eBay Auctions

Just participated in my first Auction on ebay. The amount shown for the winning & second bids (£16.19 & £15.19) looks like they might have included the p&p of £4.69 (e.g. £11.50 + £4.69 for the winner). Is this how eBay auctions work i.e. are the bid prices shown interpreted as including the p&p cost: my bid assumed I would pay the p&p in addition to my bid. So did the winner pay £20.88 in all?

Also the bid history (attached) showed higher bids occuring a few seconds BEFORE the bid they overtook; and the winning bid was timed at 3 seconds over the advertised time at which the Auction was to end (11:48). Could someone please explain WIHIH ?!

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eBay Auctions

It's just a glitch with the clock, as servers are located all over the world 

Earlier bids take prescence over later bids (eg if the amount bid is the same amount) and eBay will bid up to the bidders maximum proxy bid

eBay works via proxy bidding eg the bidder places a bid of £100 for a 99p item, and eBay starts the bidding at 99p and then places bids at the set increments to outbid anyone who bids after the first bid is placed. Eg if the first bidder bids £100 and the next bidder only bids £20 then bidder 1 will win at £21, and won't be pushed up to their £100 proxy bid. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

eBay Auctions

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Bidding amount is only for the item and once won the P&P in the listing is in additional to the winning bid amount.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

eBay Auctions

Unless you listed "post free" [that is really "post included"] the price shown as the bid and final bid does not include post. 

The bidders are simply using an "odd" amount £15.19 for example so as to be higher than any one who bids £15.00.  At the end of the auction the total will be the £15.19 + your quoted postage and you will be paid less eBay's fees [12.8% + 30p]

@dnhdb.is1me5j 

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

eBay Auctions

Thnks for the explanation re prices. Do you hve anything to say about my observations regrding the times the bids were logged ?

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

eBay Auctions

It's just a glitch with the clock, as servers are located all over the world 

Earlier bids take prescence over later bids (eg if the amount bid is the same amount) and eBay will bid up to the bidders maximum proxy bid

eBay works via proxy bidding eg the bidder places a bid of £100 for a 99p item, and eBay starts the bidding at 99p and then places bids at the set increments to outbid anyone who bids after the first bid is placed. Eg if the first bidder bids £100 and the next bidder only bids £20 then bidder 1 will win at £21, and won't be pushed up to their £100 proxy bid. 

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: