Royal Mail 250-500 gm Large Letter option not available in ebay postage options.

Royal Mail 250-500 gm option appears to be not available in ebay postage options in Second Class Large Letter rate, I'm sure that Royal Mail still offer this, but ebay selector only shows 250-750 with a fair bit higher cost for something in the 250-500gm range which applies to some items I send out.

Has anybody else noticed this?

I do like the ebay postage for RM, as I can easily print ready made formatted label for my hot label printer.  Whereas buying direct from RM, requires some jiggery-pokery as it is delivered in an A4  PDF format which not suitable for the label printer. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Royal Mail 250-500 gm Large Letter option not available in ebay postage options.

If the postage options that eBay offer do not suit you and you find it awkward to purchase and print labels direct from Royal Mail's website then perhaps the following workaround option would work for you:

First of all, decide on how much you want for the item, then add on a bit more to compensate for the amount that eBay will take off in fees, as well as adding the postage costs onto the asking price.  Once you have done that list the item with free postage.  That way the buyer cannot complain about the postage costs as the question "How reasonable were the postage costs?" will not appear on the buyer's feedback page when he/she comes to leave feedback for you.  In addition to that you'll also get an automatic five stars for postage costs from eBay, just for listing the item with free postage.

When it comes to posting the item after the buyer has made payment go down to the Post Office and purchase the postage label in person.  All you need to do then is to stick the postage label on the parcel and post it to the buyer.  So long as you use a tracked postage method and upload the tracking number as soon as possible after posting the item the buyer and eBay will both be aware that the item has been despatched, and once the buyer receives and signs for the item the presence of a signature proving delivery of the item should help to bolster your case against the buyer in the event that he/she makes false Item Not Received allegations against you in the hope that eBay will refund all of the money paid.  Most buyers are decent, honest people but it certainly pays to protect yourself against the minority who are just out to screw you over.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Sorry, but that doesn't answer my question at all. It looks like a cut n paste job to me from something quite different from the question.

Thanks anyway.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Looking at Large Letters on the RM Click & Drop site. 

Large Letter 2nd Class

1 - 100gm = £1.55

101 - 250gm = £2.30

251 - 750gm (maximum weight for large letter) = £2.60

I can print without issue to a similar 6x4 label printer from the RM site so your settings may need checking.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Thanks, its been a while since I looked at using RM website for postage labels,  but I didn't remember seeing an option other than to 'download' an A4 PDF label, the ebay sytem automatically configures for my 6x4 printer and prints direct from the web-page which is awsome, but as I said without that intermediate weight option.

Ebay changed this action recently, before that you could input weight and select any of the RM postage services, now you only get like "shoebox" option etc.   Progress I guess!

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

In addition to above....

I have looked at RM online price guide (pdf) and it clearly has option
Large Letter

100g  £1.95      second £1.55

250g £2.60    second  £2.30  *********
500g £3.20    second £2.60

However if you try to purchase a label using their system it only shows the 250-750gm option at £2.60 like you mentioned

So it does seem to be a RM issue, but even more confused now about 'online' prices in this respect. 

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got Postage related questions? Start here: