Fed up with UK based sellers shipping from China!

It's getting more and more frustrating having to determine whether items are actually UK based or not.

So many sellers who have a UK based address are shipping from China. It's a painstaking process to go through.

Some are easier than others to identify because they will state delivery dates well into the future, but some will have dates only a week away, which although seems too long is understandable if the seller needs time to locate, package, and post. Yesterday I saw an item with an estimated delivery of 7-10 days. I messaged the buyer asking if he could ship earlier and his reply was shipping normally takes 10-15 days, sometimes you will get it sooner, sometimes later. So obviously being shipped from China.

I passed on the purchase as I need this for the coming weekend. The filter to search for "Items in UK Only" does not really work.

Rant over.

Peter

Message 1 of 55
See Most Recent
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Fed up with UK based sellers shipping from China!

Totally true!!

Autel supposedly has a uk warehouse that has UK drone stocks.

Total ripoff lie!!

I ordered an autel expensive drone costing over £5000.

Was never delivered after waiting over 8 weeks.

I complained to supposedly autel UK and got a reply in broken English that it would be delivered to me a week later.

Never happened!!

Thank god I got PayPal onside and found out that autel UK were not UK based at all~~they were based in China and were ripping uk buyers off.

I got my money back.

I've seen other UK buyers who have also been ripped to the tune of thousands of pounds by supposedly autel UK.

Don't ever buy from Autel UK or Autel China.

Lesson learnt.

Message 21 of 55
See Most Recent

Thank goodness PAY PAL stepped in for you ..

thus problem is so annoying . Ebay e mailed me today regarding my return . I used the chat option and they told me that they have been told to supply a uk address for my item to be returned too.

In the meantime the seller has said they will now offer me 35% which again dosnt answer either of my questions regarding the suddenly decreasing amount they are offering me ( item cost 19.99 , first refund read 16.66 now 11.69 , and a UK address. 

Ebay have said I will receive a full refund if they don't supply a uk address . So we will see ..

Message 22 of 55
See Most Recent

The main problem is the manpower cost in the UK, it's ultra expensive. When you have a UK Freight Forwarder that simplify the shipping and process from China into the UK as EMS delivery. From the cost point of view is a win-win for the seller and the consumer.

Message 23 of 55
See Most Recent

@m45561 wrote:

Totally true!!

Autel supposedly has a uk warehouse that has UK drone stocks.

Total ripoff lie!!

I ordered an autel expensive drone costing over £5000.

Was never delivered after waiting over 8 weeks.

I complained to supposedly autel UK and got a reply in broken English that it would be delivered to me a week later.

Never happened!!

Thank god I got PayPal onside and found out that autel UK were not UK based at all~~they were based in China and were ripping uk buyers off.

I got my money back.

I've seen other UK buyers who have also been ripped to the tune of thousands of pounds by supposedly autel UK.

Don't ever buy from Autel UK or Autel China.

Lesson learnt.

This was a very high value transactions, in which it is difficult to imagine you failing to check the delivery estimate, determining the delivery estimate.

At present drones of the make and price you mentioned,   are sold by a Chinese seller with a Chinese address offering expedited delivery from China  in nine to sixteen days. While a seller is entitled to specify a much longer delivery estimate, with the thirty days beginning at its end, it is hard to imagine them doing so if they ever offered delivery from a British fulfilment centre.

Digressing to what people say about poor quality Chinese items,  Chinese seller can't buy a postage label back to China through eBay, but not a thing in the MBG exempts him from the obligation to fund return postage on a Not As Described item. He can do it through the Royal Mail website, but the reason we have probably never seen one instance of a Chinese seller doing it, is that it is prohibitively expensive in that direction. They may make excuses and false offers of discount etc., but when they see that their deterrents aren't deterring, they generally abandon the item and refund. They won't do that with a £700 item, but it is a powerful incentive to get the quality right. That kind of difference in values also increases the... well, something... of not putting some reading and thought into making sure you retain your right to redress.

It is no surprise that Paypal refunded you, and using Paypal is certainly something you did right. But I believe eBay would have done the same, and if a seller is doing something wrong, eBay's records are a better place for the details to be.

In many respects we are better protected against false item location than many admit. I have never had the slightest objection to buying from Chinese-address sellers, and yet unauthorised shiooing from China has never happened to me. I believe those who claim it happens to them often, are in one way or another neglecting due vigilance and common sense. Reading the MBG policy would be a good start.

Checking the delivery estimate and opening an INR case is onvious and often repeated. Many also seem to know that the MBG policy permits a Not As Described case, irrespective of item condition, if the delivery estimate is exceeded. He ceis a situation in which the seller being in China works for you, rather than against. He can't make you pay the extremely high return postage on an item which either legitimately or illegitimately came from China. The seller or an expensive drone just might ante up, but I don't believe we have ever heard of one doing it with a cheaper item.

If you include "UK stock" in a search, you will indeed find many Chinese sellers, some of them very large indeed, advertising stock held in British fulfilment centres. But you will find very little feedback complaining of this practice. Some may be doing it occasionally, to cover a stockholding error (if the complainers aren't mistaken or malicious), and others not at all. Getting the feedback removed? No, some of them show other negative feedback which they could easily have had removed if they bothered.

All the evidence is that hundreds of thousands of British eBay buyers prefer to do business that way. If that has anything to do with anything. Why should eBay deprive them of what they want?

Message 24 of 55
See Most Recent

Why does ebay not allow the buyer once tracking changes and shows estimated delivery now 15 days

when i try and report this by item not delivered ebay automatically tells me i have to wait until item is delivered as they changed the original delivery time. 

this is shocking and needs to stop 

i will buy from aliexpress in future and save money and get more realistic tracking

Message 25 of 55
See Most Recent

"because some Chinese based sellers do have a UK warehouse or somewhere they hold stock and ship from there. So many items are shown in the listings as seemingly already in the UK but are, in fact, still in China."

Some are even registered by eBay as being 'UK based'...  The solution to my mind would be for eBay to require either confirmation of self-employed status via HMRC or an incorporation certificate at Companies House.     ...Other clues might be found in the pidgin-English rubbish written in descriptions and the fact that an awful lot of this tat is dangerous and illegal.    ...But I've been caught out a few times myself.

- If everything is promoted then nothing is promoted... and many are defrauded!
Message 26 of 55
See Most Recent

If you scroll down to the bottom of the listing page / item you are interested in you will find the business sellers registration address details. There you will often find a Chinese address even though the item is being sent from the UK, apparently! I avoid for the most part but am fully aware now for those items I know will be coming from China - "4-6 days Other Courier Service"

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 27 of 55
See Most Recent

"If you include "UK stock" in a search, you will indeed find many Chinese sellers, some of them very large indeed, advertising stock held in British fulfilment centres. But you will find very little feedback complaining of this practice. Some may be doing it occasionally, to cover a stockholding error (if the complainers aren't mistaken or malicious), and others not at all. Getting the feedback removed? No, some of them show other negative feedback which they could easily have had removed if they bothered."

I cannot think of many ordinary buyers who would include those words in a search string...   and there is no "UK Stock" filter per se.   This is where the problem lies.   - People click 'UK only' because they think (are misled) that will filter will exclude the shoddy third-world sellers; and its not just China that is the problem here...   Eastern Europe and India are also a problem. 

It's nothing less than blatant sharp practice that this filter is actually for 'item location' and not where the seller is based - therefore what jurisdiction and regulations they are answerable to. 

People are mislead to imagine that by clicking 'UK Only' they can restrict themselves to sellers who are subject and can be held to account under UK laws and regulations; that they can protect themselves from the very often illegal and dangerous goods sold by third-world sellers.  

Having worked with Trading Standards departments, producing public information films... I've had the opportunity to speak candidly to Trading Standards Officers (and Police Officers) on various subjects; including the scandalous situation enabled by platforms such as eBay...    TSO are under-resources with barely enough capacity to deal with the more obvious infringements.  - And there are serious questions to be asked of our (also under-resourced) Customs services given the volume of absolute c***  that makes it into the country and these 'warehouses'.

It's a small measure (among many) of the contempt in which eBay hold the buying public and indeed public safety that they only enable filtering by 'item location'  and not 'seller location'.  - When people try (in vein) to protect themselves by clicking 'UK Only' they should be served only with items from business sellers who can prove a legitimate trading presence (either as self-employed or LTD; doesn't matter) and are able to be held to account - in all practical senses -  by the UK authorities...   Private sellers should be checked against voters rolls. 

It's not just 'shipping from China' that is the problem...  and I'd go so far as to say that if people want to make the conscious choice to buy shady Chinese rubbish, then they should have that option. - Provided they recognise that it is they who will be brought to book should they burn a house down, maim a child or anything of that kind.   ...There's one born every minute!

But when people actively seek to opt-out of that, and buy from UK-Sellers only; then it is only sharp-practice and exploitation of the slightly less quick-witted  to obfuscate that - as eBay do...  Sharp practice that makes eBay the dangerous and irresponsible platform it actually is!  

- If everything is promoted then nothing is promoted... and many are defrauded!
Message 28 of 55
See Most Recent

Quite frankly I'd rather pay more and buy a european made product or  UK made than buy sub standard rubbish from China. 

Message 29 of 55
See Most Recent

Well said.  Bravo.

Message 30 of 55
See Most Recent

Not always the case, there seems to be a business model that has the items already here in the UK, likely dispatched from a self storage unit, the registered address maybe a China address but the dispatched item is waiting at a self store to be sent.

it seems it very much depends on what day of the week that you place an order as the person employed to label & send the items may not do this every day, maybe once a week or possibly they wait until they have enough orders to make it worth the trip to the self store unit ? These are all my personal assumptions based on experience.

Message 31 of 55
See Most Recent

@peterindover wrote:

It's getting more and more frustrating having to determine whether items are actually UK based or not.

So many sellers who have a UK based address are shipping from China. It's a painstaking process to go through.

Some are easier than others to identify because they will state delivery dates well into the future, but some will have dates only a week away, which although seems too long is understandable if the seller needs time to locate, package, and post. Yesterday I saw an item with an estimated delivery of 7-10 days. I messaged the buyer asking if he could ship earlier and his reply was shipping normally takes 10-15 days, sometimes you will get it sooner, sometimes later. So obviously being shipped from China.

I passed on the purchase as I need this for the coming weekend. The filter to search for "Items in UK Only" does not really work.

Rant over.

Peter

Forget the eBay search filter. It's as much use as a culendar trying to hold water!

Scroll down to the bottom  left hand side of any listing page for a business seller, and their true registration country is revealed! Job done...............

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 32 of 55
See Most Recent

I've had the opposite happen, where a China seller seems to have a local agent with stocks of more popular items to send-out for faster deliveries (had one order split, two items from UK stock and two sent from China).

True some sellers are not always making things totally clear, with 'UK stocks' (usually in photo), but all the listings I've seen it does state the seller's actual location. (Although have a couple of times, when I've clicked the ebay logo in a communication from apparently UK seller, have been taken to ebay.hk and everyhing is in Chinese characters)

Message 33 of 55
See Most Recent

If u keep buying from the cheapest will always be china and even uk is drop ship. If you want cheap u get cheap china 

Message 34 of 55
See Most Recent

I usually go by delivery times.

2-3 days is UK and more is World wide.

I dont buy Chinese either but mostly because of poor quality goods.

You can get good stuff from China but usually through a reputable vendor who has good quality control checks.

Message 35 of 55
See Most Recent

I know what you mean,am a impulse buyer and gadget freak amongst  other things  so i buy more stuff than i should, but yes over the last 6 months or so when i purchase uk based items most are now coming from china  and apart from the lo ger delivery times quality has gone outthe window,but it is hard to tell which company  deals through china or is really uk based, i now have ceased buying for now  until ebay  amazon etc  disclose if items are being shipped from china .

Message 36 of 55
See Most Recent

surly the price is an indication.  china ship #2 pound items for free whislt uk items cost @ to ship minum. if people stop opting for the cheapest.   they want cheapest then comlain its poor quality. 

Message 37 of 55
See Most Recent

Absolutely yes!!

Lots of:UK based sellers ripping people off by false promises of items being shipped either  from UK or Europe 

Message 38 of 55
See Most Recent

I feel your pain peterindover!

Message 39 of 55
See Most Recent

I find this so annoying everything seems to be in Chins these days..Ebay should filter them out when you do a UK only search ...puts me off buying altogether

Message 40 of 55
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: