The MENOPAUSE

Four years ago I stopped having my periods....within about six months I started getting hot flushes - sometimes 10 or more a day....not had a hot flush for about six months now. Does this mean I have gone through the menopause. I could go down to see the Dr but never keen to go when I am not really ill. Just a general question really. Thanks 🙂

Remember - it takes 17 muscles to smile and 44 muscles to frown - SO KEEP SMILING 🙂
Message 1 of 32
See Most Recent
31 REPLIES 31

The MENOPAUSE

Don't they say after a year of no periods that's it?  I'm sure you'll find answers on Google. Woman Happy

Message 2 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

Does your surgery have a well woman clinic where you can have a simple check over and get some advice?

The menopause doesn't usually just 'end' - it's a slow progress and your body could have a few 'rumbles' for a couple of years yet.

You could find that some supplments if you take them cause your body to have a mini restart.  Stress too can have odd effects.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 3 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

Im in the peri menopause. You have to go a year without periods. mine have been appearing then i dont have one for 8 months ( was the longest). They come at all different times. i have heard at the worst this can go on for 10 years until they finally stop. I was having migraines and bad flushes , loads in a day like you. Now im on The Amitryptyline it got so bad.

When this all started i went to the doctors and they give you a test to see if your hormones are high or out of kilter so to speak. She then told me i was in the peri menopause. So i would go and have a hormone level test. There are other things it could be but they will sort you out.

Your not alone so dont think you are, you will get people supporting you on here. Hugs ((())).

heart

Message 4 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

Forgot to say the symptoms also come and go. You can think you feel ok and it will stop but it normally returns. Sorry. You will get through it. Dont worry.

heart

Message 5 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

When I was 52, the GP did blood tests to see what was going on; when I got the results and he told me my ovaries were "shutting down," I felt like crying! Even though I have not had children, there was something so final about him saying that. I've had hot flushes ever since, 6 years, and I'm told they can go on well into your 60's. The "no periods for a year" thing is supposed to mean that if you haven't had one for a year, you are no longer at risk of getting pregnant and it should be ok to stop using contraception.

Message 6 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

Happening to me at the moment, 8 months without a period then the hot flushes, then when they stop the periods come back for a couple of months then stop then the hot flushes again, this has been going on for 2 and a half years so far, I am in the hot flushes stage at the moment, everything else is fine, but you just get so darned hot, the night sweats are the worst. Doctor gave me HRT without doing the blood test, but I haven't taken them I was a bit wary of the side effects. I don't have any other problems though like mood swings, I asked my mother for advise and she said her periods just stopped and that was it she had not hot flushes or mood swings or anything.

You are definitely not alone tintin so if you need to talk there are lots of us who will listen, I did put up a post about natural remedies for the hot flushes quite a few posts with ideas if that helps.

Message 7 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

i will join the club as well very early in my menopause and no periods since april i had a few weeks of hot flushes at the start but they have disapeared so now nothing just normal me(if thats possible)i did talk to doc about hrt etc but there were a lot of side effects that i did not want on top of my ME so unless i get desperate i will just carry on as normal.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 8 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

I stopped having periods about 8 or 9 years ago.  I still get hot flushes but there are times they are worse than others.  As there is a history of breast cancer in my family, I can't use HRT so I just tend to put up with it.

Message 9 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

And I can't have HRT because of other health issues. By the way, I think it's TWO years without a period before you can stop using contraception, better get that right! Sorry about that.

Message 10 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

@carolyorkie2010 wrote:

And I can't have HRT because of other health issues. By the way, I think it's TWO years without a period before you can stop using contraception, better get that right! Sorry about that.

if i remember it's 2 years if under 50 and 1 year if over

Message 11 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

Hot flushes seem to last for ever.  Must admit to being a bit miffed about the meno pause.  After having OH on steroids, an Asperger son and a teenage daughter from **** I was actually looking forward to getting my own back during the menopause and all I got was hot flushes and no mood swings. LOL.

Message 12 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

Its funny ( well not funny) how some women dont get anything just the periods stop , just like that. I had another head yesterday and was really sick last night. There not as bad though as im on medication but i got really depressed yesterday and was crying my eyes out. Then i was watching television and that started me bawling again. Terrible!!!!. This morning im fine (ish). I just wish it did not affect me like this. I get emotional and anxious as it is. I actually had a period all week last week but only light. Arrrrrgghhhh i dont know. Its HORRIBLE.

Still love to everyone, we will suffer it together ladies yes??.

Cat FrustratedWoman Happy

Message 13 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

Yes Rose, I am one of them.  The only way I knew I was going through the menopause was my periods stopping

No sweats, flushes or anything.

It was the same with my mother, so probably runs in families.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

My mother didn't have hot flushes but I have,  but I don't have mood swings or headaches just the darned flushes.

Message 15 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

Hysterectomy put an end to my periods, thank goodness.  I was 46, & had finally bled for 38 weeks, having tried everything then available to sort out my difficulties.  That was a tough old time

Since then (because I had my ovaries out too - they were dodgy) I have been on hrt implants

It was a hard decision, but with a growing family & mental health issues going on, I decided that I'd opt for quality of life

I have since come to recognise that my own Mum's 'craziness' was actually a really sad sad thing & how she must have suffered 😞

I consider myself fortunate

My girls are too - they are far better able to access help these days

Message 16 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

my periods stopped in 2006 I was 51. Had a wee show in 2010 when they sent me for a biopsy (???) and an ultrasound. Nothing wrong that a D&C didn't cure. I haven't had a period since, only get a wee hot flush sometimes in the night, (OH seems to be getting them for me! bless)

My mother used to get real doozies, but I can't say I ever have had a real hot one thank goodness I hate being hot! no other symptoms. I have no idea if I'm through it or not.

Photobucket

Message 17 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

I think I've started mine too. I have irregular periods and have had flushes and aching joints, but I seem to be having a break from them for the last few weeks Smiley Happy

Now I am short tempered! Hope it goes soon. Since starting the flushes I do seem to have the symptoms of my period coming for at least 2 weeks before, so maybe another is on the way........if so the sooner the better Smiley Happy

But on the whole I can't really complain Cat LOL

Message 18 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

I was really lucky right the way through.  I knew when my periods would come, practically to the hour.  First day medium, second day light, third day gone.  At 45 they stopped, just like that.  And that was that.  The odd hot flush for a few months but otherwise nothing. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 32
See Most Recent

The MENOPAUSE

My situation seems to be very similar to yours CG. No periods for four years now and ages since a hot flush. I worked with one lady who really struggled with hers. I remember her once having a hot flush in the middle of winter but she was so hot she went outside and rubbed snow all over her arms to try and cool her down. Problem is when the flushes stop....you tend to get very cold as well.

Here's hoping that mine is over and done with now. Cant ask my mum about hers as she is no longer with us but I cant remember her having problems.

Remember - it takes 17 muscles to smile and 44 muscles to frown - SO KEEP SMILING 🙂
Message 20 of 32
See Most Recent