Private seller

Hi this is my first post. 

So I'm selling a few items I no longer need mainly tools as auctions but now my bidders are saying there going to be charged 20 vat is this normal because I live in the UK so do my bidders . I've read a few posts saying there's a glitch but is this still happening or is it right. Because if  its true then my buyers want to cancel the bids. 

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Private seller

See :- https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false...

From your van ad "your bidding to buy and can arrange a viewing before bidding so your 100% sure thanks"

Viewing before bidding is no longer allowed.If you try and exchange contact details you will probably be blocked as Ebay see it as an attempt to do an off Ebay deal ,i.e. fee avoidance.

Both potential buyer and seller can get into trouble if caught.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

Oh I didn't know your not allowed to let the buyer see a vehicle before buying I thought it was standard practice. What now? 

And is this so called glitch back then earliest post I can see is from 2023 November I think. 

I've already told a bidder if the 20% is on the final payment bit I would cancel transaction so this glitch is putting buyers off. 

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

The is a recurring glitch with UK - UK sales showing up with 20% VAT.  If it is actually going to be charged then it would be because the buyers are based overseas - click on their ID & then 'about'. This will tell you where they are registered. If UK then it's probably OK.

The best way to sell vehicles these days on ebay is through Classified Ads.  You can exchange details & allow prospective buyers to view & negotiate price. It stops the tyre kickers & non payers from ruining your sale as the listing can stay active until money has actually exchanged hands.

Worth thinking about for any furture sales:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/selling-classified-ads?id=4167&st=3&pos=1&... 

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

Thanks for replying zoom. I didn't know this wish I had. 

Yeah had a look and there uk same as me. One more question what happens if the things I'm selling sell for more than the 3300 will my stuff get removed I'm new to all this 

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

TBH I can't really answer that with any certainty. 

Why do you think they would remove your listings?

Ebay do tend to put holds on the funds of new sellers or sellers that are returning to selling after a break.

Vehicles are not covered by the Money Back guarantee on Ebay.

It's been years since I sold a car on here, but the last time I did I asked for cash. 

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

Because it says I can earn that amount but don't know what will happen if I sell over that amount 

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

Yes and I've asked for one but they won't do it so what would happen if I went over it. 

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

If your sales exceed your monthly limit next months limit is reduced by the oversell.

eg your limit is £500 but your sales are £600 following months limit is reduced to £400 unless you can get an increase.

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

Is it 45 for final fee for cars.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

1% for final fee with a minimum of £25 and maximum of £45

@kaysoprano 

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Private seller

Thank you I thought it was like other stuff and started panicking thinking ebay was getting a massive cut thanks again 

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent