Rating an item for feedback

eBay has introduced a compulsory field "How would you rate this item", stars 1 to 5, before I can leave feedback for an item purchased.

I would like to leave feedback for the purchase, but I am not prepared to rate a brand new item - I want to have used it for a good while before I can rate it. Perhaps it'll break after a couple of weeks.

So I can't keave feedback. Sorry sellers.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

tobiasd4
Experienced Mentor

Feedback is voluntary. 

You have 60 days to leave it anyway, but only 30 days to open ebay case.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

I realise it's voluntary, but I would like to leave feedback about the buying experience. I don't though want to leave it about the item itself, but eBay won't allow this - it insists I do both. So I will do neither.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

I think you are referring to the product review, again voluntary. 

Feedback is about the seller, different to item review. 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

No, I am not.  I buy an item. After it arrives I go to "My eBay / Purchase history", find the item listed there, and click the "Leave feedback" button.

Here I can choose "How was your experience?" (Positive, Neutral, Negative - though I have towa it 7 days if neutral or negative), and below that is the new "How would you rate this item?". Until I select an option for this (1 star to 5 stars), the "Leave feedback" button at the bottom is grayed out and I cannot submit my feedback.

This is a new thing. It means I can no longer leave feedback on the buying experience without also leaving it for the item itself. But I don't want to rate a brand new item, as I can't evaluate it until I have used it for a good while.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

I agree,  you cannot rate an item if still brand new and you haven't had time to use it.

eBay give a generous 60 days in which to leave feedback, and in the feedback large box for your view on the overall transaction , I believe it's around 800 characters you can now use,  so plenty of room to leave what you wish to say,  in the time you wish to say it.

@wittyandmemorable 

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

It's true I can wait, but a) even 60 days isn't necessarily enough time to evaluate some products - how something lasts over time can be an important aspect; and b) while waiting so long I have to put up with email reminders from sellers asking me to 'please leave feedback'.

Basically the buying experience (was is dispatched promptly, wa the seller helpful re queries etc), and rating an item are two separate things, and perhaps eBay should give us the option to do both separately.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent