How long to wait for response from seller when requesting invoice?

During yesterday and the day before, I won a series of diecast-car related bids, many of these around £1 - £2, totalling £13 before postage. Each of these have an individual postage cost of £2.94, which I initially paid no notice to, since every seller I've talked to would issue me an invoice later on.

However, despite sending two messages stating my intentions to receive a revised total, I have not received a response or even an acknowledgement on either message. I have until the 31st to pay.

My order presently comes to £50 due to all the postage, when it's hardly ever above £6 for the number of cars I purchased. I am not sure what to do here as £35 of postage is ludicrous. It may be worth noting these are the first items sold by this user in 18 years of being on the website.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Can be up to 48 hours, but there may be a delay with it being Bank Holiday weekend.

Does the Seller say he will combine postage on his/her advert?  Have you requested a combined invoice on the payment invoice before you pay?

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Give the seller until late tomorrow to see your messages and hopefully respond.

It is Easter weekend and they may simply be too busy to log on to Ebay, especially if they are a returning seller.

If they don't respond you will have to choose whether to pay, and ask for a refund, or not pay and risk getting a handful of unpaid payment strikes.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

"which I initially paid no notice to, since every seller I've talked to would issue me an invoice later on."

I think you "assumed" the seller would combine postage unless they actually said they would on each listing.If they didn't offer combined postage they are not obliged to do so now.

If it's a newbie seller they may not know what to do.

Some people use Easter as a chance to have a long holiday from today right through to a week on Sunday.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

When you first saw the listings in question, did you actually take the time to contact the seller before placing your bids to ask whether or not he/she would be willing to issue an invoice with revised postage costs?  If you did and the seller agreed to issue an invoice with revised postage costs then it may well be the case that the seller is on his/her Easter holidays and will do this for you upon his/her return.

If the seller either hasn't replied to you (if you did indeed contact the seller before bidding for the items), or if you just didn't bother and you have not heard anything from the seller confirming that he/she would be willing to issue a combined invoice, then it may well be the case that the seller is not willing to do this, or if he/she is a relatively new seller, then the seller may not even know how to send an invoice with revised postage costs.

In the event that you either didn't contact the seller to ascertain that he/she would be willing to offer a combined postage discount, or you did but the seller told you that he/she wouldn't be willing to do this, then if you don't pay for the items you could well end up finding yourself with an Unpaid Item Strike for each one if the seller opens an Unpaid Item Dispute against each one and ends up closing without payment.  Given the fact that sellers can block anybody who has been hit with two or more Unpaid Item Strikes within the past twelve months, if you do indeed get hit with Unpaid Item Strikes relating to each of these items then you may well find yourself automatically blocked from buying from several other sellers, as the vast majority of sellers have their Selling Preferences set up to automatically block buyers with two or more Unpaid Item Strikes during the past twelve months.

In summary, if you haven't already done so then pay up for all of the items won before the seller can open an Unpaid Item Dispute against you for each item won and cause you some serious buying problems in the long term.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: