Confused about postage label fee

I sold my item last week with the buyer pays postage option. The grand total came to £121, meaning I sold it for £115 and the buyer paid the postage which was £6.

Today I got my payout but just before that it took out the paypal postage fee out of my account, shouldn't that have already been taken out at the time from the buyer's account?

So now, technically, I only made £99 from the sale as opposed to £105 which is a bummer. Have I missed something?

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Ebay charge their fees based on the item plus the postage you charged, so they charged you fees of 12.8% plus 30p, which comes to £15.79, and which they deducted from your payout, leaving you just over £105.

You then bought your postage using PayPal, as an entirely separate transaction, but ultimately funded from the £105.

So the buyer paid the £6 postage to ebay, they charged you fees on it (as well as the item value), and deducted the fees from the payout.  

When it says buyer pays postage, that just means that it is not free postage, the only actual payment they make is to you, but via ebay.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

The buyer paid you the postage, therefore postage is paid from your account.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

I checked my banking app and no money went into my account, that's why I couldn't understand why it came off just before the payment came in today. If the otpion selelcted was buyer pays postage I'm still confused as to why I'm minus £6.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Yeah, you sold it for £121.00 - ebay took about £15 in fees left you with about £105 then you bought a postage label ( I'm guessing through ebay) minus £6.00 = £99

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Ebay charge their fees based on the item plus the postage you charged, so they charged you fees of 12.8% plus 30p, which comes to £15.79, and which they deducted from your payout, leaving you just over £105.

You then bought your postage using PayPal, as an entirely separate transaction, but ultimately funded from the £105.

So the buyer paid the £6 postage to ebay, they charged you fees on it (as well as the item value), and deducted the fees from the payout.  

When it says buyer pays postage, that just means that it is not free postage, the only actual payment they make is to you, but via ebay.  

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Ah, I see. I get it now. Thanks for clarifying.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent