False 'item defective' claim - what do I do

A buyer has claimed an item I sent is not waterproof.  Its an outdoor coat but I didn't describe it as waterproof.  I have by mistake accepted a return as the button stuck on my laptop.  Can you reverse this ?

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@gaelic_galley wrote:

I have by mistake accepted a return as the button stuck on my laptop.

As you don't accept remorse returns the buyer can only have opened an "item not as described" (INAD) return. Seller's do not choose whether to accept such return "requests" or not; they are automatically accepted by eBay. Doing nothing or arguing with the buyer ultimately results in the buyer receiving a full refund, being told they don't need to return the item with the seller receiving a damaging defect against their account.

You need to make sure you send a return label to the buyer if eBay hasn't already done so - it should tell you in the case whether eBay has already issued a return label at your expense or not. Usually when buyers open INAD requests they are required to upload a picture to illustrate their case - has your buyer provided a photo?

Something worth checking at this point is the feedback your buyer has left for sellers. Have they left any feedback for sellers and, if so, what does it look like?

If the buyer returns something other than the jacket you sent there is a process for dealing with that if/when that situation arises that won't leave you out of pocket. For now you'll need to wait until the buyer returns the item. You could try reporting the buyer for misusing returns but I'd advise waiting until you receive what the buyer sends back first. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

unfortunately you cannot.

Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

Now you have accepted the return, you should provide a return label, get the item back and refund.

You can't change your mind once you have accepted a refund, even if you did not mean to accept it.

You can report the buyer for opening a claim for a false reason after you get the coat back if you want to.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

Thankyou - I thought so - as a seller you don't seem to have much security 

Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

No, you can't reverse a return.   It was probably best to accept it anyway.   eBay tend to side with buyers and would almost certainly enforce the return if the buyer escalated it which could harm your account.  

Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

Probably right.  Seller doesn't seem to have much support.  Thankyou 

Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

The waxed cotton jacket?

They are, by their very nature, designed to be waterproof

Anyone buying a waxed jacket would expect it to be waterproof

The buyer has every right to return a jacket that should be waterproof and is not. 

Seller cannot refuse to accept returns where a buyer states item is not as described, anyway, so you would have to refund in full and pay return postage as the buyer has rightly opened  a case for the correct reasons. 

The other posters should have looked to see the item listing before commenting...

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

@gaelic_galley wrote:

I have by mistake accepted a return as the button stuck on my laptop.

As you don't accept remorse returns the buyer can only have opened an "item not as described" (INAD) return. Seller's do not choose whether to accept such return "requests" or not; they are automatically accepted by eBay. Doing nothing or arguing with the buyer ultimately results in the buyer receiving a full refund, being told they don't need to return the item with the seller receiving a damaging defect against their account.

You need to make sure you send a return label to the buyer if eBay hasn't already done so - it should tell you in the case whether eBay has already issued a return label at your expense or not. Usually when buyers open INAD requests they are required to upload a picture to illustrate their case - has your buyer provided a photo?

Something worth checking at this point is the feedback your buyer has left for sellers. Have they left any feedback for sellers and, if so, what does it look like?

If the buyer returns something other than the jacket you sent there is a process for dealing with that if/when that situation arises that won't leave you out of pocket. For now you'll need to wait until the buyer returns the item. You could try reporting the buyer for misusing returns but I'd advise waiting until you receive what the buyer sends back first. 

Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

Yes totally agree, the seller though is claiming there isn't enough 'wax' on the coat  and therefore not waterproof which is ridiculous.  

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

Thanks - I will try that - so much stress you can just do without

Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

You should also be aware that the original complaint from the buyer was the coat was too lightweight. They then decided that was their error for not asking the weight and switched complaint to not being enough wax on the coat so you need to know the full details before commenting. Thankyou 

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

@gaelic_galley wrote:

Yes totally agree, the seller though is claiming there isn't enough 'wax' on the coat  and therefore not waterproof which is ridiculous.  

Looks like it needs re-proofing to me

Did you REALLY only wear it twice? Looks well worn on the exterior to me for something worn only twice

Storage can affect the wax, sounds (and looks) like it needs re-proofing already

Either way I would not try to resell it without reproofing it as any buyer will expect an expensive Barbour wax to be waterproof. 

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

Yes actually I REALLY did only wear it twice -   

If it needs re-proofing that is perfectly possible. Personally I didn't think it did or I would have put that in the listing. I have never had an issue like this or ever posted on this groupd for help. 

I posted on here for help not abuse thankyou. 

Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

@gaelic_galley wrote:

You should also be aware that the original complaint from the buyer was the coat was too lightweight. They then decided that was their error for not asking the weight and switched complaint to not being enough wax on the coat so you need to know the full details before commenting. Thankyou 

It is immaterial what the buyer claims, you WILL be refunding once they send it back, now they have opened a case.

You cannot refuse to accept returns and refund in full. eBay will take the funds from your account to refund the buyer if you refuse. They may even refund the buyer without them returning it if you do not send a pre-paid return label within 3 days of the case being opened. 

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

@gaelic_galley wrote:

Yes actually I REALLY did only wear it twice -   

If it needs re-proofing that is perfectly possible. Personally I didn't think it did or I would have put that in the listing. I have never had an issue like this or ever posted on this groupd for help. 

I posted on here for help not abuse thankyou. 

Nobody is abusing you

You just don't like the correct answers you are being given, you prefer the answers that suggest you can get away with not refunding, which are incorrect answers. 

Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

What?  I don't like people like you being rude and aggressive sat behind a keyboard.  Goodbye.  Get a life. 

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

@myriad*seller wrote:

The waxed cotton jacket?

Actually...not necessarily. If something is marketed or labelled as "waterproof" it has a specific meaning. Many such jackets are marketed or labelled as "weatherproof" rather than "waterproof". Even Barbour's own website makes a distinction between "waxed" and "waterproof" jackets. 

Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

Oh dear, clearly I was correct, would you prefer I gave you a false answer saying you don't have to refund?

You'd find out that was a lie within 5 days though... when eBay takes the funds to refund the buyer

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

@4_bathrooms wrote:

@myriad*seller wrote:

The waxed cotton jacket?

Actually...not necessarily. If something is marketed or labelled as "waterproof" it has a specific meaning. Many such jackets are marketed or labelled as "weatherproof" rather than "waterproof". Even Barbour's own website makes a distinction between "waxed" and "waterproof" jackets. 

The purpose of applying the wax to the cotton is to waterproof it. Waxed jackets are designed to be waterproof, that is the whole point! 

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

For any future coats, don't forget there's a big difference between "shower-proof" and "waterproof".

Many coats can be expected to be at least partly shower-proof. Coats that are actually shower-proof are likely to be advertised by the manufacturer as such and possibly mentioned on its attached labels.

Waterproof coats are a big step up and reasonable people wouldn't expect a coat to be waterproof unless the advertising specifically says so. Generally waterproof (as opposed to merely showerproof) tends to command much higher prices, and often a waterproof coat comes with instructions on how to maintain the waterproofing e.g. rub on some stuff sold in a tin.

It's a bit much to expect a coat to be waterproof (or even showerproof) without it being specifically advertised as such.

It also seems a bit much for a buyer to force a return on you for a negative i.e. that you hadn't described the coat as waterproof (let alone showerproof). Are sellers now going to have to start listing all the things an item is NOT?!?

Mentioned merely in case you want to consider descriptions in any future listing. I'm afraid it won't help with the current matter; but maybe it'll help another time?

Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: