Buyer didn't receive the item - How do I recover it from Royal Mail?

Hey,

I sold an item last week, the buyer wasnt home for three delivery attempts by Royal Mail so the Buyer have logged an "Buyer didn't receive the item" case against me (I wasnt aware that this is to be used like this?? as its not a didnt recieve, its that they havent been home for multiple attempts).

I've contacted the buyer and informed them that they need to either collect it from their local delivery office or make arrangements for redelivery on a date that they can be available. From this the Buyer arranged delivery to another address but were also not in when the delivery weas attempted (making it now 4 missed attempts).

Currenlty the package is held at their local delivery office and my funds are on hold because of the "Buyer didn't receive the item" case against me, and I've reached out to the buyer multiple times to try and get this resolved but I've received zero response.

Is there a way I can have the goods returned to me so I can then issue a refund and relist the item?

TIA

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Hopefully you put a return address on the reverse of the package? If so it will come back to you eventually.

Make sure you have added the tracking number to the transaction so that if your buyer opens an INR it should close in your favour as missing a delivery or refusing delivery counts as successful delivery and you should not have to refund.

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

It was a pre-paid tracking label purchased directly through eBay so as far as I'm aware it has a return address present on the front, the tracking info was uploaded to the listing automatically on purchase of the label.

The buyer messaged me at 02:21 to say they hadn't received their item (this was after the third failed delivery attempt), then at 02:27 an Item Not Received case was opened against me, then at 02:28 I received an email from eBay saying they had previously contacted me about this and now my funds were on hold (not sure what I was supposed to do between 02:27 and 02:28 but glad they made it clear that they had contacted me previously..... ???). So there is already a INR case open against this order, even though it has 4 failed delivery attempts due to receiver not home.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Add the tracking number to the INR case so that ebay can see the 4 delivery attempts. Then the case should close in your favour.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

When i select to add a tracking number the one uploaded from the purchase of the label is already there and greyed out so it can't be changed / edited or updated.

How long does it take eBay to settle a case?

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

There isn't a set time for a case to be settled, but attempted deliveries account for the same status as a delivered item in eBay's eyes.

The tracking has automatically been added  no need to add again, hence the greyed out areas.

It will show attempted delivery,  so the case will close in your favour, it just annoyingly, may not do so immediately.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Once an INR case is opened the seller is given 3 working days I think. After that point the buyer can escalate the case - if they do eBay will review and at that point the case should be closed in your favour because tracking shows attempted delivery.

I can understand if you'd rather not have to wait, but my advice is just wait it out. If you intervene and ask eBay to get involved earlier they may make the wrong decision. Just let it be.

If you can, it would still be the best outcome to encourage the buyer to collect the item or book another redelivery. Though I'm sure I'd be fed up with this buyer by now, still better to assume they're a busy keyworker with a boss who changes their shifts at the last minute so they're doing their best etc...

Royal Mail keep items for 18 days I believe, then they return to you. Though returning uncollected items isn't their top priority so it can be slower.

If the buyer doesn't escalate the INR case then it will time out after about 3 weeks (closing in your favour).

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Call me suspicious but this buyer may be hoping to get a refund from the OP and then be planning to retrieve the item from the DO so he ends up with the item and the money.

Of course it may just be my suspicious mind as I say. Probably I've spent fat too long on these boards!

******************************************************************************************