Seller lies, no stock, not in UK

I've had it with buying new goods on eBay. It's a complete waste of time and money. Some sellers say they have a product and they are in the UK and this is clearly not true. They've spoilt eBay for genuine sellers of UK stock. The delivery times are ridiculous and then the refund process way too long. EBay does nothing about this and it's no wonder everyone uses Amazon now. I was always an eBay user and rarely used Amazon for new stock but I'll always use Amazon from now on. It's totally illegal when a sellers cons you out of money for stock they don't have.  And how is ebay unable to stop sellers stating they are in th UK with stock when they obviously don't. Stick to second hand stock from eBay and don't waste or time or energy on anything else. EBay will continue to go downhill unless something is done about this. Was great at one time but eBay just feels like some dodgy online buying site now where buyers are treat with contempt by sellers and eBay themselves.

Message 1 of 61
See Most Recent
60 REPLIES 60

Hi pal ,

eBay is just a cesspool of false ads and lies and chinese flooding the place with goods so they can manipulate and control the prices of everything and take business away from reliable , trustworthy and genuine sellers , I'm sure there are  good Chinese sellers out there but just not on eBay. 

I'm sick reporting stuff to eBay but them acting on it might cost them money and their profits take a dip so they couldn't give a flying fek about the buyers , they know its going on and turn a blind eye to it so they are complicit in this type of false , lying  advertising . I have been away from ebay for years and using Amazon and thought I would see if things have changed  , it's all Chinese sellers and good majority claiming UK stock and lying on delivery times ,  and it has changed and not for the better , I thought I had signed into a Chinese version of eBay, they flood eBay with listing and , and I know this for a fact , they have multiple accounts and rigging prices so they get your business and the genuine truthful sellers are losing out . I might just start a Facebook group for all the people deceived by lying sellers and how eBay is complicit in the deception . Pic shows I purchased on the 10 / 11 / 2023 and the listing clearly states UK stock and 3 to 5 days delivery , it is now 5 days from purchase and the courier doesn't even have the parcel yet , as soon as you click to pay the delivery date gets further away . Again a cesspool for lying ,  cheating sellers , who so far , I have found are Chinese and reported and are still doing it .

Message 41 of 61
See Most Recent

You and me both .

Message 42 of 61
See Most Recent

The Chinese flood eBay with goods and can manipulate and control prices so as to undercut and take buyers away from the real genuine sellers , shouldn't have to do checks eBay should be doing that , I'm sick reporting these dodgy lying sellers tactics and eBay is complicit in the whole thing .

Message 43 of 61
See Most Recent

Don't be so naive , and I'm talking from experience whereby trading standards got involved , eBay complicity removes any negative feedback that a seller asks them to so feedback is not a marker of how a seller operates , in my case they removed all negative feedback from a fraudulent seller which ended up in a 2 year prison sentence but it was never served coz they buggered off back to the country they came from and yet , when reported to eBay , nothing is done so for me eBay are like yge buyers of stolen goods if no-one buys them then there will be no market for bit so eBay could close this down quite easily but you have to have an appetite to do so and eBay don't because its profits that count for them .

Message 44 of 61
See Most Recent

Ebay is still stuck in the Stone Age and not moving with the times , Amazon has its faults also but the delivery times and the way they handle refunds is second to none and that's why i have used them for years now and will continue to do so until ebay drags itself into the 21st century and stop operating like its 3000 BCE .

Message 45 of 61
See Most Recent

This is now nearly the end if 2023 and nothing has changed eBay arr still  stuck in the Stone Age

Message 46 of 61
See Most Recent

If yhebstock is listed as in the UK there is no surcharge there is only a surcharge if the goods are coming from overseas it doesn't matter where the seller is based .

Message 47 of 61
See Most Recent

The seller can get negative feedback taken down , already been through this which resulted in a 2 year sentence  , crooked seller kept asking ebay to remove their negative feedback and eBay was more than happy do it for the scammer and the seller leaves feedback for the buyer just the same .

Message 48 of 61
See Most Recent

The ebay uk site should be for UK sellers only.

There should be an international site if you want to buy/sell abroad.

This way there is a clear choice of where you buy from.

I look for long delivery times as that is a clue to where it is coming from.

Message 49 of 61
See Most Recent

The Chinese connection is increasingly well hidden but this from a seller shipping from London is a bit of a giveaway

Message 50 of 61
See Most Recent

The problem with ebay is the 30 day money back guarantee.

If I buy say a mobile phone I want the 3 year manufacturers guarantee not the 30 day ebay guarantee.

A lot of Chinese stuff is well known for slow delivery and poor quality.

Message 51 of 61
See Most Recent

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

if eBay expects every buyer to do a Sherlock homes on every seller

There's no Sherlock Holmes about it

Don't you check out other internet websites before you buy something - even if it's only to beleive Trustpilot's fake reviews?

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

Amazon ping stuff relentlessly next day delivery. I think it's time eBay really moved with the times.

Amazon don't send out next day in every case. Things from China take days and next day delivery is supposed to be guaranteed if you pay the Prime charge at about £8.99 a month and even then it's not always next day as it depends on the seller. 

Ebay don't charge a fee to get next day delivery so . . .

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

The seller looks ok with no problems. Says they are for example in "Guildford"

You should also look at the seller's business details. If they are from  Shenzen then that gives you a clue 

And lastly, check the estmated delivery times they have set. Chinese sellers usually have abnormally long delivery times set and can be anything from 30 to 90 days. ebay are fairly strict on delivery times and if the seller is constantly late getting things to buyers, they will ultimately get lower seller ratings - another thing to check

*If you want to make enemies, try to change something - Woodrow Wilson
*It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change - Charles Darwin
Message 52 of 61
See Most Recent

@lee_73-2009 wrote:

Well I may be wrong, but I predict eBay will be be in trouble soon. Someone always steps in and does it better. Time will tell.

If I had a penny for every time someone said that . . .

ebay are going nowhere. I mean, I've been on here for 24 years now (not this account) and see that comment over and over and over again

*It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change - Charles Darwin
Message 53 of 61
See Most Recent

@cassiega wrote:

After specifying UK seller in my search.. EVERY one had lied.. and was Asia based.. 

With delivery times to match..

They didn't lie

The search if for items that are available in the UK not that the seller is UK based

And, when you say delivery times to match, how can you expect them to be here within a couple of days if they are coming from Asia? They'd have to be miracle workers to do that

Quite transparent to me

Message 54 of 61
See Most Recent

You've missed the point here. Saying you're a uk seller with "potentiallly" Uk stock is the problem. Because it never is in the UK. And that's how they get round what appears to be at a glance uk stock, only to find it will be arriving from China or wherever in weeks or months. So quite the opposite of transparent. At least with sites like Temu and shein you know that stock will be shipped from China. Do you think people would buy from these sellers if they had a pic of the Chinese flag instead of the UK one on item pics.  No. They wouldn't. This is in fact the opposite of transparent.

Message 55 of 61
See Most Recent

I understand that many sellers on eBay are drop ship sellers based offshore but with a uk outlet which is fine 

my issue is with the sellers that blatantly advertise as UK stock then I have to wait weeks for it to arrive from China although I've paid UK prices 

ebay seem to have no problem with this when it's clearly false advertising 

im struggling with a purchase that was dispatched instantly via a uk courier tracking number but the courier still over a week later haven't received the item 

this needs to be addressed by eBay as this is a constant problem 

move been a member of eBay for 22years and this has happened so many times when will eBay fix the problem?

Message 56 of 61
See Most Recent

@Anonymous wrote:

I second that. Amazon is far superior when it comes to speedy delivery. If you pay for it you get the item guarantied next day (delivery till 10pm!). I will never buy new items from Ebay again.  Marked as "despatched" tells you nothing. As soon as the seller bought an label from Ebay the item get the mark "despatched". And yes, many sellers claim that they and the item are located in the UK but they are not and send from China. 

- that site is NOT that fast anymore from my experience. And Prime is a total waste of money, very very few things are same day or next day anymore.

- they offer fulfillment (FBA) whereas Ebay don't, a lot of their stuff comes from a central warehouse.  

- loads of sellers on that site are in China too and you'll have the exact same issues there unless you're buying FBA as in the above point..

- I take your point about being marked as dispatched. That's an issue with Ebay not the seller.  Often I buy my postage labels on Sunday evenings to post out on Monday.  It all gets marked as dispatched by Ebay automatically. Obviously I am not posting anything on Sunday night (in theory could use postbox or parcel postbox, but then no proof of posting)

And as for the OP, yes you should leave bad feedback if you are unhappy.  Buyers can only be left positive feedback so you have nothing to worry about. Just keep your feedback factual, don't mention Ebay stepping in though, and don't be overly aggressive/angry or other sellers may not want to deal with you in future.

Message 57 of 61
See Most Recent

Just simply not true as an ebayer and Amazon user. I’d rather not support both sites tbh for different reasons, but there is simply no denying Amazon gives you clear and precise information on whether it will be delivered next day or take longer. Their delivery information is totally precise and adhered to every time. Buy and hope from eBay. But as I’ve said before eBay is still a great site for used goods and second to none on that front. Pretending eBay is equal to Amazon for new goods is just delusional and serves no purpose and certainly won’t help eBay get any better.
Message 58 of 61
See Most Recent

This is a major problem. You see sellers having stock, the delivery date is
within a week so you place your order only to find its not a week but 3
weeks or 45 days to come from China and the seller expects you to except
the new delivery timescale. Then its hard to cancel when you find out the
seller lied to the buyer by not saying about the excessive timescales and
you have to fight to get your money back.
Message 59 of 61
See Most Recent

Hi ,

I have used Ebay for years and ended up goping to Amazon due to quick delivery times and the no hassle quick refunds you get but I have found not everything in the Amazon garden is rosy , firstly , and this is my main problem with them , you can only leave positive reviews or you get blocked from ever leaving feedback again and they block you from asking questions about something you might fancy buying , if you read through their terms and conditions for leaving feedback you'll be shocked , it's ok for the seller to deliberately and consistantly lie to you , refuse to accept the order back when only half of what you bought arrives , Secondly , I am sick buying things that clearly state same day delivery only to change once you pay to next day delivery by 10pm then their customer service says it might be doen to where you live but the system already knows where I live before I buy and shows my postcode before I buy . Amazon is a cesspool for the dodgy , unscrupulous lying sellers and Amazon do everything in their power to stop you red flagging these dodgy dealers so now I make the odd purchase if I need it pretty quick but thats it , they just want you to pay your money then lie that everything went well even after contacting them regarding dodgy dealers , so the grass isn't greener on the other side , the other side is full of cow turds disguised as roses.

Message 60 of 61
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: