracking to show as posted before the return is auto closed. Give them that same time, mention it to them perhaps and if nothing is sent back by then, you can assume they don't want to return it anymore. 

We've got a bit of a tricky one like this at the moment. Well, someone sent a message back in January saying they wanted to return an item as it didn't fit. I told them that's fine and to open a return request. Nothing was opened and time passed so I gathered they had found use for it or sold it to someone else. 

Yesterday they got in touch saying they forgot to open a request and so crested the request. As it's outside the 14 day return window, it's purely a request I can accept or decline. Tricky as they've now had that item for 2 months and although it would be wise to accept it, I'm concerned that with them having it that long it might be in a not so good way when it arrives back and be a write off. Mulling it over. 

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent