Fridge Freezer Return - Please help!!!

I bought a Smeg Fridge Freezer of someone. It was collection only. I picked it up in a van, took it home and I plugged it in after a few days. I doesnt work at all! 

The item was marked as 'Used' which is described as "fully functional".  In the items "full description" the seller wrote "It may need some attention as its not getting that cold recently". Which is playing it down massivley.

I didnt see this until after. But regardless, that information should be in the Title.

She doesnt expect refunds so I opened a case. I won the case and can be refunded! Which is great, but how can I SEND tracked fridge? If I use I private courier it will cost more than the fridge. PLEASE HELP.

The seller has threatened to call the police if I leave it outside her house.

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The seller must provide a tracked return label to send the fridge back

Do not just take it back as you have no proof of return

The seller must refund you in full (without return) OR provide a pre-paid return label

If they have not provided a label within 3 days, escalate the case  (click Ask eBay to Step In) and you will be refunded without return or eBay will issue a return label at the sellers expense

The fact you collected, makes no difference, seller is still responsible for return postage costs 

Your local council will collect it from the kerbside for a small fee if you contact them once you have been refunded (if the seller doesnt want it back). It is not up to you to return it though, they have to collect it or pay someone to collect it from you. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Collection items are no different to posted ones for money back guarantee purposes.   The seller has to arrange to get the fridge back but in a way that gives you tracked evidence,  unless they refund first.  If they refund first it doesn't matter how it's returned.

You need to tell eBay that the seller has not made any arrangements to get it back.

It's not a police matter.

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

You'll have to do a bit of searching in previous posts but a few weeks (maybe a month) ago the subject of returning collection-only items was raised in the eBay Community Team Weekly Chat, which is held between 2 and 3 pm every Wednesday.

The official response given by a member of the Community Team was that a Not As Described case can be opened by a buyer of a collection-only item and it is then up to the seller to arrange to have the item returned, not the buyer. I recall this response was met with with surprise by a few, including a Mentor, but apparently that's the official line.

I'll see if I can find the relevant Weekly Chat and I'll post a link if I find it.

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

Buyers are expected to read the full description.  She does warn of a possible fault. 

Normally the buyer simply sends you a "label" to return but - realistically - she presumably decided to simply refund [or was forced to do so by eBay] leaving you with the fridge [which is yours].  Whether or not she "accepts returns" is immaterial as she [and all sellers] must deal with goods not in accordance with description.  The way to deal with this is through the money back guarantee but - as here - large items do cause a great problem on eBay. 

You could perhaps check whether it is worth repair [it may simply need added coolant]. 

The problem remains though that eBay has closed the case and will not help with disposal of the item.  

Local council?  Repair cafe?  @cered_55 

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

If you opened a not as described claim and won the seller would have to issue a prepaid returns label at their cost.

Because of it's size this would be difficult.

If it were me i would request a "call back" from Ebay via the "help and contact" link at the bottom of most pages.

Best time to do this is just after 8am Mon to Fri or just after 9am weekends and Bank Holidays.

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

@cered_55  - I found it. Weekly Chat 31 January 2024:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Chat-with-the-eBay-Community/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Tea...

Posts 7, 14, 18, 24, 26 and 30 are most relevant to your issue. It's also worth noting that Post 31 does mention that buyers are excluded from the Money Back Guarantee if a courier was used to collect the item, though as you mention collecting the fridge-freezer in a van that exemption won't apply to you.

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

I read that o/p won the case and so it is closed.  Seller "should have sent a label" [but did not so eBay refunded?] Surely eBay will take no further part on the basis of "refund without return"'

@cered_55 

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

Have you changed the fuse, just to check it is not something as simple as that?

Is the dial turned all the way round to "defrost"? If so, the fridge won't get cold 

It's worth checking basic stuff before attempting to return the item at the sellers expense

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

The seller must provide a tracked return label to send the fridge back

Do not just take it back as you have no proof of return

The seller must refund you in full (without return) OR provide a pre-paid return label

If they have not provided a label within 3 days, escalate the case  (click Ask eBay to Step In) and you will be refunded without return or eBay will issue a return label at the sellers expense

The fact you collected, makes no difference, seller is still responsible for return postage costs 

Your local council will collect it from the kerbside for a small fee if you contact them once you have been refunded (if the seller doesnt want it back). It is not up to you to return it though, they have to collect it or pay someone to collect it from you. 

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Thank you!  Very helpful!

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

Thank you.

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

You're welcome, just wait until the option to "ask ebay to step in" appears, click it and let eBay know the seller has not sent a label.

eBay will either issue a label or will refund you in full. At that point (if they refund you without return), give the seller 7 days to collect the fridge and tell them if it is not collected dispose of it via your local council. Sounds like they scammed you into paying to dispose of their old fridge, but eBay will ensure they do not profit from such shenanigans. 

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

If you google, "Smeg fridge not cold" there are lots of fixes - you may find there is a common issue with the exact model that can be repaired.

You may be able to have a full refund, keep the fridge and get it repaired if economically viable. As above, repair cafes might be able to help, if you can transport it! 

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

Yes! I will do just that!!

Managed to speak to Ebay today and they have paused to case and the ball is in the sellers court now to produce a shipping lable. But I know she wont... So I will be issued a refund from ebay eventually. Thank god! 🙂

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Yes, I know she won't either, it would be uneconomical for her to do so.  Expect a stroppy seller on your case, cross that they didn't get away with charging you to dispose of their old broken fridge! You can reflect your opinion on how the transaction went via feedback...

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

I paid for someone to take a look at the Fridge today! He said its old (7yrs+) which apparntly for Smeg is OLD. Ive learned that they are built in obsolescence... He said the gas needs replacing but there isnt much point because it will keep on happening! Ive learnt a lot of lessons from this debarkle, i'll tell you that much!

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: