Problems with Royal Mail delivery delays - Again!

555njp
Conversationalist

Understandably there were delays while RM were on strike but are businesses aware that in some areas RM are now grouping mail (letter and LL 2nd class and RM48) and only delivering once a week? This appears to be due staff shortages over the summer hols.

If you catch this wrong, it means your item may not get to your buyer for nearly 2 weeks.

I've had customers quite rightly asking why their item hasn't arrived 10 days after posting.

Had same with recent purchases too. Three items bought from separate sellers (one used several times before without problems), all three we had to chase, two finally arrived after 9 days, the 3rd is still out there but it seems our post day is now only Friday so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

This could play havoc with INR metrics.

Anyone else got this issue or is it just Essex?

Message 1 of 54
See Most Recent
53 REPLIES 53

Just wanted to add, as I can't edit the above comment.

I've got items that have been delivered from weeks ago, yet still show as 'In Transit' on the EB system, so proof enough it doesn't work.

Message 41 of 54
See Most Recent

We had loads of problems starting around the middle of November. INR cases went through the roof, paying out refunds  it items then getting delivered weeks later. We closed our ebay shop last Monday as we cannot risk the drop in our seller level and the extra fees eBay will change if we go before standard for INR cases being opened.

It's terrible and eBay can see exactly what is going on bur refuse to do anything to help. We had to close last Christmas die to the strikes and now again this Christmas due to a very poor postal service.

Message 42 of 54
See Most Recent

Royal Mail are having a nightmare by us at the minute.     This week i have had 4 different letters (over different days) for other people in my area.    They get the house number right but the letters are for people 2 or 3 roads away.   I obv take them round 😞

Message 43 of 54
See Most Recent

That's disgusting treatment, letting a trader go under through no fault of there own, I think it now makes it easier to claim for missing items by unscrupulous buyers, especially if not tracked, I'm waiting for 12 late deliveries to arrive, one or two from Nov! and most supplied without real Tracking No.s so can't even be tracked....

I've waited up to 4 weeks for items to turn up and one did take 4 weeks!

As a buyer that buys gear to use, how long can we (Buyers) accomodate the delivery services incompetance, it makes genuine buyers frustrated and can make sellers reputation hit the floor because of a 3rd Party, it's ridiculous and agree EB just doesn't care as long as the Fees roll in.

It won't happen but think they need to be forced to change, but the UK Gov/Trading Standards are useless and won't do a thing.

Sorry to hear your woes and good luck in the future.

Message 44 of 54
See Most Recent

Some on our road have had no post for 2 weeks and we live about 2 miles from a main sorting office, bet there's someone on our road thinking, woooo! love all these free Nikon bits....I currently have 12 late or missing deliveries.

Message 45 of 54
See Most Recent

Hopefully you won't leave poor feedback for your sellers.   Can't believe eBay aren't recognising that there is a problem. 

Message 46 of 54
See Most Recent

I never leave negative feedback, go check ; ) (I'm honest in my feedback, some sellers might not agree but as an older buyer, I call a spade a spade, no fluff from me, the better sellers appreciate 'constructive' feedback), unless absolutely necessary, even when I've received items that weren't as described, because I knew they'd be broken with a common fault the sellers weren't aware of, and I know sometimes it's out of sellers control, unlike recently a seller asking me to claim for a missing  item then suggesting I claim for more than it was worth! That's fraud and yet EB know but still allow the seller to sell, another example of EB not giving a poop.

They (EB) know full well there's a problem, but don't really care, it's all about the AD's now, as sellers and buyers fall away. Their own fault.

Message 47 of 54
See Most Recent

This is the first time I have used EBAY; my first 2 items I purchased the postage via EBAY and was surprised that the words EBAY were printed on the lable in left hand corner.  Advertising, that they clearly are a "Goods" in transit.  Needless to say, 5 days later the Tracked 48 have still not reached their destination.  For the next, item (higher value) I purchased outside of EBAY and no issues at all (I just updated the tracking info), could be a coincidence but I think EBAY should reconsider advertising on postage lables.

Message 48 of 54
See Most Recent

There is no need to buy from eBay simply buy the postage at the Post Office.

@freem-ian 

Message 49 of 54
See Most Recent

Probably coincidence, I doubt the eBay wording has anything to do with your delay, a thief will know that ANY parcel has goods in transit and to be honest, eBay might be less attractive to a thief as could be secondhand tat?

You can buy labels in the Post Office but be aware that eBay and RM online are cheaper.

I suspect your item will arrive, it's a tracked service but these often do not get to their destination within the 48 hrs.
RM received a big fine before Christmas for missing delivery targets.
That said, since starting this thread, RM have definitely made improvements to their service but it's far from perfect. Of my last 30 RM48 parcels (sent this year), 3 turned up late including one that took 10 days! The other 27 got there on time. 
Last week my son had a parcel posted using RM24 which arrived 5 days after posting.

Worse case, if it does get lost you can get compensation from RM but it does take a while for them to investigate.

Message 50 of 54
See Most Recent

Out of curiousity, did you claim the postage for the late deliveries, if RM do not deliver for the service you paid for then you can get money back. (Something they don't advertise ; ) )

Message 51 of 54
See Most Recent

No, they only offer that on their next day guaranteed (special) delivery I think.

RM24 and RM48 are budget versions of special delivery and if you read the small print it says something like "we aim to deliver 95% within the time but it is not guaranteed".

I did claim for a few losses though and they settled those claims with a book of first class stamps. Trouble is it takes about 6 weeks as they won't entertain a claim until 10 working days after the latest estimated delivery date, then they take 30 days to investigate.

If you are a business, they only compensate for your purchase price, not sold and you have to upload invoices to prove. As far as I know, no other courier does this.

It's much better for private sellers though as they will pay the eBay sold price when you provide a copy of the sold page.

Message 52 of 54
See Most Recent

I never specifically said Tracked blah blah hrs....It was a general comment to help a newbie, one needs to do ones own research as hand holding is extra....

I never make a not arrived claim through EB as it's nothing to do with them, it's between the seller and the service, EB use it to protect their declining reputation and make unfair decisions outside Consumer Protection Rights, plus any service have their own legal obligations, their (EB) 'Terms' do not overide those, so if anyone is listening be aware and do some homework and do not let EB control what you do.

I always contact the seller and make them aware if something hasn't arrived and ask them to contact the service and EVERY time it works out fine for me and the seller without EB's interference and as I've no idea if a not delivered claim affects the sellers reputation or EB's childish 'score' as if it did that is totally unfair and BS to be honest if it is the case.

Why do you think people are leaving and eventually EB will become a MySpace wannabe except for greedy overpriced sellers or ADs....Just like Grabazon.

How much you can get depends on what happened to the item.

IF THE ITEM WAS DELAYED:

If the item was sent to somewhere within the UK, the normal compensation is a book of 6 first class stamps. There are exceptions if it was sent by special delivery, Tracked 24 or Tracked 48.

If the item was sent by special delivery guaranteed by 9am, you’ll get a full refund of the postage cost.

If the item was sent by special delivery guaranteed by 1pm or special delivery Saturday guarantee, you’ll get £5. You’ll get £10 if it arrives at least 7 working days after it was due to arrive.

If the item was sent using the Tracked 24 or Tracked 48 service, you can’t get compensation for a delay.

If the item was sent to somewhere outside the UK, you can’t get compensation for a delay.

IF THE ITEM WAS DAMAGED OR LOST IN THE POST:

If the item was sent to somewhere within the UK, how much you can get depends on how it was sent. If it was sent:

• by first or second class post, you can get the value of the item up to £20

• by first or second class signed for post, you can get the value of the item up to £20

• by special delivery by 1pm, you can get the value of the item up to £750 – or more if there’s extra insurance for the item

• by special delivery by 9am, you can get the value of the item up to £50

• using the Tracked 24 or Tracked 48 service, you can get the value of the item up to £150

• using the articles for the blind service, you can get the value of the item up to £46

If the item was lost and you can prove it was worth some money, you’ll also get a full refund of the postage cost.

Message 53 of 54
See Most Recent

i bought an  instrument somewhere still out there minus degree  night temperatures im getting worried and yet again angry royal mail has had it 

Message 54 of 54
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: