Buyer claims item not received but tracking shows it was delivered. Case opened for a refund, what d

I have clear tracking showing item delivered but buyer claims not - have received claim for refund - not sure what to do

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Buyer claims item not received but tracking shows it was delivered. Case opened for a refund, what d

@eastern_standard_time wrote:

Just citing personal experience: one instance as a seller, one as a buyer. Feel free to ignore it if you choose.

I'm not ignoring it, that's why I asked if you had personal experience of it.

eBay's "Item Not Received" process is almost entirely automated; providing "tracking" that correlates with an online delivery confirmation or an attempted delivery scan closes the case automatically in most cases. As an "attempted delivery" scan is enough to close such a case it seems odd that a human at eBay actually looked at the online delivery scan and decided there was insufficient proof of delivery. If I was a private seller (who has different legal obligations to a private seller) I would have directed eBay to their own stated policy. 

A private seller is not responsible for ensuring their buyer receives the item in person; they are only responsible for handing the item over to the agreed carrier. A business seller is responsible for ensuring the buyer receives the item in person unless the buyer has agreed otherwise. eBay is usually only interested in whether there is an online delivery (or attempted delivery) scan within whatever EDD window they chose to show the buyer. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Check by contacting the courier. You will be able to see where the item was delivered to and request GPS co ordinates. Most couriers will also provide you with a photo of proof of delivery. If you used Evri, you can request an investigation to where it was delivered. Whatever you do, respond to the request, re enter the tracking and put a note to say you will look in to the delivery. Ebay will cover you as you can prove delivery with the tracking number although as a responsible seller, try to do your best for the buyer.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Sent from my iPad
Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to do best for buyer & have contacted courier. There was a photo of package by bin but not there when buyer checked 

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

"Ebay will cover you as you can prove delivery with the tracking number"

This is only true if the photo doesn't show the item left outside the buyer's property. In this case you will lose and have to refund the buyer, then recover your losses from the courier (if the level of cover purchased covers that).

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

"Ebay will cover you as you can prove delivery with the tracking number"

This is only true if the photo doesn't show the item left outside the buyer's property. In this case you will lose and have to refund the buyer, then recover your losses from the courier (if the level of cover purchased covers that).

Do you have personal experience of that? eBay states:

"Evidence of successful delivery

We require all of the following to prove a successful on-time delivery:

Tracking number that can be validated on the shipping carrier's website and which was uploaded to eBay before the latest estimated delivery date;

A delivery status of "delivered" or "attempted delivery" (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered);

The date of delivery or attempted delivery;

The recipient's address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the one found on the Order details page; and

Signature confirmation, on orders with a total cost of £450 or more. Learn more about our signature confirmation requirements."

Nowhere does it state any requirements for what a photo should or should not show. 

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Just citing personal experience: one instance as a seller, one as a buyer. Feel free to ignore it if you choose.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

I'm not ignoring it, that's why I asked if you had personal experience of it.

eBay's "Item Not Received" process is almost entirely automated; providing "tracking" that correlates with an online delivery confirmation or an attempted delivery scan closes the case automatically in most cases. As an "attempted delivery" scan is enough to close such a case it seems odd that a human at eBay actually looked at the online delivery scan and decided there was insufficient proof of delivery. If I was a private seller (who has different legal obligations to a private seller) I would have directed eBay to their own stated policy. 

A private seller is not responsible for ensuring their buyer receives the item in person; they are only responsible for handing the item over to the agreed carrier. A business seller is responsible for ensuring the buyer receives the item in person unless the buyer has agreed otherwise. eBay is usually only interested in whether there is an online delivery (or attempted delivery) scan within whatever EDD window they chose to show the buyer. 

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

I have had the same experience recently. I sent the buyer a screenshot of the Royal Mail Tracking page showing that the item was delivered.

I also contacted customer services and explained the issue, and they assured me that the decision would be decided in my favour - and it was.

Send the buyer the screenshots / tracking details via eBay messenger, that is all you can feasibly do.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Seller sent wrong item. Wrong item was returned as arranged by seller. Item lost by parcel company so I'm left with no item no refund and left out of pocket 

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

As you sent the item back, you can claim from the courier.

If you opened a case through Ebay, they only expect the seller to refund if you can prove delivery.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi. From my experience of this I simply took screenshot of proof of delivery, sent it to eBay and that was end of it. Hope you get same result 👍👍👍👍

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent