Courier collection - buyer needs my postcode for quote before purchasing

I have a large - heavy item for sale and it has been listed as 'collection in person only' or alternatively they can send a courier. The customer wants to buy, but needs my postcode/address to get a quote before purchasing, as the cost of the courier needs to be factored into their budget. What can I do?

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't think an address can be sent via EBay messages.  But I think they will let you share a phone number. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/contacting-buyer-bidder?id=4083

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Just let them have the Postcode. Thats enough to get a courier quote. If they buy then they can have your address.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Do you want to sell it, or not ? Postcode is not the precise house/flat location. You could try referring them to the Item Location as shown in the advert, state that that's correct & you don't want to provide precise details until the transaction has been finalised

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

I don't think an address can be sent via EBay messages.  But I think they will let you share a phone number. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/contacting-buyer-bidder?id=4083

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Good Morning Red

Surely any courier worth his salt can supply a quote for a pick-up in Plymouth?  Personally,if it is your speakers,then I would insist on collection in person, with payment on pick-up.  Keep it simple otherwise it will end in tears. 

Good luck. 

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

I woudn't allow the buyer to send a courier.

I don't believe the buyer will pay for a removal company to collect (who will accept unpacked items and should do a professional job), they will want to send an Evri driver with a label and expect you to pack up. Then if item damaged buyer may blame you - likely with cheap courier and heavy item. Maybe they're not too far away and will send a man with a van who charges per mile, but would you trust such a service not to damage the item?

So I think you either make it possible to offer postage, or you insist on collection in person. If it's the speakers that you list as 30 kg then I assume they're 15 kg each, could you send in two separate boxes - 20kg parcels can be sent with ParcelForce for about £12 per parcel. If you can't/won't do that then it's collection only and be strict.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

I was only asking if it was OK to send a postcode - or would this be against eBay policy.

On the other matters you raised:

"I don't believe the buyer will pay for a removal company to collect" 
This is the exact reason why I have a buyer asking for the postcode - to pay for a removal company to collect.

"if item damaged buyer may blame you" 
If they send a courier, then they lose their Ebay Moneyback Guarantee. I took video of these working and sounding great.

"could you send in two separate boxes - 20kg parcels can be sent with ParcelForce for about £12 per parcel."

That is a very good suggestion - thank you. They are very difficult to carry once boxed. they would be hard to box. I think cling film is my best option but of course they could be damaged.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Thank you. I agree, everytime I have tried to help customers who complicate things - I lose out.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

When a buyer clicks on "contact seller" on a collection only item the sellers postcode is shown at the top.

Might be different on the app but it shows on a pc/laptop.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Thats very useful to know thank you!

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent