Buyer from Romania. I am selling and have received an email from a potential buyer in Romania

I have received an email from a potential buyer asking if I can post to Romania and allow a bid from Romania. Is this a scam?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Buyer from Romania. I am selling and have received an email from a potential buyer in Romania

Unlikely to be a scam.   You only have 2 items for sale and neither are the type of thing a typical scammer would go after. Do they have any feedback ?

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Why do you think it's a scam and not just an interested buyer from Romania?

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

You are a new seller, so it is advisable, to avoid issues with posting internationally,   as papso said no reason for this to be a scam,  but  for the time being I would advise to stick with selling items within the UK.

Get a feel and an understanding how selling on eBay works, before attempting international sales which can produce problems you don't wish to encounter being new.  For example if those speakers sent and arrived damaged, post can be unreliable or stuck there in customs,  you face refunds,  and probably expensive return costs.

So this is probably not a scam, but stick to UK sales until you are confident with how eBay works.

Set your Site Preferences to the UK for the time being here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ship/prf

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

I oocasionally sell to Romania, with no problems until recently, when I have had a couple sending me the message below, almost word for word, two before buying, and one after. I cancelled the one which had completed, and blocked all three bidders.

Dear Sir,

Just a question. In fact, several:

I am from Romania, Europe. This being said, if I buy from you here, automatically IT would perceive a VAT from me and Romanian customs, when the parcel would reach me, would add another bunch of similar fees! I simply pay them twice. So, if you please, given the fact I would like to have some records from you, would you accept the following:

1. Ticking the gift box on the parcel and custom papers (this would prevent me from adding taxes in Romanian customs)

2. Setting the value of the parcel under 9GBPs, let's say (this would also prevent me from adding taxes in Romanian customs)

3. Not include any papers, receipts, invoices, proving it was an internet purchase inside the parcel (this would prevent me from adding taxes in Romanian customs, as well)

4. Making the transaction off ebay (this would prevent me from the stupid and futile VAT, but it's optional, of course)

Thank you so much, please let me know!

Cordially and grateful,

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

That's not good!

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent