Removal of item in selling list.

Today I received a message saying that a selection of vintage grooming items that is was selling including a few Gillette razors, some shaving brushes, small mirror, couple of brushes and some other related grooming items had been removed because it violated there knife policy. Just to add there was no blades of any type included in this listing. I contacted them asking how I violated the knife policy and that I had sold many razors over the years so what was the problem. As was then told be the advisor that I can only sell razor to international buyers and you can no longer sell them in the UK or Ireland. I did mention that they were allowing 120,000+ sellers to sell the same items but they said they can't reinstate the item. Not sure if anyone has had the same problems but still not sure if it's a knife thing or just a UK thing, confused. 🤪

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

sabe5994
Conversationalist

It's against their restricted items policy. Here's the list...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/knives-policy?id=5047

^ Also a link to the Government's website in there to see the legalities in the UK.

Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Nothing in my listing is on the restricted list. 

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

It could just be that they've picked up a word in your titles and an algorithm has decided it doesn't like it. 

Change the listing title and make sure it doesn't have details that could link to any prohibited item. If eBay insists that the item is prohibited you'll have to ask them to be more specific or get them to admit their mistake.

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

The advisor said they would get back to me and an expert will tell me if it was a specific word that has had it taken down but I was a bit thrown when they said you can no longer sell shaving items to UK or Ireland buyers. Thank you for the response, will wait and see what happens.

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

Ah, good. At least they are looking into it for you. 

Good luck! 🙂

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

I am having the same problem. Tried re listing with different wording but again removed overnight. If you manage to find out the word that is triggering it I would be interested to know 

cheers

Mike

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

It could be a flag that comes up on Brand names associated with any prohibited items, but I see you now have a Gillette grooming kit as an active listing. I've seen people bypass this restriction with things like Stanley knives, they'll call them Stanley sheets or other similar things. 

Also anything that may be considered medical or healthcare can often get a bit of hassle; but there is a big grey area there.

Avoid obvious things like razor, blade, shaving, and brand names could also be iffy. 

If it is unfairly restricted then I'd give CS a call in the morning and let them see the detail and that there is no restricted item in that listing.

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

Hi Mike, sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you but I have been in contact with ebay 4 times now and had no help in getting the issue solved. I did post another message recently saying that on the 4th time I had contacted them they said if you appeal is not upheld to relist the items they don't get in touch with you, which sounds ridiculous because you will not find out what the problem is. I have just had 2 other Gillette razors removed last night, contacted them to appeal today and the guy I spoke to said he would call me back on Thurs or Fri to tell me what has happened with the appeal. I am very confused and but hope they do get back in touch. I will let you know if I get a reason for removal, cheers Raymond.

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

the easy way would be to change the wording to get around the algos 

or use sell simlar on another listing with different wording pref a private seller and or auction listing and change it accordingly

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

At last a call back, my items were removed in error so I can now relist them, unfortunately still no information on what flagged them up but hopefully this time it will be OK. Funnily enough the first items I had removed and commented on in the first message I have now sold on eBay.

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

At the risk of being very cynical, it could be a rival seller reporting your items to get them removed.  Unfortunately this does happen with some seller.  Good luck

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

But Many sellers are still selling the shaving razor

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

How could they sell If there are restrictions to sell, can anyone elaborate?

Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

@beauty-tools wrote:

How could they sell If there are restrictions to sell, can anyone elaborate?

Because they haven't been spotted and reported.

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

But why Ebay has given Us the Category of Men's Razor , this is so confusing.

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

I believe it's specifically Gillette that are covered by a VERO policy, so that brand is restricted due to being faked so often.  Other safety razors are allowed.

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Can you tell me about VERO policy?

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

There is a link to Vero policies at the bottom of all eBay pages.

This link helps explain further too.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing-and-marketing/verified-rights-owner-program.html

@beauty-tools 

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

beautytools_0-1706597012251.png

as ebay is providing us to a list of the types of razors, and sharing razors usually comes in cutthroat and straight razor

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent