Ebay getting worse for buyers

Don't know about you but my experience of eBay has gone down massively this decade, they literally have gone against buyers giving us no protection against thieving courier companies even after proof provided and now they won't let you cancel orders even when seller hasn't dispatched!!! Not good enough ebay at all!

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Buyers have never been able to "cancel orders"... and rightly so.

Please explain "thieving courier companies".

eBay do have a  Money Back Guarantee which protects buyers if correctly used.

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

I'm not the OP but I think he's referring to the fact that rougue couriers (we know who they are) just dump their packets somewhere, mark item as delivered and Ebay will stand on the side of the seller.

I live in a huge block with 60 flats, I have seen 1st hand couriers dumping  packets onto the front door of the building and running away. How can Ebay accept that the item is delivered? I regularly see packets being stolen by kids and rough sleepers (apologies if this is politically incorrect).

To answer the OP, I only buy from Ebay when the packet is small and it comes through Royal Mail and/or I can pick it up at a collection point. I myself only sell using Royal Mail. Yes they make mistakes but at least they don't dump packets outside and mark the job done.

The only way to weed out these rougue couriers is getting them out of business by not using them.

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

I wouldn't call them  "rouge" sellers, but lets just say "not Exactly honest" sellers who know that the MBG safeguards them if any courier marks the Tracking as "Delivered".  No matter where it was left it's "Delivered" in ebays eyes.

Particularly galling to find a parcel left on my door-step, on a public walk-way and delivered by Hermes "Tracked" (sorry I've forgotten their new name) especially when the seller has quoted RM, who wouldn't leave anything on a door-step, but take it back to the DO for collection.  Which is why I bought from a seller who listed the item with RM delivery in the first place.

It happened so often that it was one of the main reasons I stopped buying much on ebay.  Having been reading these boards for years substituting cheap courier "Tracked" is quite a common occurrence, that often comes to light when a buyer has not received their purchase, although marked as "delivered" and the seller, knowing the Delivered status gets them off the hook with ebay, just tells the buyer "Tough luck" when their MBG claim fails.

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

What would happen if ebay sided with buyers every time they said their parcel has not been received even though tracking said it had? 

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

If you mean that eBay accept the tracking says 'delivered' when the buyer claims it has not been delivered - exactly what do you suggest  eBay do?

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

The Sellers offer the Courier Service they use.

Best check which Courier Service offered &  leave the Seller a message the reason you cannot buy.

I go in a local Courier pick up point Garage & the parcels are piled up for anyone to take the pick, not impressed.

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

People order something. Ebay and couriers sends emails about the status of their deliveries a few times. Buyers don't stay at their address and the courier leaves the parcels somewhere safe for their believes. Buyers complaint about the couriers. Why don't you do your part and wait your delivery at your address first?

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

And in reply to @plpmr 

When I see something I want to buy that's being offered with delivery by a courier other than RM, I message the seller and ask if they will use RM, making it clear that I will pay any extra cost, even if they want to send it RM Tracked / Signed For.

If they won't do that, or don't even bother to reply, then I don't buy from them. 

But all too often sellers quote RM on their ad. and then send with another company.  In that case, so far as I'm concerned, that is not what I paid for so Not As Described.

What can ebay do about it?

If a seller changes the delivery company to something other than they advertised, they should be required to get the buyers' permission before doing so, through ebay messages.

If they don't, then a claim by the buyer that their purchase has not been delivered should be treated as INAD and the buyer refunded.  This would still give the seller the protection given by "Delivered" on tracking if they have done what they agreed to do.

It would also protect buyers against those that do not. 

I say that as a seller who is quite happy to work with my buyers and accommodate their requirements and as a buyer with a very definite preference for one delivery company.  Like many others I have very good reasons for that preference  --  Too many items arriving damaged, left in public view, left with random neighbours in a block of 19 flats with no way of knowing where.

Because ebay does nothing about it, I buy less on ebay even though I've not yet  been left with no purchase and no refund and that will continue as long as some sellers are allowed to send by any company the like, whatever they put in their ads. with impunity.

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Cancellation requests are not garunteed it all comes down to the seller and how much volume there pushing out daily we get cancellations on a regular basis probably around 40+ a day we sell alot of low value items in the 1000's a day and we cannot garuntee a cancelation due to the high volume of orders we receive and the fact that we dispatch orders immediately so to keep up with dispatch times its like McDonalds in and out with no messing about therefore its very difficult to do so hence why we offer free returns when and where unable to do so. 

But try explaining that to a buyer they just don't understand and become arrogant, i really think buyers have to much power especially with the laws in this country they take advantage of these laws and mug us sellers of. 

As to courier issue why don't you just take it up with your bank personally i no longer trust any buyers no more i take there claims with a pich of salt especially on ebay its rife with buyers scamming we get so many daily and can't even block them anymore due to ebays limit on how many buyers you can block. 

Some buyers don't understand that we also have to feed our families, pay bills etc they expect everything for free making false accusations, stupid remarks its plane and simple if you want something for free then go to charity. 

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

@divine0606  wrote:

Cancellation requests are not garunteed it all comes down to the seller and how much volume there pushing out daily we get cancellations on a regular basis probably around 40+ a day.

Has that increased for you recently?  Just asking,  as someone on here has said when members go to pay there's a ' Do you wish to Cancel' your order option.

I haven't seen this, but then   I just buy and pay quickly,  but if this is the case,  it may well increase those cancellations? 

Not a good ' feature  ' in my humble opinion,  especially if you can change your mind after winning an auction if that feature is there.  Then, that's a waste of time,  and wreck of an auction for the seller.

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

AND YET....   if you read comments on here you will find lots of complaints about scammer buyers!  I buy and sell on e bay and so far (x fingers)  i have been lucky with both, a few returns (disagreed with a couple of them but (falsely smiled) and refunded, no point in doing anything else.  Also had a couple of items that were not quite in as good as condition as stated but as small priced just went with the flow.  However, i can see that both sides have a genuine grievance but unfortuately i cannot see any real prospect of dealing with it any other way, you cannot keep both sides happy in this kind of situation.   Also if you do not want something do not order in the first place instead of wasting other peoples time.

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

The thing that is annoying me  the most is the estimated delivery times.  If I sell something I've specified I will send second class, eBay estimates it will arrive between the next day and two days later.  And that's even if the purchase was made late at night.  Why can't we specify ourselves when it will arrive?  If someone says it will take a week, it's up to the buyer after that whether it's suitable.

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

I agree with you.  Having used eBay for years I am so disappointed the way they treat buyers .my son bought gold bars recently and took them to gold shop to make sure authentic.  Turns out fake .  When reported to eBay they were very unhelpful as he needed to get help .  This was not little money either he worked for and wanted a small investment as hoping to get married end of year .  We really don't know how they vet such sellers or allow scams .  Criminal. 

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Did you actually use eBay's extensive money back guarantee to return the items at the seller's cost?

You don't need to contact Ebay, you use the MBG and open an Item Not As Described case. 

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

Buyers are much better looked after than sellers.

But you need to know your rights and the ebay money back guarantee procedure.

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: