Seller lies, no stock, not in UK

I've had it with buying new goods on eBay. It's a complete waste of time and money. Some sellers say they have a product and they are in the UK and this is clearly not true. They've spoilt eBay for genuine sellers of UK stock. The delivery times are ridiculous and then the refund process way too long. EBay does nothing about this and it's no wonder everyone uses Amazon now. I was always an eBay user and rarely used Amazon for new stock but I'll always use Amazon from now on. It's totally illegal when a sellers cons you out of money for stock they don't have.  And how is ebay unable to stop sellers stating they are in th UK with stock when they obviously don't. Stick to second hand stock from eBay and don't waste or time or energy on anything else. EBay will continue to go downhill unless something is done about this. Was great at one time but eBay just feels like some dodgy online buying site now where buyers are treat with contempt by sellers and eBay themselves.

Message 1 of 61
See Most Recent
60 REPLIES 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, but amazon does that for you. No need to read tons of small prints. A seller who got two negative feedbacks will be restricted by amazon immediately. And you can send back any item and get your money back in no time. No hassle, no time waste. On second hand/refurbished items Ebay is unbeatable yet. When I want to purchase vintage hi fi and the like, I always look at Ebay first.
Message 21 of 61
See Most Recent

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

Oh and by the way, the seller now has been given until November 2nd to reply to my request for my money back. Messed up and totally ridiculous for an item I paid for on October 15th. There just is no denying this.

How long after paying did you wait before opening a case?

Timescale is taken from time case is opened. Be rather annoying if timescale was taken from date buyer paid, would give most of us zero ability to fix things. 

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 22 of 61
See Most Recent

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

Well I may be wrong, but I predict eBay will be be in trouble soon. Someone always steps in and does it better. Time will tell.

Very unlikely.

People have been predicting their demise for past couple of decades. All wrong so far.

Yes indeed there are lots of companies who are in competition with ebay. All but one are far smaller and some may well drop by the wayside far quicker than ebay.

All businesses die off in time, does not look like the top 3 3rd party businesses are going anywhere but up.

Dogen
Message 23 of 61
See Most Recent

@Anonymous wrote:

I second that. Amazon is far superior when it comes to speedy delivery. If you pay for it you get the item guarantied next day (delivery till 10pm!). I will never buy new items from Ebay again.  Marked as "despatched" tells you nothing. As soon as the seller bought an label from Ebay the item get the mark "despatched". And yes, many sellers claim that they and the item are located in the UK but they are not and send from China. 

Yes, dead annoying when they deliver so late. I get downstairs and the driver has gone. 

The next day delivery is sometimes next day, depends on how busy the driver is. 

I plan deliveries for days I'm at home and not stuck in meetings, doesn't always turn up on those days. 

Dogen
Message 24 of 61
See Most Recent

They want you to return the item to China.. 

They've lied about it being a UK seller..

So they get away with the lie and the money.. 

I've seen lots of negative reviews on sites.. so I avoid them now but it makes buying a logistics nightmare..looking for items then checking to see if they really are based in uk.. and repeat.. numerous times.. 

When Ebay do intervene it to arrange a return mostly..

So you're still out of pocket even if it is a uk.seller..

Like many others I'm sick of the gamble whether I'll get what I actually ordered or not.. 

Message 25 of 61
See Most Recent

True.. BUT I've just spent an hour trying to buy an item..

After specifying UK seller in my search.. EVERY one had lied.. and was Asia based.. 

With delivery times to match..

And ALL had bad reviews.. 

How bad before Ebay investigate ?

One had 91% The others weren't much higher..

And the negatives dont seem to be included in the %..

I've given up.. 

Obviously the item I want isnt sold by a uk seller any more.. it's a baby fleece bkanket..

Who'd think it was so hard to find one anymore..  having bought loads over the years for my local dog rescue..

Small and soft and easy care.. they were perfect.. 

Message 26 of 61
See Most Recent

Double check the similar items before you buy desirable one. If you see them in big amounts being sold by Chinese sellers item is from China. Sadly Chinese and other country sellers can buy USPS or other labels and and say they are from US, UK etc. Also carefully read item location and seller location. Check the seller's name if you pay with PayPal. 

Sadly there are also some drop shippers who sell not their own items: they list item here, when buyer places order, they purchase item from external websites and use your shipping address, thus actually item to you is delivered not from the seller you paid to but from the one your seller paid to after you placed the order. 

In both cases you can report to eBay.

Message 27 of 61
See Most Recent

Waw, great! I have just checked suspicios seller claiming to be from the USA and seller's information shows Hong Kong. You rock! Just saying

Message 28 of 61
See Most Recent

I agree I think I will be giving up on ebay too - keeps happening to me, stock is obviously not in the UK and ebay does nothing to stop this. 

Message 29 of 61
See Most Recent

👍
Message 30 of 61
See Most Recent

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

I've had it with buying new goods on eBay. It's a complete waste of time and money. Some sellers say they have a product and they are in the UK and this is clearly not true. They've spoilt eBay for genuine sellers of UK stock. The delivery times are ridiculous and then the refund process way too long. EBay does nothing about this and it's no wonder everyone uses Amazon now. I was always an eBay user and rarely used Amazon for new stock but I'll always use Amazon from now on. It's totally illegal when a sellers cons you out of money for stock they don't have.  And how is ebay unable to stop sellers stating they are in th UK with stock when they obviously don't. Stick to second hand stock from eBay and don't waste or time or energy on anything else. EBay will continue to go downhill unless something is done about this. Was great at one time but eBay just feels like some dodgy online buying site now where buyers are treat with contempt by sellers and eBay themselves.

I remember the attempts to organise a boycott of eBay, when they removed the much-abused right of sellers to give negative feedback to buyers. It was several years after I first saw people posting that eBay was doomed to die because of its unfair policies. Of course when someone says he will stop or reduce his use of eBay, we only see a moment in time, and can only judge by the manner in which things are said.

You have been using eBay for just over 13½ years, and received 613 feedbacks, on an average of about 45 per year.  It is a little under a year since you started this thread, during which you have received 49 feedbacks, apparently evenly spread through the year. It is a common pattern in threads like this. I am glad to see thaqt you still find eBay worth using, and that the pillars of the temple will hold up a while longer.

Message 31 of 61
See Most Recent

@snametab wrote:

I agree I think I will be giving up on ebay too - keeps happening to me, stock is obviously not in the UK and ebay does nothing to stop this. 

Some of the regular long-term posters on this board have never experienced unjustified cancellation or misdeclaration of item location, and others very seldom. In another pattern common on this thread, you have never left feedback for either.

The seller might or mightn't check out your feedback left before deciding whether to cancel. At the time of deciding where to have his stock he doesn't know who will buy, and whether they will hand out absolution.

Message 32 of 61
See Most Recent

@gallovidian wrote:

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

I remember the attempts to organise a boycott of eBay, when they removed the much-abused right of sellers to give negative feedback to buyers. It was several years after I first saw people posting that eBay was doomed to die because of its unfair policies. Of course when someone says he will stop or reduce his use of eBay, we only see a moment in time, and can only judge by the manner in which things are said.

You have been using eBay for just over 13½ years, and received 613 feedbacks, on an average of about 45 per year.  It is a little under a year since you started this thread, during which you have received 49 feedbacks, apparently evenly spread through the year. It is a common pattern in threads like this. I am glad to see thaqt you still find eBay worth using, and that the pillars of the temple will hold up a while longer.

A few of those who said they would stop using ebay posted multiple times. About the same subject. Over time.

In other words multiple times they said they were going to stop using ebay. I used to tell them fare thee well Felicia. They'd come along, tell us they were leaving, flounce out, then come back weeks or months later to tell us they were leaving ..... either a revolving door or they weren't quite serious in the first place. 

Dogen
Message 33 of 61
See Most Recent

Well I’ve actually done what I said for most of the time. I’ve stopped buying new stock on eBay. Buy new stock on EBay, it’s a spin of the wheel what happens.

Sent from my iPhone

Message 34 of 61
See Most Recent

@cassiega wrote:

They want you to return the item to China.. 

They've lied about it being a UK seller..

So they get away with the lie and the money.. 

Yes, but they can't have what they want, and would probably be surprised to get it. It is just a trick to make you give up, and you don't have to.

If you were to read the Money Back Guarantee you would find that they can't make you return a Not As described item to anywhere but the declared location, and they must pay return postage. If the item was described as being in China, return postage can't be printed out through eBay. They could do iut by the Royal Mail website, but it is so much more expensive than the item's first trip, that if you call their bluff they will usually abandon the item and refund without return. If the item was warehoused for them in the UK it was probably with someone who can't or won't accept returns for them., with the same result.

If you want to do a change of mind return, the seller can't require return to anywhere that will cost you more than the declared location.

Message 35 of 61
See Most Recent

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

Well I’ve actually done what I said for most of the time. I’ve stopped buying new stock on eBay. Buy new stock on EBay, it’s a spin of the wheel what happens.

Sent from my iPhone

Can be handy. Multiple times I've purchased stock on ebay to sell that's cheap and sold it for a higher price. On ebay or on another site. 

Bargains can be found and some sellers do not want to set high prices in the belief the item won't sell. 

Dogen
Message 36 of 61
See Most Recent

Since this post I've had numberous dealings with eBay and I'd like to say eBay has been pretty good on resolving disputes or any problems I've had recently. They have improved their speed at which they deal with customer problems. I think it's only fair to say this. I also think we are desperate for more competition for Amazon and at present eBay are the only real competitors.

Message 37 of 61
See Most Recent

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

Always scroll down to the address information on the bottom of a listing. You get to know what to look for and can spot a Chinese seller for example who claims an item is in stock in the UK but will take 10-20 days to be delivered. I don't think so!

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 38 of 61
See Most Recent

It's still a con isn't it, based in negligence. OP is paying for the inconveinience of a false statement, and buyer protection does not take effect for a while. The buyer loses their money from the second it leaves their account, for a non existent product - until ebay step in with buyer protection. In my case Seller has said the item sold elsewhere; we were talking up to the point of sale, then he said it had sold elsewhere and ignored me. I said does the order need to be cancelled he said yes, asked if he would please do it that night. No more communication.  Ebay can see from our correspondance that he has sold the item and In effect said it was ok, because he was responsible and mentioned that he has sold the item, as well as that he has positive feedback...

Message 39 of 61
See Most Recent

I agree, saying there have stock just to take your money. Then you get told there waiting for stock themselves, which takes 45 days and you have to wait, refund requests are ignored.   

Message 40 of 61
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: