Payment hold exemption when using eBay labels

Hi all,

I'm a pretty new seller so currenly have any payments on hold which I fully understand and accept, however an agent on eBay's live chat told me today that if I purchase postage directly using eBay labels then funds will be automatically released 24 hours after the item is delivered. 

I really didn't think this sounded right as the agent had previously given me a long explanation of the reason for holds.......legal obligations, etc, etc, so I was a bit bemused when effectviely the advised the hold doesn't apply if I use eBay labels!

The specific wording from the transcript is as follows:

Your funds would typically be released 14 days after the sale date, however we would encourage you to use our eBay labels, as delivery confirmation through eBay labels will result in an automatic release 24 hours from date of delivery.

Can anyone confirm if the above is actually true from experience? The item I sold was £400 so I understand the reason for longer hold.......it just frustrates me that I could potentially have avoided the hold. I purchased Special Delivery by 1pm direct from Royal Mail, and I fail to see what the difference would be in terms of buyer protection if I purchased this via eBay labels!!!

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

CS often don't give correct or accurate advice.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to the question "when will my funds be released".

From what iv'e read the higher the value the longer the wait may be.

It also depends heavily on whether or not you have set up managed payments correctly and fully.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Hi docum_3429, thanks for your post.

There are different types of transaction holds. Sometimes, your holds could be released in 14 days, or sometimes they may be held for full 30 days and be automatically released after the 30 days. If you are a new seller or you have started selling after a while, these holds will no longer apply to you eventually when you build up enough selling history again.

I wouldn't be able to confirm this, but the agent in question was probably trying to provide you with good selling practices that help with transaction holds. For example, dispatching your items in time, providing tracking numbers, etc, but this doesn't necessarily mean that your funds won't be held or released straight away as this depends on the type of hold. For further information, you can always see our policy in full here and there you can also see the type of hold applied to your funds.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Buying eBay labels doesn't change the holds, but it might allow you to use your eBay funds when paying for the postage rather than laying it out.

Sometimes it's a bit cheaper as well but not always.

If something goes wrong with the delivery it's probably better not to have to deal with Packlink in addition to a courier.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent