Best offers

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can help?

I have tried to to put in best offers to buy something and it takes me to a confirm details, then when I click send it goes back to the make offer page without the offer going through.

I have been putting in best offers for several years with no issues. 
As a seller, I am receiving best offers without issues and they are going through?

Not sure why it's changed, a quandary.

thanks

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Best offers

Is it any thing to do with pre authorised payments?

If it is it's because the seller has got "require buyer to provide a payment method before making an offer" ticked in their buyer requirements.

They might not realise it's been ticked because although it's supposed to be optional eBay have been activating it without telling sellers.

There are lots of posts about pre authorised payments.

Here's one thread. https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying/making-an-offer/td-p/7440610 

And this is another thread. https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying/auto-pay-on-send-an-offer-items/td-p/7463228 

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Best offers

@douglaspuglas wrote:

Is it any thing to do with pre authorised payments?

If it is it's because the seller has got "require buyer to provide a payment method before making an offer" ticked in their buyer requirements.

They might not realise it's been ticked because although it's supposed to be optional eBay have been activating it without telling sellers.

There are lots of posts about pre authorised payments.

Here's one thread. https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying/making-an-offer/td-p/7440610 

And this is another thread. https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying/auto-pay-on-send-an-offer-items/td-p/7463228 

This does sound like the most likely explanation. When we buy by auction win or BIN, what is wrong with paying as soon as a commitment is formed? For an offer is a firm commitment, amounting to giving the seller an option to treat it as a BIN.

An obvious answer is that the new system prevents the negotion of combined postage. But the same appies to auctions or BIN sale when immediate payment is specified. At least with an offer you can pitch it at a price that saves you what you think combined postage ought to save you. While nothing you add in the accompanying message box can be binding on the seller, you can explain the price you offered.

Only best offer necessarily imposes a delay between the buyer's commitment and the buyer's having to part with the cash. It is obviously best to avoid further searches and comparisons while the seller's option is open, as they  will only unsettle you.

ebay have clearly decided that this delay produces a higher proportion of buyers reneging than auction or BIN sales. They have the statistics, and we don't.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Best offers

It rather looks like eBay have taken steps to respond to very reasonable sellers' complaints about buyers accepting offers then not paying. But the 'solution' has been glitched, thus creating a bigger problem of not being able to do offers at all. This sort of thing tends to be par for the course with eBay. 

General Omar Bradley once said something along the lines of "you only move from a situation of minor conflict to one of a larger stalemate at great cost."

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Best offers

@237ben wrote:

It rather looks like eBay have taken steps to respond to very reasonable sellers' complaints about buyers accepting offers then not paying.

I I think you are talking about offers sent by sellers to buyers who have watch-listed their items. (I used to consider that as spam, till I got a couple of very useful bargains that way.) I don't believe these, which aren

t termed "best offer", are the source of this problem. After all the buyer isn't forced to wait, and if he wsants the item, is likely to pay at the same time as he would anything else.

Unlike "Best offer", if he gives up and doesn't pay, I doubt if the seller would know he had tried to accept.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Best offers

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Best offers

I am an occasional ebay buyer.  Last month I tried to make a best offer bid.  The best offer review page had all my details correct.  When i clicked on make offer, i received a red message to "review payment details or change payment method".  I thought this was strange since earlier that day I purchased using "buy it now" and my credit card details were all in my account.  I clicked on "select" for the "pay with" option and had to choose credit card and enter all my details again.  I saved the details and returned to the "review offer" window.  When clicking make offer, the red message appeareda again.  It is a loop and I cant make an offer.

I was passed through 12 reps after reps, via chat and phone and they all said nothing is wrong with my account.  All troubleshooting did not work (incognito, new browser, new laptop, new internet, delete cookies).  My bank says ebay was not blocked for security on my card.

ANYONE have this problem or solution.  Ebay cant help me.  I only have a credit card, no paypal etc.

I made a new account and was able to make an offer.  but when I tried to make a counter offer, the loop started again.  I entered my CC details (and received an emal saying "thanks for saving a payment method for best offers and auctions).  But I cant complete any offers on my new account either.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: