Courier damaged item

I sold a bundle on here and ensured it was wrapped up very securely before putting in the box which again was made extremely secure and I wrote Fragile all over the box. It arrived at the buyers home smashed to pieces. I contacted Yodel who told me that I have to go through ebay as the label is purchased via them. I can not find any way to contact them. I want to refund the buyer but I also need to get the courier problem resolved as it is unfair that I will be left out of pocket. I made a massive point of ensuring these items were packed securely and still this happens. How do I contact ebay? 

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Courier damaged item

As items arrived broken the first thing you should be doing is refunding your buyer.

A refund is not dependant on any compensation you might receive.

Your buyer can open a claim for not as described anyway ,best to avoid that situation.

Sounds like you bought the postage "through" Ebay and not directly from Ebay as they don't sell postage.

It might have been via Packlink/Yodel who are notorious for trying to wriggle out of paying out on any claim.

Were the items on their exemption list ?.

See :- https://support.packlink.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208328585-Prohibited-items-and-no-compensation-items

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Courier damaged item

Here's a link to eBay's packlink damage or loss claim page.

https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014270619-EasyTicket# 

You only have 30 days from when the item was dropped off or collected to start a claim.

But as stated previously they have a long non compensation list.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Courier damaged item

Sorry to hear of your problems. So sad when, as a buyer, it's always been the item I want, never any refund or compensation for loss/damage.

Gone are the days when you could, mostly, hope a courier would handle things carefully. There's deterioration, whether due to time-pressure, low pay or an increasing "I don't care" attitude, or a mix. And they run you around to try and put customers off seeking redress.

Writing "FRAGILE" on a package, even all over it, won't necessarily help. At the courier firm those who handle the item won't see it unless they're close up. I noticed this clearly myself in 2021 when I was boxing items for a relative's house moving or clearance: the movers/clearers had to be able to see clearly the name label and any Fragile label from a distance of at least 20 feet.

Yours won't be the only parcel labelled Fragile, so how much do they care? I've heard (from posties; I know three) of sorting office staff (decades ago though) chilling out at the end of a shift by playing football with some of the small parcels.

I've also seen video footage showing parcel handlers standing feet away from a lorry, hurling the parcels into it, to reach as far back into the lorry as possible but yet not hit the two people inside it stacking the items to make as much efficient use of space as possible. So every parcel hit the floor, probably with force. Having briefly worked (in an office supporting) a warehouse operation, I knew this to be not uncommon. You don't always have lifting equipment one per lorry.

If there's any risk of your item breaking by being dropped, the courier would probably cover themselves and try to avoid any liability by saying you hadn't packaged it properly.

It's a good idea to take extra care that a future item is protected against the shock of being dropped. Assume the worst so package it inside and out so there's absolutely no ullage. Package it far more than you think is sufficient and then some.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Courier damaged item

If it was your piggin figures I think they will be non compensation items.

Something like that I'd send by Royal Mail then at least you'd get a book of stamps as compensation.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got Postage related questions? Start here: