Messages from Buyers re item cash on collection

Hello there.

I have quite a large and heavy item for sale on ebay listed cash on collection.

I am getting various emails from potential buyers:

One asking if they can pay for an UPS driver to collect from me.

Another asking if I can meet them in a car park to hand over item and that they cannot withdraw large amounts of cash but could pay immediately by PayPal. 

Does any of this sound dodgy? 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

That's a lovely amp, I can see why you're getting lots of enquiries.

However you list this, you should be aware that only cash on collection can't be reversed, all other payment methods can be.

For example, we had a question yesterday from somebody who had sold a sofa bed, the buyers paid via eBay and came and collected, they examined it and were happy with it so took it away, 300 miles away apparently. They then opened an eBay not as described claim, leaving the seller with the job now of arranging and paying for the return of their sofa bed. Even it were cost effective for the seller to pay for and arrange this there's no guarantee that the sofa will be undamaged. 

So, if the buyer collects, gets it home and then drops it when unloading, smashing the internal parts, they can still get a refund via eBay unless they paid in cash. 

Just worth considering. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Personally , I would stick to having it collected from home and definitely after purchase to have cash on collection.

If your buyer sends  their own courier,  they forfeit any claim ater for item not as described. 

I would decline the offer of meeting in a car park,  bringing this heavy item too. Whilst it is the buyer's perogative to pay by PayPal,  cash is always the best option.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Thank you.

I'd prefer just cash on collection and get stressed when I get all these emails offering to do this, that and the other! They may well be genuine but I'm not an experienced seller and could easily be caught out via a scam. Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Good Morning Boots

Stick to your guns. If a potential buyer wants the item badly enough then they will have to make an effort and pick it up from your home.   

You could underscore this part of the sale by reiterating in capitals (within the sale particulars)  THIS ITEM IS COLLECTION ONLY.   Just keep the sale simple and don't do or agree to anything that you are not comfortable with.

Tressygirl has also given you excellent advice,as always.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Thank you so much.

I'm going to relist item and offer postage via ebay and probably do an auction style instead of Buy It Now to stop all of the weird and wonderful questions!

You are all so kind I'm very grateful for your advice.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Good Morning (again) Boots

If your item is as desirable as seems to be the case then you could rid yourself of all of this aggravation and worry by taking it to a reputable Auction House in your area and let them sell it for you.  You would pay more in fees but the upside is that you would sleep stress free at night.  

Good luck.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Again even though you are reducing your ' audience' with a collection item,  this is a lovely, expensive and I would imagine having delicate parts,  so a postage cost would not only be costly, buyers hate expensive postage costs,  but you would need to package it very,  very carefully, but of course your choice here.

If you list it in auction format the golden rule here is to start the auction for the lowest amount you are happy to receive,  it cannot sell for less, and if you only receive one bid,  which often happens, you will have received the price you wanted, and you would need to sell for the bid price achieved.

You can add a Buy it Now price but that will disappear when the first bid is placed , and the sale runs on in auction style only.

@boots6363 

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

That's a lovely amp, I can see why you're getting lots of enquiries.

However you list this, you should be aware that only cash on collection can't be reversed, all other payment methods can be.

For example, we had a question yesterday from somebody who had sold a sofa bed, the buyers paid via eBay and came and collected, they examined it and were happy with it so took it away, 300 miles away apparently. They then opened an eBay not as described claim, leaving the seller with the job now of arranging and paying for the return of their sofa bed. Even it were cost effective for the seller to pay for and arrange this there's no guarantee that the sofa will be undamaged. 

So, if the buyer collects, gets it home and then drops it when unloading, smashing the internal parts, they can still get a refund via eBay unless they paid in cash. 

Just worth considering. 

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

@dancewithadingo wrote:

Good Morning Boots

Stick to your guns. If a potential buyer wants the item badly enough then they will have to make an effort and pick it up from your home.   

You could underscore this part of the sale by reiterating in capitals (within the sale particulars)  THIS ITEM IS COLLECTION ONLY.   Just keep the sale simple and don't do or agree to anything that you are not comfortable with.

Tressygirl has also given you excellent advice,as always.

Good luck.

I think I would put:

THIS ITEM IS FOR COLLECTION BY THE BUYER IN PERSON ONLY - NO COURIERS

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

I'd also add an extra line to the description as well and make sure it stands out clearly. 

Something like "Cash on collection please, this will give you the opportunity to examine the amp and make sure you're happy with it before paying”

@boots6363Take a look at this question somebody has just asked:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Payment-dispute-appeal/m-p/7548599#M182897

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

That's really interesting and helpful thank you for that information. Something to consider.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Consider listing as Buyer Collection only >>

For larger items requiring collection, setting Cash payment on listing 'No postage: Local collection only' for personal Inspection/Collection is allowed using these links, so No 14 days or more Payment holds or risk of later disputes ... buyers will see 'Contact seller to arrange payment and collection' ... QR code is not essential on buyer collection ...  just return to the sold item and mark as paid and despatched in dropdown menu on right hand side ... see >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-collection?id=4181>

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup?id...

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent