NON paying bidders

The feedback system is no longer fit for purpose, Ebay may as well scrap it. Cannot leave negative feedback for poor buyers, what is the point. I would not sell to any repeat offenders if I knew who they were. 

As usual ebay looks after buyers, but sellers are the lowest of the low ! 

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

NON paying bidders

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

one does not need to know who the non-payers are if sellers adjust their setting to automatically block buyers with more than one unpaid strike in a year.

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

@plpmr wrote:

one does not need to know who the non-payers are if sellers adjust their setting to automatically block buyers with more than one unpaid strike in a year.

Don't you mean 2 unpaid strikes.

I wish it was only one.

Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

Bidders are allowed 4 complete days to make payment before you can recover your selling fees by opening Unpaid case/s for a Non payment defect on their account/s ... You can then relist and neither party can leave damaging Feedback ... any FB left can be removed on request >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137

Block them from returning here > https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/BuyerBlock?

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

MORE than one.

I presume that means at least two.

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

You want non-paying bidders. Ideally you want paying bidders who actually want the item, but what you really don't want is someone who pays, you send the item out and then they regret it and you get lumbered with paying for their return. 

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

@fargvs wrote:

Bidders are allowed 4 complete days to make payment before you can recover your selling fees by opening Unpaid case/s for a Non payment defect on their account/s ... You can then relist and neither party can leave damaging Feedback ... any FB left can be removed on request >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137

Block them from returning here > https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/BuyerBlock?

You no longer have to open a case for non payers. You simply cancel the sale after four days citing non payment. They get a non payment strike.

Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

Bidders are allowed 4 complete days to make payment before you can recover your selling fees

Fees are taken from the incoming funds paid by the buyer  - if they have not paid , then no fees can be take.

Can you please show me exactly where to look to see a  location where this  return of funds happens? i asked before, but didnt get an answer.

I would / have never relisted an item which doesn't get taken - there are other platforms which dont have the problems ebay have, and as such a much safer location.

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

@a45heaven wrote:

Bidders are allowed 4 complete days to make payment before you can recover your selling fees

Fees are taken from the incoming funds paid by the buyer  - if they have not paid , then no fees can be take.

Can you please show me exactly where to look to see a  location where this  return of funds happens? i asked before, but didnt get an answer.

I would / have never relisted an item which doesn't get taken - there are other platforms which dont have the problems ebay have, and as such a much safer location.

I think, I stress think, the situation is that you owe fees the moment an item is sold. If the buyer pays through Ebay then the fees are taken from the incoming funds. But if you are not paid you do still owe the fees (unless you cancel citing non payment); Ebay will assume you have been paid, cash perhaps, and will take their fees by some other method. From your bank account probably.

So, fees are not refunded when you cancel a sale citing non payment. They are cancelled.

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

Many thanks for responding.

I can see your argument, but have never seen proof of it - ie when a buyer has NOT paid and i have NOT cancelled, then , which is what i asked a Mentor,  where i would see exactly the fees ebay reap from my none sale.

I know ebay make each transaction as complex as possible, so its more difficult  to assess fees on a particular sale, but i have never seen the detailed fees extracted for a none paying sale.

If my memory serves me right, another Mentor did interject with an extract from ebay stating fees are taken from a buyers payment.

Both arguments have there merits, but im still awaiting the from the adage point 'seeing is believing'. 

Thanks again. 

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

Reworded for clarity ...

Bidders are allowed 4 complete days to make payment before you can act to recover your selling fees by cancelling the transaction as Unpaid.

'' Fees are taken from the incoming funds paid by the buyer  - if they have not paid , then no fees can be take.''

???

No  ... Paid or Unpaid;  eBay FVF selling fees are debited to Sellers account immediately an item is showing as sold using the Payment method/Banking details given when setting up Managed Payments ... any additional listing fees will already have been charged.

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

sorry - the link you sent makes no mention of FVF fees being taken - in case im having word blindness please highlight the sentence.

I sold items yesterday, the only items with  FVF are the ones which have been paid for. EXACTLY where do you see these fees being credited, so i can confirm your words.

Yes i can see insertion fees taken when the item went live, oddly i can not see these refunded when i have a none payer, as a none payer is a member of ebay, who should take responsibility for.

Thanks

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

You don't pay fees until you have a sale.  If you cancel because the buyer hasn't paid, no fees have been charged.

Check your payments for confirmation.  You won't see feed from a non sale, except listing fees, which are never refunded.

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

@a45heaven wrote:

Many thanks for responding.

I can see your argument, but have never seen proof of it - ie when a buyer has NOT paid and i have NOT cancelled, then , which is what i asked a Mentor,  where i would see exactly the fees ebay reap from my none sale.

Dunno, but the situation under discussion is effectively the same as when an item is sold for collection and the buyer pays cash. Ebay will want their fees and will collect them; those fees must appear somewhere.

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

Many thanks for that - that was as i've  experienced and would expect - any comments from @fargvs  or other Mentor please ?

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

Dunno, but the situation under discussion is effectively the same as when an item is sold for collection and the buyer pays cash. Ebay will want their fees and will collect them; those fees must appear somewhere.

Id imagine when 'collection' is selected it triggers a separate process - i dont know what the ramifications are for that on a regular  mailed sale.

But it would seem logical to have fees actioned against incoming fees when the occur. 

Maybe ebay are thinking of starting to take fees earlier down the process now?

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

@a45heaven 

As always some of the wording by ebay is a bit err 'grey' and not in places cleverly worded. My take is,

If a buyer fails to pay, and the order is cancelled after 4 days, then no fees are paid - eg no Fvf or 30p as effectively no transaction has taken place. (eg no payment received) The wording in the link that @fargvs shows is one of ebays not so cleverly worded ones. As it states towards the top it makes mention of reminding buyers to pay. Everytime you send a payment request that 4 day cycle resets itself, so if you sent that say 5 times in a calendar month you may be in a position where you couldn't cancel an order for 20+ days!

The other side of this, and I write this on the presumption someone is a business seller, there are then insertion fees which are deducted/paid at time of listing an item. On the basis a private seller pays no listing fees then this doesn't come in to play for them, but in the fees credits section your listing fees can be also reimbursed, but there are a few caveats shall we say! These are shown below from the fee Credits policy.

Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 08.23.12.png

Now when this is refunded I don't know whether its an end of month thing or at the time of listing. I never use the ebay tool, and always opt for the sell similar, to give the item a new number etc. So obviously I will pay the additional fee depending on length of auction time or if I have no more credits for the month etc.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

I don't think so.  An order is not a sale, until it is paid for, including paid for in cash.

Ive checked one of our accounts, all items paid for are showing in 'payments' with full breakdown of fees paid.  The unpaid items are not showing in payments at all.

Lots of reasons, for instance I might sent an invoice for a number of items and combine shipping, which changes the final value, and therefore the final value fee amount.

A cash on collection item is only  and paid for and therefore a sale when it is collected, the code given to the buyer by eBay and passed to the seller generates the fees.  The exception, of course, is a classified item, in which case there are no fees whether paid online, directly by card or by cash, the listing fee having been charged at the time of listing.

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

NON paying bidders

Sanity !!!!!!

i bet you don't work for ebay 😉

Ive checked one of our accounts, all items paid for are showing in 'payments' with full breakdown of fees paid.  The unpaid items are not showing in payments at all.

That's just what id expected, before i was quoted the opposite on this thread and earlier ones.

Its a shame there's not a concise Fees only section.

Id forgot about changes to invoices - Postage discounts, combination orders, a discount offered in lieu of a quality issue ( resolved thru discussions with buyer) etc etc - in these cases ebay would not know what fee to charge, unless they just went for the largest and hope it is not noticed.

Many thanks for your breath of fresh air.

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent