Private sale - buying requested to return an item with "Don't like it" reason, should I accept?

Hi,

I sold a "New with tags" watch last week. I am a private seller, from time to time I sell a watch on eBay, as I have got a large collection and if I receive something I don't like, I sell it. It was a cheap stuff for £89, no returns option.

Now the buyer wants to return the item, at least he is honest when he opened the case with "Don’t like it" reason and "Hi unfortunately I don’t like the dial colouring apart from that the strap and watch is pretty good Sorry for having to return." - description.

The item description was crystal clear with few high quality photos. I am a bit worried that all tags are going to be removed, so I won't be able to sell it as new with tags.

What is going to happen if I refuse something like that? Will I get a negative comment? Will I get the commision back?

Regards
Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Private sale - buying requested to return an item with "Don't like it" reason, should I accept?

Tell them to open a return request for "change of mind" then you can refuse it but they may just open a fake Item not as described case to force you to refund

They could however, make up any reason to return it eg not as described, and you will have to pay for the return postage AND refund in full inc P&P if they really want to force you to accept a return

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

You might also find that it is trading standards making a test purchase as you sell a lot of Brand New watches for a private seller and they might think you bought the watches to sell, therefore are legally a business seller using a private account to try to evade consumer rights legislation including the right to return

I notice you sold three identical watches...why buy three identical watches you "don't like"?

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Nothing is going to happen, just refuse the return, as it's not your policy to accept the return. The case will be closed.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

The buyer may just open a not as described case to force the seller to refund if they refuse the return, and the seller cannot refuse to accept the return if this happens.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

You are free to just ignore or say no the return, but then it opens you up to them just breaking the watch and opening a INAD or items is defective which you then are basically forced to accept and pay for the return, you may then get a watch back thats perfectly fine but they may also damage the watch and even though you know you sent it out fine you are forced to refund and then *try* to get the funds back from eBay (good luck). Its better to just accept the return, even better if you are going to sell any in future to just accept returns as it only takes 1 person to damage it and you are out of pocket for £100.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

The only reason there are 3 identical watches I sold is because when I buy the one I want, I sometimes get a better discount when I add a second one of a low value. Hence these 3, as these 3 were giving me the best code / discount I could use on the one I wanted. I have got over 50 watches (I am crazy, I know). But still, I barely sold few over the last few months, so why would I be treated like a seller?

To be honest I am leaning towards  accepting the return, because the guy was honest and just wrote honestly the reason, not playing any "Damaged item" games. I respect something like that even when I said clearly in my offer that returns are not accepted. 

BTW. Will I get the fees back if I accept the return?

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

As long as you deal with the case within 3 days and your buyer doresn't escalate it for ebay to step in you will get your fees back less 30p admin fee.

******************************************************************************************