New Royal Mail Postage Costs

Hi, I normally use signed for at my local post office. I am thinking of changing to Tracked 48 from next week as the prices seem better. It says you can do this now from a post office but my post office still doesn't know anything about the changes....has anyone else found this? TIA

Message 1 of 32
See Most Recent
31 REPLIES 31

This is somewhat a bit of a presumption so don't hold me to this until next Tuesday when I will get clarification!

We believe we will use the white labels that we currently use for returns. Which put the barcode etc on the labels.  I would think that you will need to place the address on the parcel as normal eg handwritten and or the little print out of post to that we cut out from the eBay packing slips and at the post office the data would then be manually entered. Eg the address etc for the label. The other scenario is that the post office label will just have the barcode etc on it. 

I will know more on Tuesday and will post on here to confirm how it's going to work.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 21 of 32
See Most Recent

Buy tracked postage on eBay or royal Mail and take the QR code to the post office if you don't have a printer or get your postie to collect and bring you a label. It's worth it for the peace of mind that tracking provides. I'm selling my old stamps off as they are a thing of the past unfortunately 

Message 22 of 32
See Most Recent

I've just gone to post 2 items with the new tracked service and it's not on post office counters system. 

The price increases are though. 

Counter staff said it may come through in a few days. Wonderful I've just had to pay more for a less compensation.  Signed for has now dropped to £20 from £50.

Not a happy bunny.

Message 23 of 32
See Most Recent

Just had the same issue as above, the new Tracked 24/48 at Post Offices is not on their systems yet, and looking further into this, I saw a blog in which it was mentioned that negotiations between Royal Mail and the Post Office had broken down with reference to profit share for the service.  Apparently Post Offices where alerted to this on the 28th March.

This is unbelievable !,  you would have thought that such things would have been signed and sealed BEFORE Royal Mail printed the new prices/service guides months ago.  But no, this is the shambles that is Royal Mail AND the Post Office...

Luckily I hadn't updated listings with the new service and most of my stuff goes 2nd Large Letter and the price as it happens dropped from £2.40 to £2.10 today, so not all bad news I suppose.

Message 24 of 32
See Most Recent

"I'm selling my old stamps off as they are a thing of the past unfortunately "

You're right but it won't stop Royal Mail from issuing them as a form of compensation for lost parcels.

Message 25 of 32
See Most Recent

Post offices were not informed about the changes, had no idea the day before Easter and ... surprise, surprise, the Tracked 24/48 service was not available today (2nd April) and they do not know when it will be available as they were not even informed about any delay by Royal Mail.

In the meantime, compensation rates for signed-for have been dropped from £50 to £20, which means that anything worth more than £20 would technically have to be sent by Special Delivery until the new service becomes available, whenever this may be. And not a word from Royal Mail....

What a shambles!

Message 26 of 32
See Most Recent

Same happened to me! Went to the post office today and advised that there is some kind of blip with the new tracking system and you can't actually buy that service at the post office counters yet. So frustrating!  

I feel like having a rant about Broken Britain!!

Message 27 of 32
See Most Recent

Local post office accepted tracked 48 no problem booked through P2G.

Other than a few large letter products where I am finishing off my stamps, 

have changed everything other than large courier items to RM tracked from signed for.

Think RM signed for has had its day, other than SD

Astronomy is looking up
Message 28 of 32
See Most Recent

Hi @messier44000 I'm not familiar with P2G - please could you advise what this is? Thank you.

Message 29 of 32
See Most Recent

Google Parcel2go . com

Astronomy is looking up
Message 30 of 32
See Most Recent

Hi, just wondering how many people are still not able to send Tracked 48 from a Post Office....I tried yesterday at my post office and they weren't able to do it still. Has anyone been able to do this from a post office. 

Message 31 of 32
See Most Recent

Until it's on the PO computer systems no-one will be able to buy it at a PO.

It should have been ready to go on the 2nd, but it turned out to be a Royal Fail....

I have been told by PO staff they are hoping it will be ready sometime next week, but I'll believe it when I see it.

In the meantime, we are all now paying more money for their Signed For service that has less compensation.

What a shambles.

Message 32 of 32
See Most Recent
Got Postage related questions? Start here: