When to open "Item not received" case

Hi, I ordered an item last week that was dispatched on the 12th March via Royal Mail 48 hour tracked delivery.  It was due to arrive on the 14th.  It is now the 20th and I still haven't received it. 

I've never had to deal with this before, so I'm wondering: do I contact the seller first before opening an "Item not received" case, to see if they know what is going on?  Or do I just go ahead and open a case?  Or both at the same time? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 27
See Most Recent
26 REPLIES 26

I just received my item today.  I spent this morning trying to get on the phone to the Mail Centre, only to find there was a 30 minute wait.  So I hung up and decided to wait until tomorrow. 

An hour later, my item arrived in the post.  RM held my item in the MC for over a week, and I have no idea why.     

I'm glad I didn't file the INR immediately now.  Thanks for the help everyone! 

Message 21 of 27
See Most Recent

That's good news that the item has turned up,  here's a tip should something similar happen again , if it's a Royal Mail delivery.

Ask the seller if not already present,  for the tracking number or the 16 digit number on the proof of postage.

Enter those numbers into Royal Mail's Track & Trace online.  That will show you if an attempted delivery was made,  and for you to either pick up the item from the sorting office ( be aware it's kept  for a maximum of 18 days),  or you can leave instructions there for them to resend the item.

A useful tool that Track & Trace.

@to_polk 

Message 22 of 27
See Most Recent

Thanks tressygirl - I did get the tracking information from the seller.  According to Track & Trace online it was being held at the local MC, and they didn't update this for over a week.  It was still supposedly at the MC the morning it got delivered. 

I think someone at RM made a mistake and didn't bother to update it.  But then, it still shouldn't have taken this long for a Royal Mail Track 48 item to show up.  If it was 2nd Class it would probably still be there a month later. 

Message 23 of 27
See Most Recent

I've heard some bad reports of late,  of RM's 48 hour service,  many not receiving their items within that specified time.

Message 24 of 27
See Most Recent

RM48 isn't a guaranteed delivery service but an aim. 

Even then with this aim, if someone sends on a Friday then it won't be getting delivered on a Sunday so will exceed 48 hours delivery. 

Then you have to add typically a further day if its been collected from the seller rather than dropped off. So if it's the postman collecting it, they might have further rounds to do before dropping it at the depot meaning they've missed that days collection when it's taken to a central hub and it may not get moving until the following day. 

So on this basis, even if it's collected on Friday, it might not properly get moving in the network until Monday for expected delivery Tuesday/Weds, possibly even later if there's backlogs and delays in the network. Plus if someone misses the delivery RM may or may not leave a card. 

Which is all why I don't agree with some people here, some of whom are sellers themselves and know the score, saying to open INR's or chargebacks and going for the jugular from the off. This instance just goes to show the seller was prepared to communicate with the buyer and help resolve things. 

Message 25 of 27
See Most Recent

After the OP gave a 6 day delay after last estimated date for delivery  in their opening post,  as my first answer to them said to contact the seller first, but if not helpful,   to then open a case for INR.

6 days is a fair amount to wait me thinks,  in my humble opinion .

Message 26 of 27
See Most Recent

Glad to hear there was a favourable outcome, for both of you! It's not right that these holdups happen, especially if it's down to neglegence by the courier service, they have one job, they just need to do it prudently and efficiently!

Just had some stupidity by another service happen to me, UK Imports & Customs, had a package come in from France, arrived in Langley, they held it for 12 days, then sent it back to sender.... no communication, no phone call, letter or anything to let me know if I had any fees or anything to pay, they simply sent it back to the sender, now need to wait for it to get back and I can go down to retrieve it, even if I'm not allowed to!

Message 27 of 27
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: