Click and collect not an option on offers...what nonsense!!!

I am aware this has already been raised in discussion. I am starting a new conversation to raise it again and I am hoping eBay will take note.

I found a thread about the issue of not being able to choose C&C when making an offer and only being able to have the purchase delivered to ones home address. The suggested solution was to contact the seller and ask if they would accept the offer, then if they do they would need to amend the listing to the offer price to allow for the option to choose C&C for delivery.

Frankly, this is rediculous. If C&C is available on a listing why on earth is it not available when making an offer on said listing??? There is no reason for this at all. Why does eBay not see this?

I am literally passing by listings now that I would otherwise have considered making an offer on. I don't like having things delivered to my home address for various reasons. It is much more convenient for me to be able to pick it up from argos because there is one at Sainsburys just 2 mins from work so I can easily pop in and pick up my parcel when its convenient for me and I know it is secure there.

Honestly, can eBay please give a valid explanation for this or recognise the fact that it is a glitch and they need to sort it out? I've bought and sold through eBay for years now. They have literally earned thousands from the transactions that have passed through my account. They make billions annually and yet they have these silly little issues that make no sense. They charge an extortionate amount on selling fees!! Sort this out!!!

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Apologies for the late reply,  I've just seen this question has been left unanswered.

There are several reasons why some sellers will not / cannot offer Click and Collect on items.

Firstly, not all items comply to the T & C's of Cick and Collect which are :

Your item weighs no more than 15kg (including packaging) and no one side of the parcel exceeds 90cm, with max dimensions of 0.324 cubic metres

Also,  there have been many complications with this option.  When it works well it's great,  but  some stores buyers have nearby,   have cancelled having this option as too many difficulties arise,  such as buyers coming outside the 7 day timeline to claim their item,  only to find it's not there.  Stores can even destroy an item after this period lapses,  they're under no obligation to hold it further.

Buyers then take their wrath out on the seller, but when they prove they have tracking showing the item was delivered to store,  the buyer finds themselves without item and without a refund, as they broke the fundamental rule of not collecting in time.

Stores and sellers therefore alike, have found too many unhappy customers,  and so do not provide this service.

As said,  when it works it's brilliant, but there are too many occasions when it doesn't, so sellers won't offer the option.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Thanks for the reply.

What I am refering to is listings that are listed with the option to Click & Collect at the listed price and the seller has also put the option to 'make an offer'. When choosing to make an offer, the usual window pops up to type in the amount and the following step is to choose payment method and delivery address, at this point there is no option to choose Click & Collect. Yet if choosing to buy it now, click and collect is available as it is mentioned on the listing main page.

Why is it listed as an option on the main page but it is excluded when going through the steps of making an offer?

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Sorry but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. It's not the issue with C&C as such, it's the fact that you are not able to choose C&C when yo make an offer. Surely as an experienced mentor you should be aware of the issue?

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

I suspect your problem is because the seller has opted into pre-approved payments, it's also called automatic payments.

This is when the seller requires the buyer to enter their payment details before they can make an offer.

If the seller accepts the offer payment is  taken straight away.

Although it's supposed to be optional, eBay has turned it on for many sellers without telling them, so the seller might not know they've been opted in.

The drawbacks are numerous for  the buyer once they provide the information.

EBay will apply it automatically to any offers made to sellers who are opted in.

But amongst other things the buyer can't change the payment method or delivery address, use nectar vouchers, get combined postage or use click and collect.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Yep, after we make an offer and is accepted, ebay simply take over and we loss all control over our own purchases. Rubbish new process!!!

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Just seen this response from you, and  oops you are right ,  bit harsh in your post,   but I agree , it's not that I did not know the rules,   but that I did not read the opener correctly,  my Bad,   and yes there is more than the one issue when offers are now accepted alongside,   Not being able to offer Click and Collect, not being able to select payment method use vouchers / coupons or have postage combined.

We have heard they are tweaking the system to change some of these points,  but seems like it's taking it's time.

@kbuay 

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

I just ran into the same issue. During checkout, eBay gives you the option for click and collect, which is extremely useful if you are not going to be home. But if you make an offer on an item, as I was about to do, you have to agree to immediate purchase if the offer is accepted and, as I just discovered, although you can specify a different delivery address from your address book, the option to choose a pickup point disappears, which is obviously a poorly-considered oversight by eBay site programmers. Which doesn’t help me as I’m going away on Saturday for ten days, and will be moving around a bit.  I've had to resort to a workaround by contacting the seller to suggest that instead of making an offer, I buy the item at full price and they send it to me by next day delivery. Then I can be sure to receive it before I go.   This is far from ideal and I agree - eBay should get this fixed asap.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: