When to open "Item not received" case

Hi, I ordered an item last week that was dispatched on the 12th March via Royal Mail 48 hour tracked delivery.  It was due to arrive on the 14th.  It is now the 20th and I still haven't received it. 

I've never had to deal with this before, so I'm wondering: do I contact the seller first before opening an "Item not received" case, to see if they know what is going on?  Or do I just go ahead and open a case?  Or both at the same time? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 27
See Most Recent
26 REPLIES 26

Just open a case now.   The seller will still be able to contact you but if the problem is not resolved escalate it to ebay after 3 complete working days and you'll get a full refund.

Message 2 of 27
See Most Recent

Okay, thanks!  I just wondered if opening a case without contacting the seller first would be bad etiquette, but I guess not.  I'll get onto it. 

Message 3 of 27
See Most Recent

Steps to take 

1) Check the tracking to see where it is. 

2) Message the seller to see what's going on. 

3) if no response over next day or so open INR. 

There's a huge issue at the moment with eBay's estimated delivery dates being wrong and showing that stuff should be delivered much sooner than it can possibly be delivered. So maybe the seller only created the label on the 12th ready to dispatch a few days later (when creating the label and updating tracking on eBay it shows as dispatched). Then eBay's EDD showed as arriving by 14th. 

Message 4 of 27
See Most Recent

6 days have  passed the item's last estimated date for delivery,  you can open a case for item not received now,  cases can be opened  one day after that timeframe.

Personally,  I would message the seller and ask for any tracking number. Was this a Royal Mail delivered item?

Then, you can enter that number into RM's Track and Trace online to see perhaps if attemtped delivery was made it may well be in your sorting office ( not Post Office) awaiting collection or re posting.

However, if the seller does not reply,  or is making excuses do not time yourself out of opening that case you have 30 days to do so.  So, if you feel they are dallying,  just proceed this way :

Go right of the item purchased,  and from More Actions select....  I Have Not Received My Item.

If you are not fully refunded within 3 days,  you must escalate the case on day 4 or within 30 days from opening the case,  and eBay will step in and force the refund.

Do not close the case early for any excuse or promise the seller may give,  and do not forget to escalate.

@to_polk 

Message 5 of 27
See Most Recent

Okay, interesting, I did not know this.  I would check the tracking information if I had any - the only info I have is that it is via Royal Mail 48hr tracked.  In that case, I'll message the seller and give him a day or so to respond before opening an INR.  Thanks.  

Message 6 of 27
See Most Recent

It was a Royal Mail item, although I had no tracking information.  I know other people who have had items still undelivered past their due date, so it could be Royal Mail.  Thanks. 

Message 7 of 27
See Most Recent

Even if it is royal mail the seller is reponsible, open an inr now, seller will notice it almost immedietly.

Stae your case if it goes beyond the 3rd day get ebay to step in.

Message 8 of 27
See Most Recent

I've already messaged them, I'll give them a day or so to reply before opening an INR.  Thanks. 

Message 9 of 27
See Most Recent

"open an inr now"

Nobody knows the full case as none of us purchased the item, can't see tracking, dispatch time and whether that delivery date is due to eBay's EDD problem. 

You'd be pretty peeved if someone purchased something from you with a 3-5 day dispatch policy, you created the label (which unfortunately marks the item and dispatched) and prepared the item to bulk ship with other orders in a few days time. It was then shipped and an INR was opened which resulted in having to refund the buyer and possibly lose the item whilst then receiving negative feedback because the buyer felt they had to open a case (which often will make buyers think they had to "get eBay involved"). All because eBay generated an estimate of delivery in 1-2 days even though dispatch time is 3-5. 

While the issue, reported here more than daily, regarding wrong and impossible EDD's is a thing, communication should be the first step to make sure this isn't the issue instead of going right for the jugular by opening an INR. 

Message 10 of 27
See Most Recent

Note - tracked 48 does not mean "48 hours" - it's just a number. Trickery by Royal Mail.  (still faster than 2nd class though)

Message 11 of 27
See Most Recent

Its 6 days over how long do you want the op to wait ?

Message 12 of 27
See Most Recent

Always allow up to 48hrs for a business seller to respond (Mon-Fri), though if it's a private seller, they probably won't be terminally online like the rest of us and may take a tad longer, but if they can supply the parcel number you might find out what Royal Mail has done with it.

Another option is to contact your local Royal Mail Delivery Office and ask if they have it reserved for collection, it's often a much faster way to find if there has been a delivery issue.

Message 13 of 27
See Most Recent

Well, I messaged the seller, and they got back to me quickly.  He gave me the tracking number and according to Royal Mail, the item was received at my local Mail Centre on Saturday.  I guess I should give it a few more days, keep an eye on it, and if I still haven't received it, see if I can try and collect it myself?  I'll see how it goes I guess. 

Message 14 of 27
See Most Recent

Oh wow - looks like I fell for it!  Thanks for that piece of information. 

Message 15 of 27
See Most Recent

Here's how RM say it:

Royal Mail Tracked Services

(incl Royal Mail Tracked 24®, Royal Mail Tracked 48®, Royal Mail Tracked Returns)

• We aim to deliver Tracked 24® the next working day and Tracked 48® / Tracked Returns with 2-3 working days. (Please add an extra working day if there's a Redirection in place).
  • If the item hasn't been delivered by the due date plus 7 working days the sender might be able to claim for compensation. Check eligibility on our claims centre. (Please note, early claims cannot be processed). 
    If you're the recipient please contact the sender. They will contact us to make enquiries on your behalf.
Message 16 of 27
See Most Recent

If it arrived to your local depot on Saturday, I'd recommend trying to collect, as they should have sent it out with your postie on the Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Give the depot a call, quote them your parcel number to see if it's still with them (?) then make arrangements to collect, you'd need to bring some form of picture ID, eg driving license, passport and an official printed document that has your name and address on it, eg utility bill, when you arrive at the depot you'll just need to present your parcel number and these documents, then they should release the parcel to you.

Message 17 of 27
See Most Recent

I'm considering doing that.  Luckily, I'm not in a rush to get this item, so I will give it until tomorrow and play it from there.  I just checked and apparently it's still at the Mail Centre for some reason.  Thanks.

Message 18 of 27
See Most Recent

If it is still at the Mail Centre I would wonder if the seller didn't pay enough postage, i.e it was over weight or over size of what they paid, but if this was the case I think you should have got a grey card sent to you from Royal Mail telling you there was a fee to pay.

Message 19 of 27
See Most Recent

Any luck, or is RM still being difficult?

Message 20 of 27
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: