fraudulent listing that eBay says is fine

eBay item number

The seller's listing states condition is "Opened – never used"
Description states "Great used Condition"

One of these cannot be correct - there is a clear contradiction with this listing.
I flagged to eBay ansd its response was:-

"What happened:
We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence.

If you reported content that isn’t listed below, we’ll send a separate email once we’ve made a decision. 

How can such a platform be trusted if it cannot see there is clear contradiction as stated
Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

plum993
Experienced Mentor

I'm afraid you have been subjected to AI who either needs to visit Specsavers,or go on an ebay policy course 😉

Plenty of listings that are reported go without action.

I assume you haven't bought from this seller!

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Thank you, plum993.

But, what you're saying is that eBay just allows fraudulent listings without adequately checking them and that no fraud is being carried out on its platform?! Complete lack of legal due diligence.

That is nothing short of scandalous, if so;  there should be some human element to alert this AI BS oversight to its failure to set the Buyer's listing straight and that follows the rules of law for the UK jurisdiction.

I may try the UK police and alert them to this online fraud platform called eBay.

We cannot just tolerate this, right? Do we not feel the platforma dn its users deserve better than this treatment?

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

No,I didn't say ebay allow fraudulent listings as they don't,but as they can't police the whole site they rely on members to report listing breaches,and then it's either an ebay agent or AI that looks into the reports and make the decision as to whether a listing complies or not and gets action taken

The person reporting may be notified by ebay that they will look into a report,and then will notify the person to let them know if the report was valid or not.

Now some listing are successfully removed,or have account action taken,it's a case of luck of the draw though.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

It is obviously incorrect, but I think you are making too much of this, one condition is in the sellers own words, the other is because he has ticked the wrong box when listing.

The best thing to do is politely point out to the seller the contradiction and let seller correct.

The I in AI may stand for Intelligence, but it does not mean it understands anything.

Bearing in mind the ebay 30 day money back guarantee, the only person who can lose here is the seller.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

How can such a platform be trusted

eBay makes it clear that listings are the entire responsibility of the seller. They even warn buyers that "eBay does not guarantee the existence, quality, safety or legality of items advertised, or the truth or accuracy of descriptions".

In other words, when buying from unknown sellers on eBay it's always possible that items won't be correctly or truthfully described - or that they may not even exist. (Plenty of buyers have been conned into paying thousands of pounds for motor vehicles that didn't exist, except as a photo of someone else's vehicle.)

So eBay isn't about trust. Or like the shops. It's about reading and understanding the user agreement, which too few members bother to do.

The important point is that eBay provides buyers with a strong money back guarantee if an item doesn't match the description. But again buyers need to read the conditions, time limits and exclusions - including motor vehicles!

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent