Have 80% off sellers fees been discontinued?

I have not had any discounts on sellers fees since February, yet friends and family are still receiving them. Is anyone having the same experience?

Message 1 of 64
See Most Recent
63 REPLIES 63

Yes, many private sellers are experiencing the same issue, whilst other seem to still be receiving the offers.

Go through the eBay selling board, there are plenty of posts about sllers no longer getting to 70% or 80% off FVF Offers.

Why this is? eBay seem to be spieling a load of theoretical rubbish as to why some sellers are receiving the offer whilst others are not. It's all to do with good account standing, selling standards etc, etc. You will be told what you want to hear not actual facts, if you contact eBay.

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 2 of 64
See Most Recent

Re: Who is NO LONGER receiving invites for 80% off... - Page 2 - UK eBay Community

Have a read. You may need a cuppa or something stronger before you settle down.

Message 3 of 64
See Most Recent

Ahh been archived. Seems like any and all posts that go into the problem get archived, what is eBay trying to hide? 🤔

Message 4 of 64
See Most Recent

I too haven't had any seller discount offers I simply won't sell till I get an offer fees are far too expensive seems to me there are a lot less private sellers seems these people are going to

the free sites  rip off Britain alive and kicking 

Message 5 of 64
See Most Recent

I've just spoken with one of their agents, she said that eBay used to offer the 80% discount over weekends at regular intervals but now they've moved away from that model and will only be sending discount offers randomly as they are targeting specific selling groups in specific areas and offering more discounts to new customers or sellers that haven't sold for a while rather than existing ones who sell more often. Very disappointing I must say, I'll be going back to Facebook and using PayPal which is 2.9% fee + 30p so not too high. She said that my account would be offered promotions in the future but the system determines when and what with no human input so it'll be totally random from now on. No reward for loyalty it seems!

Message 6 of 64
See Most Recent

Ebay have tried this before. I just ended my items on my seller account when the promo period ended and waited a week and I received a promo offer.  The lost sales are painful, but it seems to be the only way Ebay learn. I will not use ebay without a promotion because the fees are too high.

Message 7 of 64
See Most Recent

I have got used to receiving the 80% off, offers, every two weeks for years now. I have five accounts and with a few temporary exceptions, all five got these offers every other Friday. None received last Friday, as expected and none today either, very disappointing. My way around this, when stuff needs relisiting or when the existing 80% off listings end will be very simple; just add 10% to the prices and let the market decide if it wants to pay the increased fees.    

Message 8 of 64
See Most Recent

Seems to have not been continued, the last I got it was the weekend on 16th/17th December. A bit gutted as it was every 2 weeks. As others have mentioned, the fees are VERY high now and I hardly listed outside of it. Had these promos since 2021.

I tried via another link and got ! Unfortunately, you can no longer sign up for this promotional offer because it has expired.

I only realised how high the fees were when I listed an item for £1 plus 75p royal mail postage cost. After fees I would have end up with something stupid like 3 pence! So all items then got changed to £1.50 or £2 minimum

Message 9 of 64
See Most Recent

Relisting with 10% added on is an option. 

Ebay will be measuring the success of this change to non regular FVF promos from regular to random.

- If their metric is total listings and everyone does this, then total listings will not decrease and so they will think it a success and are less likely to offer promos in the future.
-If their metric is a drop in revenue, then the fewer items you sell, but at higher fees to ebay, may actually mean they make more. I think this is why they are doing it. But you will sell less so make less.

Either way I will be de-listing items so Ebay see a drop in both metrics which hopefully will encourage them to start offering FVF promos again. If after a month or so none have been forthcoming I will either relist with 10% added to price, or use other channels more.

Message 10 of 64
See Most Recent

I am totally disgusted with eBay....they are more concerned with business sellers and not interested in the private sellers.  I agree with all the other messages concerning the 80% ( although I was only getting 70%) I certainly will not list with eBay unless there is some discount...eBay fees are to high.

I think they may have shot themselves in the foot as sellers will find other outlets.

Message 11 of 64
See Most Recent

Not sure, I was an individual seller and was pushed on to being a business seller due to the amount I sold which I hated. I then never got any promo offers and so started a new account, got them for a couple months then didn't get them anymore, so then I started a new account, was getting them and now again I've not got them since the middle of December. So rubbish so as above says, I'll just add 10% to my prices and have to deal with things struggling to sell and those with the promo offers undercutting me. What really annoys me is German ebay for example, they don't get any fees, at all.. why?

Message 12 of 64
See Most Recent

'

Ebay will be measuring the success of this change to non regular FVF promos from regular to random.

- If their metric is total listings and everyone does this, then total listings will not decrease and so they will think it a success and are less likely to offer promos in the future.
-If their metric is a drop in revenue, then the fewer items you sell, but at higher fees to ebay, may actually mean they make more. I think this is why they are doing it. But you will sell less so make less.

Either way I will be de-listing items so Ebay see a drop in both metrics which hopefully will encourage them to start offering FVF promos again. If after a month or so none have been forthcoming I will either relist with 10% added to price, or use other channels more.'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting take on this. To clarify, ebay are a business, so assuming no other priority, the driver will undoubtedly be revenue.

In my opinion Ebay have appeared to go from the sublime to the ridiculous with 80% off fees and no listing fees working out at less than the old paypal fee . It is a distant memory but do you remember listing fees; doing away with them would have had a huge impact on ebay listed items? Fees at 12.8% albeit including the merchant service element is too much in my opinion, so I will be taking some action that will inevitably choke off demand for the items I sell. I think that this thread, that I happened to stumble on, shows that there it not too much concern over this for most at the moment. On that basis I don't think it will change the habits of that many sellers. The worst thing that can happen is for sellers to ignore this and effectively absorb the extra fees.

I was very pleased when the 80% off carried on for a long period of time but confused as to the intended reason for it. I was thinking that it was a means to boost listings and sales, if these were significant criteria in company valuation for whatever reason.    

Selling low price items is difficult on ebay, as a private seller  because of the 30p blanket charge and fees on postage which inevitably makes up a disproportionate percentage of the transaction and an automatic loss.   

I hope your action will not prove to be a waste of selling opportunity on your part with absolutely no change in the intended direction of ebay. Perhaps you have an alternative selling platform to suggest that could possibly compete with ebay. I mainly sell car parts and regrettably ebay with their search visibility attract the sort of buyers that make this succeed.     

Message 13 of 64
See Most Recent

Yeah, delisting doesn't make a difference. When I stopped getting the offers on my other account I took everything off and made a new account. The new account was then getting offers but the older one where I delist all hasn't received a single offer since, which has been many months now 

Message 14 of 64
See Most Recent

Yeah, delisting doesn't make a difference. When I stopped getting the offers on my other account I took everything off and made a new account. The new account was then getting offers but the older one where I delist all hasn't received a single offer since, which has been many months now .

Message 15 of 64
See Most Recent

My main account is nearly 20 years old, so remember the changes. IIRC the free listing and then the FVF promos from 2016 onwards were a direct response to the rise of Facebook marketplace. Sadly FB Market place has never realised its potential. It doesnt have the reach of Ebay, the algorythm based search simply doesnt work and the feedback doesnt work either. Such a missed opportunity. I wonder if Ebay now realise its not such a threat so think they can afford to withdraw these promos.

By curtailing my sales on Ebay I hope to "tickle the algorythm" either on a personal level, or along with others doing the same, collectively.  Sadly I have never experienced Ebay listening to feedback so it seems the only way to communicate to them. I just want to sell my spare stuff and get on with my life so I will see what happens. I agree that Ebay is king for reach but I will look at Instagram, FB, Amazon and see what else is out there. Or just at some point relist with higher prices and see what happens. I have never had negative feedback (now 2.5k) and have always followed the rules scrupulously so think I might be the kind of customer Ebay value. Time will tell.

Message 16 of 64
See Most Recent

Interesting, thanks! January is normally dead anyway for selling so will take a while to see what happens. I sold a lot of stuff over xmas so could do with a break anyway and have other things to get on with.

Message 17 of 64
See Most Recent

I'd been waiting on this 80% off to clear some stuff I got for Christmas, it was like clock work every 2 weeks for years.  Just popped on to see if others were having this issue and here we are.  Not sure what to do now.  For small items might not be worth while, items £200+ might have to take the hit, no where else to seel them really, gumtree is dead and Facebook is a sh*tshow

Message 18 of 64
See Most Recent

Vinted👍
Message 19 of 64
See Most Recent

Maybe they stopped sending offers to people with a lot of sales reaching the £1000 limit? 

Message 20 of 64
See Most Recent