Buyer trying to scam me

Hi everyone 

I'll try and make this as concise as possible. 

I sold an authentic jacket from a well known brand via ebay at the end of December. Advertised in excellent condition (which it was) but minus the belt the jacket usually comes with. 

I sent the item via tracked parcelforce delivery and it was delivered to the correct address and named buyer on the 2/1/24. The buyer told me that the parcel was delivered to his neighbour and he didn't receive the box (that he confirmed was undamaged) until the 3/1/24. I have spoken to parcelforce and they have told me he this is incorrect and that the parcel was delivered to the correct address and handed personally to the named buyer. I do have a blurred photo confirming all this.

The buyer messaged me immediately after him opening the undamaged box at 6pm on the 3/1/24. He sent over 2 photos that left me completely baffled. The jacket was indeed discoloured and looked in poor condition.

I apologised immediately (all this conversation is logged between us on the ebay app) and agreed he could return the jacket and I would refund him in full. No questions asked.

This obviously really bothered me as I knew the jacket was in good condtion and he confirmed the box was not damaged during delivery.

I requested more photos from the buyer and that's when my suspicions grew more. The inner label on the expensive jacket is clearly different on many of the photos he has sent. I'm not talking minute details. The photos are overwhelming. It seems that he is interchanging the 2 jackets for photos. Showing the damaged jacket (that is almost identical but is either a fake or damaged from his own wear and tear) and my decent jacket. All these photos are logged on our ebay conversation and show that he is sending them.

After seeing these photos I declined the verbal agreement we had of him returning the jacket for a full refund as I believe the jacket i will receive will be either fake or damaged.

He has now gone through ebay and activated a return request. I have got so much evidence from the delivery to a neighbour and the his photos clearly showing 2 different labels.

I have until tomorrow to respond. Do you have any advice? I believe I'm being scammed and I have compelling evidence to confirm this.

I'm really after advice and guidance on my next move with this.

Thanks in advance.

FIRST PHOTO TOP LEFT ON COLLAGE IS MINE. ALL THE REST ARE FROM THE BUYER FROM THE 3/1/24.

Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

Buyer trying to scam me

It's a bad situation for you. I hope that you get some response from the community who might be able to offer better advice. The way i see it is, if you don't respond and send a return label by the deadline you will be forced to refund i.e eBay will refund and take the payment from you, also you would have none of your transaction fees returned and buyer will keep the jacket as well. Don't see there being a successful outcome for you which i hope is not the case.

Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

This sort of situation pops up on these boards fairly often.

Ebay's stance is usually on the buyers side as they never get to see the actual item.

If the buyer has opened a "not as described" claim you have 3 working days to issue a prepaid returns label and issue a full refund when item arrives back to you.You would then get your fee's back and no defect.You can also appeal and upload the evidence.

Whether or not the item is the same as you sent is immaterial at this point.

If you decline the request your buyer can escalate it to Ebay on day 4.They would then force a refund ,keep the fee's and give you a defect and no option to appeal.They may also tell buyer to do as they wish with the item.

You can report the buyer for misuse of the MBG and i guess you could also report them to action fraud or even take them to small claims court (not sure on that one).

If you accept the return and appeal you may get a "no fault" refund from Ebay but that's a long shot.

The returns process is fully automated ,no humans look at it at all unless it get's to the appeal stage.

Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

So I should accept his return? And hope he sends me my jacket with the circle and full stop within it. He would be mad to send me the jacket with 'r' and solid full stop connected together, surely? 

So accept return and await the goods he send me back?

Thank you so much for replying.

Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

I'd send them a message through eBay at least calling their bluff and documenting this so eBay can read it if required to.

Ask if they are getting you mixed up with another seller and purchase, only because the photos they've sent are not of your jacket (send them the photo montage you've posted here). Point out that the jacket they've sent photos of, whilst similar is clearly much more worn and, looking at the lettering, appears to be a fake one.

Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

@mysecondhandclothes1983 wrote:

So accept return and await the goods he send me back?

You don't really have a choice; eBay's return process is almost entirely automated. If you don't send a return label by the deadline given by eBay (typically 3 days after the case was opened) your buyer can ask eBay to step in and if they do they will be refunded and told they do not need to return the item.

If the buyer sends back a different jacket you need to do the following in order:

1. File a report with Action Fraud. They're unlikely to actually do anything but they will provide a reference number.
  2. At the bottom of the case there will be a button/link titled "Report a problem" or similar. Click this and select "Returned a different item" or whatever the nearest equivalent is. NOTE: this is not the "Ask us to step in" link. You need to include supporting pictures and the reference number from Action Fraud in your report.
  3. The case should close and a new one should be opened. At this point someone from eBay will actually look at the (new) case.

Please come back and let us know how you get on. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

Appreciate this may be a little over the top and hard to follow, but I have compiled a collage of evidence against the buyer. 

Appreciate my English and sarcasm in my photos and descriptions are not great, but there you go.

If anyone can be arsed to take a look and comment that would be great

Also if you tell me I'm a sad act and to get a like, that's fine too.

Thanks.

Collage no 1 my time stamped photos of jacket and delivery.

Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

Collage no 2 

Evidence of parcel delivery to named buyer and address and start of our communication on ebay

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

Collage no 3 

General chat between us.

Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

Collage no 4

General chat and me describing first 4 collages.

Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

Collage no 5

Me querying his photo that he sent to me on Ebay 4/1/24 at 7.15pm. Collage includes close up of label.

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

Collage no 6

Me querying photo sent at 9.30PM on the 4/1/24. Includes photos of me zooming in on label and how this photo differed from 7.15pm photo.

@mysecondhandclothes1983 wrote:

Hi everyone 

I'll try and make this as concise as possible. 

I sold an authentic jacket from a well known brand via ebay at the end of December. Advertised in excellent condition (which it was) but minus the belt the jacket usually comes with. 

I sent the item via tracked parcelforce delivery and it was delivered to the correct address and named buyer on the 2/1/24. The buyer told me that the parcel was delivered to his neighbour and he didn't receive the box (that he confirmed was undamaged) until the 3/1/24. I have spoken to parcelforce and they have told me he this is incorrect and that the parcel was delivered to the correct address and handed personally to the named buyer. I do have a blurred photo confirming all this.

The buyer messaged me immediately after him opening the undamaged box at 6pm on the 3/1/24. He sent over 2 photos that left me completely baffled. The jacket was indeed discoloured and looked in poor condition.

I apologised immediately (all this conversation is logged between us on the ebay app) and agreed he could return the jacket and I would refund him in full. No questions asked.

This obviously really bothered me as I knew the jacket was in good condtion and he confirmed the box was not damaged during delivery.

I requested more photos from the buyer and that's when my suspicions grew more. The inner label on the expensive jacket is clearly different on many of the photos he has sent. I'm not talking minute details. The photos are overwhelming. It seems that he is interchanging the 2 jackets for photos. Showing the damaged jacket (that is almost identical but is either a fake or damaged from his own wear and tear) and my decent jacket. All these photos are logged on our ebay conversation and show that he is sending them.

After seeing these photos I declined the verbal agreement we had of him returning the jacket for a full refund as I believe the jacket i will receive will be either fake or damaged.

He has now gone through ebay and activated a return request. I have got so much evidence from the delivery to a neighbour and the his photos clearly showing 2 different labels.

I have until tomorrow to respond. Do you have any advice? I believe I'm being scammed and I have compelling evidence to confirm this.

I'm really after advice and guidance on my next move with this.

Thanks in advance.

FIRST PHOTO TOP LEFT ON COLLAGE IS MINE. ALL THE REST ARE FROM THE BUYER FROM THE 3/1/24.

Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

And finally collage no 7

I have accepted the return and provided the buyer with a paid stamp to return it. Which he has posted this morning.

Thanks guys.

Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

Probably best just leave this one now and accept defeat ☹️

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

Buyer trying to scam me

You have been advised what to do if you get a different jacket back.  Don't give up until you have done that!

Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent