Ebay gave seller my address and phone number?

I purchased an item from a seller with a couple of thousand positive feedback. I heard nothing so started messaging them and heard nothing. 

About a week later, I received a message from the seller on my mobile. They said they'd been locked out of their account, and Ebay had given them my telephone number and address so they could post the item to me.

Does this sound plausible, or should I be worried? I don't have the item yet.

I don't want to upset the seller though if they're having problems. 

Any advice appreciated. It's just it's not that far off the 30 day limit for reporting an item not recieved. 

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In all honesty I'd treat this with a lot of caution. If you bought and paid for an item eBay would give the seller your address (obviously) and, possibly, your phone number (I've had deliveries previously with my name, address and phone number showing on the address label).

Frankly, the seller should have sent the item by now. Yes, it's plausible that they could have had their account locked by eBay (for any number of reasons) but I would be a little suspicious of a seller calling me to tell me that and that eBay had given them your details so they could post the item to you. They don't need to call you - they just need to post the item.

The cynical me says the seller is playing for time to get you over the 30-day limit for opening an INR case. If the Estimated Delivery Date has passed open a case NOW. And don't respond to any messages from the seller outside the case: play it by the book or you might end up with no item and no refund.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

In all honesty I'd treat this with a lot of caution. If you bought and paid for an item eBay would give the seller your address (obviously) and, possibly, your phone number (I've had deliveries previously with my name, address and phone number showing on the address label).

Frankly, the seller should have sent the item by now. Yes, it's plausible that they could have had their account locked by eBay (for any number of reasons) but I would be a little suspicious of a seller calling me to tell me that and that eBay had given them your details so they could post the item to you. They don't need to call you - they just need to post the item.

The cynical me says the seller is playing for time to get you over the 30-day limit for opening an INR case. If the Estimated Delivery Date has passed open a case NOW. And don't respond to any messages from the seller outside the case: play it by the book or you might end up with no item and no refund.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Thanks. Yes, something just doesn't feel right about this. 

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Your seller hasn't specifically asked eBay for your contact details,  all sellers are shown buyers full contact details after a purchase is made and paid for.

That is,  further details on order details show ...  address,  email and mobile phone information are shown.

@addyeddy 

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

No, he says he had no access to his account at all, so could not see any details whatsoever. 

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

As the seller says Ebay gave him your address and phone number, there is no reason why the item shouldn't be on its way to you.

Any reasonable seller would use an express service to get the item to you as soon as possible after a delay.

So, open an item not received case today.

If the item arrives, you can close the case.

If the item does not arrive you have between 3 and 21 days to ask Ebay to step in and ensure you get a refund.

You can always text the seller and explain you have opened a case 'just to be on the safe side' but that you plan to close it as soon as the item arrives.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: