*Heads-Up* Re: CCleaner Boot Issues in W7

Hi guys LTNS

Just a quick heads-up regarding my recent nightmare with CCleaner.

Out of the blue, my laptop (Windows 7) stopped loading on power up - it just froze on the boot screen and wouldn't go any further.

Pressing F3 for recovery and then exit, eventually got windows to load after a looooooong wait but I had to repeat this blooming rigmarole every time I shut down or when lappie went to sleep.

After a lot of hair pulling, swearing and other trials and errors, I eventually deduced that it was the most recent version of CCleaner that was causing the issue. The problem was resolved as soon as I uninstalled it.

Hopefully my tale of woe will help anyone else who's having the same issues and if anyone can recommend a decent alternative to CCleaner that would great too x

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

I don't used CCleaner on this Win 10 machine but after reading the following link I think I'll be removing it from the Win 7 computer:-

https://www.howtogeek.com/361112/heres-what-you-should-use-instead-of-ccleaner/

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

Interesting read, CeeDee thanks.

I must admit I've been falling out of love with CCleaner for a little while now, which is a shame because it used to be a useful bit of software. Oh well...

Hope you're keeping well x

Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

I woke up this morning so it must be a good day but I'm not as good as I'd like.

While looking for alternatives for CCleaner I found this page:-

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-free-alternatives-to-ccleaner

Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

It doesn’t help that the weather’s so dull and miserable. Roll on spring eh x

Some good alternatives on that list. I might give Glary Utilities a try. It’s a name I recognise from the past. Thanks x
Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

Hiya, how's you? It was dull and dark this morning then the sky cleared and the sun came out, it's lovely now.

Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

Yes it is looking brighter today. We’ve had 2 days of 40ft waves (apparently) and flooding, it’s been vile.

I’m fine. Had another MOT recently and still cancer free - 4 years now and counting lol
Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

Well the nice day went and just as I was going out, it rained!

40 foot waves? You're by the sea then?

That's good, each day's a good day if you wake up I say. My ticker seems OK at the mo but I've twisted my knee.. OW.

Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

Lol you sound like my sister in law her new life mantra is ‘keep breathing’ laughing

Hope your knee sorts itself out.  

PS: Laptop is still playing up grr I thought I’d fixed it. The issue is sporadic now instead of constant but of course it always happens when I’m in a rush. I’m also getting a warning box coming up saying something about a USB driver not working and to remove the device but I haven’t got any devices attached? I’ll fiddle about with it a bit more before I have to admit defeat and take it to the repair shop.  

Enjoy your day x

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

Just remember this...... there's LOADS of people who didn't wake up that would just LOVE to see the glooomy, dismal days again.

Long recovery time.

Goodness, the repair shop...... often when stumped it's "Oh we did a reinstall of Windows......"

Live long and prosper.

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

Wise words x

A factory reset is a possibility I guess but the OS is so old now, it will take forever waiting for all the updates to be installed. I've already done one reset a few years ago.

Windows loaded perfectly today, yesterday it didn't want to know. I bet it's something really simple. Oh well...

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

Can't you do a re-set and just do the updates manually? ie, picking out the security ones first and a few at a time? There's a "repair" function too isn't there?

Live long and prosper.

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

If you've done a re-set before, you must have a disc?:-

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-perform-a-startup-repair-in-windows-7-2626170

Live long and prosper.

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

That's a great link CeeDee thanks! 

When I did the factory reset a few years ago I did it by tapping F8 or something during start up because I couldn't find the disc.

However, I've found the disc now and there is an option to do a startup repair but I'm a bit nervous about doing it myself which is why I'm considering taking it to a repair shop.

I attempted to do a system restore when the problems first started but windows had to restart during the restore and of course, mine wouldn't restart. It just froze on the boot screen again so the system restore was aborted.

Your link says that windows will restart several times during the repair process and I'm worried that the same thing will happen and it might make my problems even worse. I really don't know what to do. 

I'm not that technically minded when it comes to this kind of stuff eek!

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

I see you points there. If you do take it to a repair shop it might be an idea to put all you say in writing so 1/ you don't forget anything and 2/ so they don't forget either!

Live long and prosper.

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

Good plan, I’ll let you know how it goes x
Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

I'll look forward to hearing how you get on. Good luck.

Live long and prosper.

Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

Quick update and I didn't need to do anything in the end.

The issue seems to have resolved itself. There's been quite a few Windows updates lately and somewhere along the line, it's fixed my problems which incidentally began following a big update so I'm guessing that must have been the cause not CCleaner as I first thought.

Anyway @cee-dee hope you had a lovely Christmas and here's wishing you good health, wealth and happiness in 2019 x 

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

Hiya, those Windows updates can be a real pain at times?

Glad you're all OK now anyway. 

Not so sure about the "health" angle, staggering along anyway 🙂

Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent