Watch out for the new eBay delivery services and potential underpayment issues!

I've recently seen a number of Packlink related threads/discussions, but can't find any of them, so thought I'd re-iterate a few things...

Beware the new eBay delivery services!

They are all grouped together (Royal Mail/Parceforce and Couriers) - be aware though the Courier options (e.g. Evri/Yodel/DPD) are still "powered by Packlink" as per the small print under the service (when you click on it, does not show Packlink unless you click on an Evri/Yodel/DPD label service).

Now, I also seem to recall a lot of discussions, some of which were several pages long and with 100+ comments, about underpayment issues/surcharges. This is basically the courier/delivery provider (in this case, Packlink) informing the customer that they chose the wrong weight bracket for their item and that the item is due a surcharge as it was heavier than declared, etc etc.

The problem with a lot of these discussions was that there were several reports of Packlink making false underpayment/overweight claims, and then taking the money from the auto-payment source. Several members then reversed these payments through their payment providers.

Sadly, things are going to be a whole lot more complicated now, because - due to the small print at the very bottom of the new eBay delivery services:
"If the purchased label is not appropriate for your package (e.g. the package exceeds the weight/size limit you declare), Packlink may charge an additional fee. This fee will be deducted from your funds."

Yes, you heard correctly. If Packlink come up with a false surcharge for your item then they will pass it on to eBay who in turn will use your Direct Debit to take the money straight from your bank account that is linked with eBay. If the surcharge really is false (which a lot of them were; I had one once where a <750g large letter from RM grew to >1.2kg when another of the same thing was sent through Pasklink) then there will be no easy way to get your money back from eBay/Packlink, with any method of success being messy, convoluted, and likely to result in account limitations.

So I urge everyone to think twice before using the new eBay delivery system, with the exception of Royal Mail's standard Letter/Large Letter/Small Parcel/Medium Parcel options (or maybe Parcelforce 24/48)...

(I, for one, will continue to use reputable 3rd party courier sites, go direct to the courier, or use RM options through eBay only...)

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

redwick1
Experienced Mentor

Not many will see your post on here as it is just a few members visit and usually when they have  a problem

For discussions it may be better to put your post on the Discussion thread at the top of the page

I agree with you entirely the false claims from Packlink.

Recently had an incident with someone I know who had exactly that happen.

I would never buy the ebay postage through Packlink it is much better to buy yourself online or at the post office. 

Just been an announcement that customers wil soon be able to send Evri or DPD parcels through the POst office.

We are just ordinary members trying to help.
Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

@redwick1 wrote:

Not many will see your post on here as it is just a few members visit and usually when they have  a problem

For discussions it may be better to put your post on the Discussion thread at the top of the page

I agree with you entirely the false claims from Packlink.

Recently had an incident with someone I know who had exactly that happen.

I would never buy the ebay postage through Packlink it is much better to buy yourself online or at the post office. 

Just been an announcement that customers wil soon be able to send Evri or DPD parcels through the POst office.

Thanks, I've already made a version of this in Seller Central which has been viewed by others, hopefully this gets the point across! See, I remember all of the issues people have been having with P_acklink, and was astonished that Packlink has been integrated into eBay even further than it was previously, whereas what needs to happen is Packlink going elsewhere and eBay using a more reputable 3rd party, or even hosting courier options themselves. They've done it with Royal Mail labels, why can't they do it with courier labels?

The shocking thing (IMO) is that where previously any false surcharges could be disputed via your payment provider, now eBay will just let them take it from your available funds or bank account! The only way to get these back would be to contact eBay customer services, providing definitive proof your item was underweight (which would mean photographing every parcel sent - this may not be feasible if you're sending lots of parcels) or, if that fell on deaf ears, court action - which eBay would certainly not like.

Hence the emphasis to use other, more reliable and more trustworthy means of sending your parcels out!

Also, our Post Office recently became an Evri drop off point, a few weeks before this announcement. At least it will mean those who know what they're doing will no longer be upsold "Tracked and Signed" (Special Delivery) for their eBay parcels when a basic service with tracking, showing when the item is delivered, will do the same job (of winning an eBay INR case when the tracking proves delivery) at a fraction of the cost.

Tracked 48 (or 24) is also available from online on eBay or RM's own website at a reasonable price and will also do the job (T24/T48 cannot be bought at a PO).

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

The information on your post is appreciated and most of us would agree with it but as already said there are not many people on these boards to read you post.

Members only come on here when they have a problem they need help with.

We are just ordinary members trying to help.
Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Thanks I stopped using paclink because of the shenanigans they let the delivery partner's get up to.

I pay more now just not to deal with them.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

I get about one of these false surcharges per month with Evri / Packlink. I always get them cancelled before they make the actual charge though. It's really annoying as they never have any evidence and just rely on customers rolling over.

Today the ability to print Evri labels from Packlink is down with no sign of when it will return. The whole service is so flakey in general

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

This has just happened to me, effectively wiping out most of my profit. Shame on you Ebay! I won't be using Evri again. No trust there at all.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

A bit late as just seen this now but I was having 4-5 lots of overweight fees plus charges added on top every week for months when I was using evri so I started entering my size & weight manually when purchasing a label, writing size & weight on each parcel then taking photos to prove both before posting out. They were not just charging the alleged difference in size or weight, they were adding an extra charge on top. Packlink also now request 3 photos of your parcel including the contents inside, when you claim for damages? Again to make more money & make it more difficult to make a claim & avoid paying out. By chance all my local evri parcel shops suddenly closed down so I had to switch to yodel who are now way cheaper so I'm not sure if it was an evri thing or packlink but not happened since... So far,  but seller fees are now going up again. Way too greedy.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Tracked 48 (or 24) is also available from online on eBay or RM's own website at a reasonable price and will also do the job (T24/T48 cannot be bought at a PO).

I may have overheard incorrectly as I just drop off and dissappear before people shout at me for queue jumping but Im sure I heard one of the staff members say that T24/T48 was coming to Post Office in the next few weeks.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent