Sales Downfall in March 2024

I wonder if anyone else noticed a sudden downfall in sales.

Sales are non existent in March however January and February were reasonabley good months.

Please share your thoughts!

Message 1 of 140
See Most Recent
139 REPLIES 139

@therenewalworkshopltd wrote:

@treemas   I am also curious as to why a Private seller, is posting on a business forum?

Or are you just another pretending to be?

I'd guess for the same reason that you and many other business sellers post on Seller Central, they're both public boards open to any member who has something relevant to say in reply to a topic.

I like to read far more than I post on this board, it's very informative and often helpful as business sellers probably spend more time on ebay than the average private seller.  They spot problems and find work-arounds quicker and often have different points of view about changes, their causes and likely consequences, from private sellers.  All of which is of interest to me.

Although I'm only a private seller I do reply from time to time to add a private seller's point of view.  Something that some business sellers must find informative and appreciate as, not so long ago, I noticed  that somehow I'd managed to glean enough Kudos to get onto the "Most Helpful" board and not for the first time.

Message 81 of 140
See Most Recent

I am a private seller and did not realise I had posted on a business platform. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I shall try to make sure I post in the correct section in future.

Message 82 of 140
See Most Recent

The business board is intended for business topics. There are many private sellers who post here so don't let anybody put you off. Just be aware that the threads and posts will have a business point of view.

Message 83 of 140
See Most Recent

I'm sorry if I confused you, I was replying to @therenewalworkshopltd  who was curious about why you were posting on the Business Seller Board.

I completely agree with @the_book_seekers , this board may be more business oriented but it is still open to all, so don't be put off.

The Seller Central Board might be seen by some as being more appropriate for private sellers, more general,  less specifically business topics but both are open to all and plenty of business sellers post on both.  As I said earlier, there are interesting topics here that sometimes are never aired on Seller Central.  

Message 84 of 140
See Most Recent

Just to clarify, I'm well aware that the board is open to everyone.

However, there are a LOT of sellers who pretend to be private sellers, yet are running a business.

It really is amazing the amount that some private sellers seem to sell, yet they are their own second hand goods, or NEW in many cases!

I don't know about you, but I don't have a lot of brand new items that I keep in my cupboard, to sell on Ebay.

That was what I was poking at.  And it really doesn't take much to work it out.

Message 85 of 140
See Most Recent

Sales aren't good, but I've just realised that about half of my listings have changed from free postage to £2.99 postage.   No idea how that's happened but I'm having to go through each item individually to change them back as I do charge postage on some items.

Message 86 of 140
See Most Recent

Theres definitely a sporadic on/off switch with sales. One day is really good, following day dead. I dont believe that is just ebbs and flows as they are two extremes.

Message 87 of 140
See Most Recent

Min wage is now £ 11.44 per HR. The way i see it, I doubt alot of people make even half of that on eBay since 2023.

Let's be honest, no one here making minumum wage on eBay, if they are then they are clearly working about 1 hr a day.

So its a hobby, a hobby shouldn't provide your main income really, as you should love what you are doing, technically youd do it for free,  or even at a large loss financially, but gain in other ways.

Don't love your hobby, hobby making you sad ? Find something else to do.

This business/ Hobby model is dead. Im glad im nearly out, id rather smash 20 Hours in Tesco for £11.44 helping people at self checkout than be here. Far less lonely as well !

If your willing to work for free, eBay is more than happy to have you here, because they make money regardless !

Message 88 of 140
See Most Recent

Keep listing, Paying shop fees etc. Lol, eBays not the looser.

Message 89 of 140
See Most Recent

Just because you are demoralised at what you have done selling on Ebay, does not mean that everyone else is.

If your willing to work at it, it is a perfectly viable business model.  It takes time and effort, but does work.

Yes, those sellers who are just basically doing a hobby selling on here, are never going to make a living at it.

It's like playing at work, you will soon lose your job.

But there are many business's on Ebay that are doing perfectly fine.

Message 90 of 140
See Most Recent

Best of luck with that !

Hopefully you are making a 'living'.

But then off course it does depend on how you want to live, where you live, and who you live with.

Doesnt it ?

Message 91 of 140
See Most Recent

I would advise you to look at and track the eBay 'Award winners' 2020-2023 and track how much 'of a living' they are making, and how much the award winners have changed.

The further you go back the more you can learn.

Message 92 of 140
See Most Recent

I really don't care how the Ebay "Award winners" are doing.

It has absolutely no bearing on what I'm doing.

I've been in online retail for almost 10 years now and have made a good steady living doing exactly that.

Frankly, if nobody was doing ok with it, they wouldn't still be selling here.

You obviously are struggling to do so.

Message 93 of 140
See Most Recent

So you have been in online retailing 10 years, but registered as a LTD for less than 1.

Never had another LTD that has filed a return.

Crazy !

Again, best of luck !

You have some great stocks, sadly in none of the colours i like in my size.

Message 94 of 140
See Most Recent

The Ltd, that you are seeing is only for the clothing business.

Which I am new to.

That however does not mean that I don't have other irons in the fire.

And something that I not going to appraise you off, on an open forum.

Message 95 of 140
See Most Recent

Obviously, I mean that is to be expected !

I mean this isnt my 'Real' Business, I cant talk about the 'others'.

I mean 'daddy' left those to me i cant speak of those.

Message 96 of 140
See Most Recent

That doesn't even merit a full response.  I won't bother answering you any further.

Message 97 of 140
See Most Recent

Yup clearly not making a living from eBay.

Message 98 of 140
See Most Recent

You know what, how you can work that out, is clearly amazing!

How on earth do you know what my margins are, my profitabilty and so on, just from looking at a single ebay account?  Or a company that has not even got a full year results yet. 

And that doesn't just limit you to a single company, or even trading as a sole trader.
Why on earth would I be VAT registered on my company, when it's not turning over anywhere near enough to hit the threshold yet?

Any proper online retailer, is not going to be selling on a single platform.  It makes no sense to do otherwise.

You obviously have failed at selling on Ebay.  No doubt, that applies to anywhere else you have tried to sell.

And now you just want to pick at others, because of it.

Message 99 of 140
See Most Recent

Awaiting your 1st year filing.....

Added you to follow list.

Message 100 of 140
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: