Paid for postage, did not get money back

I only sell on e-bay ocassionally, so perhaps I don't understand something. Here it is. I sold an item, buyer paid for postage £3.29. On e-bay website I went to postage labels and paid £3.29 for postage via PayPal. I was expecting this money being transferred to me from the seller, but e-bay subtracted it from the payment.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 09.28.43.png

As you can see the postage label is subtracted from my earnings.

So, I (seller) paid for postage, the buyer paid for postage, and e-bay took the money. What is going on?

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Have a look here at the breakdown of that transaction,  it will show fees paid, and amount received.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sh/fin/transactions

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

Your invoice is correct.

The buyer paid you for the postage, and you bought the postage label from eBay.

The buyer paid you £150.29, including the postage.

eBay charged you £19.54 fees on the total transaction cost including postage. (12.8% pluc 30p.)

eBay charged you £3.29 for the postage label you bought from them.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

But I paid for the label via PayPal, it is already on my credit card. Shouldn't I be reimbursed for it?

From my point of view it looks like this:

- I paid £3.29 for postage directly.

- Buyer paid £3.29 for postage to ebay.

- Ebay kept buyers money.

It looks like we both paid for postage. It should be only buyer paying for this. I am confused.

Another way to look at this. The item was sold for £147. The fee is £19.54. Therefore, I should be paid £127.46. And this is what they are paying, except that I also paid £3.29 for postage, so effectively I reveice £124.17. 

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Have a look here at the breakdown of that transaction,  it will show fees paid, and amount received.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sh/fin/transactions

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Oh, according to this breakdown, I actually reveive £130.75 form ebay, minus £3.29 I paid for postage gives £127.46 as expected. The breakdown I posted initially implied £3.29 missing. My misunderstanding.

Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent