Buyer/tracking info says delivered including a picture

Hello, I have came across this subject a few times today but feel I need to make my own post for my own conscience as I am not sure if I am handling the problem correctly as I have only been selling just short of two months. 

The buyer selected EVRI Tracked so I bought the label on the eBay app and they scanned it at the shop and put a label on it and off the parcel went. 

It arrived in 2 days but whilst the buyer was at work. They checked the tracking at work and saw it was delivered. They got home and it was not there. 

I have checked tracking on the EVRI app and can see the parcel was left in front of their front door. eBay and the EVRI app both show delivered. 

I have done all that is needed as a seller right? Surely I am not responsible for if the parcel has been stolen (or even worse, whats stopping the buyer from getting home, bringing the item inside and simply claiming it weren't there) 

if it has genuinely gone missing I do feel bad but I am not sure why I would have to refund and do the running around to and from EVRI. 

has anyone got any definitive answers to my situation. 

i am also from the UK

Message 1 of 30
See Most Recent
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Buyer/tracking info says delivered including a picture

Whilst I agree you could just turn it around and say sellers should take more responsibility as they are the ones selling the item and if they know a courier isnt very good and just leaves stuff they should probably offer alternatives or stop using that courier, they wont though as its cheaper but for me the problems starts with the seller using a courier which in some areas of the country is terrible.

Message 21 of 30
See Most Recent

@johnwash1 wrote:

This parcel sat in my enclosed porch for 15 days before being collected by Evri.  Yes, FIFTEEN DAYS, despite my using much time going round in circles with Evri's infuriating bot, phoning Evri support who promise but never follow up, despite even contacting the CEO's office.

If you're suggesting that Packlink cause Evri to give worse service than that...

I am. It isn't just Evri but possibly all the couriers Packlink broker for.

Brokered items are processed in bulk and the broker will have preferential rates due to the sheer volume of items they send. The collecting and delivering depots therefore get paid less for handling each brokered item than an item that was booked direct or via a normal business account. Having used direct accounts and various brokers I can say there definitely is a difference when using a broker - in my experience brokered items are more likely to be collected late, delivered late, lost or damaged in transit. However, I haven't had any more problems booking with Interparcel than I did with a direct account. One example of how items can be handled differently is DPD - they have "normal" DPD (red logo) employing salaried drivers and "DPD Local" (blue logo) which I think is franchised with the drivers being zero-hour contractors.

That said, all couriers will have local issues with drivers. In areas where a dedicated local depot isn't feasible due to a lack of populace (for example) the driver will almost certainly be a zero-hour contractor paid per job. Even if that driver is terrible at their job the courier company might not be able to find someone else in the same area who is willing to work the same hours for peanuts. In terms of parcels I have sent I have had far less problems with Evri than I have with Royal Mail/Parcelforce - and that's without taking the 2022/2023 strikes into account. I've recently started using Tuffnells as their prices are comparable to Evri's for what I send and I haven't had any problems so far. But I do know there's a good chance that one day somebody living in an area with a "bad" Tuffnells driver will place an order.     

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 22 of 30
See Most Recent

I've never heard of Tuffnells.  Brief research seems to indicate they compete for large awkward parcels for businesses.  I'm a private seller trying to declutter, most of my items are RM small/medium parcel, biggest would be the size of a tower pc.  Bigger than that is too much of a pain to package, so for such I only do local collect.

But thanks for mentioning them.

I agree that all companies may have difficulties recruiting drivers who'll work for peanuts, so I can understand situations where something's not collected for a couple of days or so.  But fifteen?  If I were the CEO I'd take that as an indication the local depot manager needed lining up for a performance improvement plan.  Or a firing squad.

Message 23 of 30
See Most Recent

Miniature update: 

so the buyer is asking me for a refund and is pestering me whilst I am at work. 

I have not heard anything for eBay/EVRI yet regarding the matter. The buyer does has a response from EVRI admitting fault for leaving the parcel unattended and will be following things up with the driver. 

Apart from this, am I not entitled to at least protect my self until I receive further instruction from EVRI or eBay? Meaning I don't want to issue a full refund but then be battling with EVRI over the money being refunded back to me or even worse, I send the refund to the buyer and then miraculously the parcel shows up and then EVRI back track on the claim and will no longer issue me it? 

not had to do this before so just worried about being without the item AND the money. I hope I am not sounding stubborn and unwilling to help because I am, I just also surely need to make sure I'm safe too as I ain't a business, I'm just a normal person like the buyer, buying and selling stuff in my free time

thank you and kind regards, Billy

Message 24 of 30
See Most Recent

Is the INR case still open after you uploaded the tracking reference?

Message 25 of 30
See Most Recent

The problem with some sellers is that they change the delivery method from that in their listing and if they change to a courier who dumps it on your doorstep and goes missing, as far as ebay are concerned tough luck on the buyer as it is shown as delivered.

Message 26 of 30
See Most Recent

On the case page it says the buyer can get eBay involved on the 18th. Tracking number is there ready. 

Message 27 of 30
See Most Recent

When the buyer escalates (which they surely will) the case should be closed in your favour. As long as all the conditions under "Evidence of successful delivery" are met and as long as you haven't promised or otherwise intimated you would be willing to refund the buyer voluntarily at some point (either via the case or eBay messages) you should be protected.

Of course, your buyer might well be telling the truth but they can still file a dispute with their payment provider. In your shoes I would direct the buyer to do so - their payment provider (unless it's PayPal) will refund them and eBay ultimately won't hold you liable for funding that refund. So your buyer will get their money back - which you will have helped them to do - and you won't be left without the item nor the money. 

Message 28 of 30
See Most Recent

Reading that link gives me hope that the case will be closed and thats that. Not saying I don't care about the buyer, what I am worried about is getting caught up in a messy situation with EVRI and arguing about getting my money back etc whilst all along eBay would do that for me/for the buyer. 

the only thing I am concerned about in that link is the use of the words "successful delivery". Would the parcel being dumped on the door step with no contact with the buyer be classed as a successful delivery? Or is it still good enough to clear my case in my favour as I've done all that was required 

Message 29 of 30
See Most Recent

@low.uk9 wrote:

Not saying I don't care about the buyer, what I am worried about is getting caught up in a messy situation with EVRI and arguing about getting my money back etc whilst all along eBay would do that for me/for the buyer. 

You shouldn't try to get compensated by eBay and Packlink; if eBay believe Packlink are compensating you they will be unlikely to refund the buyer out of their own pocket. Note you are not Evri's customer; you are Packlink's customer who in turn are Evri's customer - you cannot make a claim against Evri as you never had a contract with them.

@low.uk9 wrote:

the only thing I am concerned about in that link is the use of the words "successful delivery". Would the parcel being dumped on the door step with no contact with the buyer be classed as a successful delivery? Or is it still good enough to clear my case in my favour as I've done all that was required 

Note it states:

"A delivery status of "delivered" or "attempted delivery" (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered)". Signature confirmation is only required for items that cost £450 or more.

Message 30 of 30
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: